pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
Soup and dumplings: my usual Lenten Wednesday supper. It should, of course, be a vegetable soup; but what I happen to have is the carcass of a chicken simmering under water in a crock-pot along with an onion and a couple cloves of garlic, so in the spirit of minimalism I'm going to use what I have.

The ballet school schedule this year is a killer as far as having family dinner this year: Rachel's and my class usually ends just as Anne's begins. They're 90-minute classes and run from early to late evening, so there's a three-hour block starting about at the end of my work day that's simply chopped out of the day every day but Friday. Wednesday's classes don't start until 18:30, so we can have a quick soup-and-biscuit before class but only if I'm organized enough to have the crock-pot plugged in before I leave for work.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well I was supposed to have Mac and Cheese and Quorn brand "Chicken" patties last night but we ended up going out to eat...so tonight we'll have the mock chicken patties and organic mac and cheese... :D

Oh, you're vegetarian?

My mother was a vegetarian for years. I must admit I actually grew fond of the mock Chicken. :)

Upvote 0

Mrs.Sidhe

Jan 11, 2005
East Central Georgia
✟5,040.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, you're vegetarian?

My mother was a vegetarian for years. I must admit I actually grew fond of the mock Chicken. :)
You'd love Quorn patties and things then--they taste the best--a bit pricey--but good as an occasional buy and a good change from Morningstar or Boca...

I'm currently shifting my diet to vegetarian (Ovo-Lacto). So I'm slowly cutting out meat as it gets eaten for meals in the house and then replacing it with mock meats, falafel mix or other things I like---I'm almost done with meat in the house---I only have a bit of beef left.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you make your own? Or are you going out?

I had a business lunch booked at a sushi restaurant for today, but my colleague is ill so I've had to cancel:cry:
I bought it at the supermarket this time. I have made it myself before a couple of times... it is nicer than the store-bought kind, but not as nice as the restaurant kind!

When I used to sail, we sometimes had *fresh* (as in, minutes-old) tuna sashimi... :yum:

Upvote 0
C

ChaliceThunder

I bought it at the supermarket this time. I have made it myself before a couple of times... it is nicer than the store-bought kind, but not as nice as the restaurant kind!

When I used to sail, we sometimes had *fresh* (as in, minutes-old) tuna sashimi... :yum:
Pure ambrosia - there is nothing like minutes old sashimi! Where did you have yours? Part of my childhood was in Hawaii, so sashimi (and rice) were on the menu all the time.

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm making elk chili tonight. With cornbread. And a salad.

:)
My Dear Lady, can you tell us a bit more about elk chilli, I love very hot food, married to a South Indian Lady. I do cook some lovely Indian Curry which I learnt from my beloved Elizabeth.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
Simple meals are a pretty normal part of Lenten discipline for most Anglicans I know; so I'm presuming that trend holds generally among the members of this board. And most practice remission of that discipline for the celebration of the Lord's Day each week.

So while the Clan doesn't "do" dessert during Lent, Sunday supper becomes something special by boasting that extra course. Certain nursery-lawyers whose names will not be mentioned have suggested that since Saturday supper is served after sun-down, it is properly part of the Lord's Day and should be accompanied by dessert; whereas Sunday night supper should be accompanied by dessert because it is served on Sunday, which we all know is the Lord's Day.

I'm too strict and stern to be taken in by the both/and argument, but I am willing to consider the possibility that Saturday is the more logical day for dessert on the grounds that we can linger over it in enjoyment a little longer than on a school night.

In which case, any suggestions for a good dessert for tomorrow night? In default of any better suggestions, it will probably be fresh baked nectarines in custard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Last night we had a roast dinner - free-range chicken, so I made some stock with the remains, and tonight I used that stock to make chicken and vegetable soup. It was delicious! I love homemade soup.

Upvote 0

Mrs.Sidhe

Jan 11, 2005
East Central Georgia
✟5,040.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I made a treat for my sidhe tonight..

A surf and turf meal with steak and shrimp scampi ( I know its redundant to say shrimp scampi) with au gratin potatoes, a salad, yummy peas, and some red wine with Creme Brulee for dessert (the creme brulee I did not make--they have them frozen at Target--they include the sugar to put on top! It was SOOOOOO good. Really top notch. I make better but for something quick and easy and that decadent and yummy it sure beats me making a custard!)

Upvote 0

junegillam

Sep 17, 2005
✟566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
hot soup, yum!

for tonight here i've got lamb sirloin chops and will fix mock fried rice using brown rice, scrambled egg, and peas, with soy sauce--it's the only way DH will eat brown rice and he LOVES it this way--along with green peas and maybe some sliced tomatoes if i get the energy to go to the store after working out at the gym.

i'm on a weird new diet--on alternate days, only canned hi protein shakes, traded off with regular meals on the other day, but on sunday, shakes for brk and lunch with regular dinner. kind of interesting and a bit do-able for 2+ weeks so far, since i know i can eat normally without counting calories on the every 2nd day, so to speak. a book is coming out on it in april on amazon.com; it's called the Alternate Day Diet, if anyone is interested.

cheers,
junebug...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

junegillam

Sep 17, 2005
✟566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MAYBE stuffed cornish hens, though might leave that for tomorrow nights dinner.

today is a liquid diet day but i've found that i sleep better with a liquid shake for brk and lunch and a real dinner and even a real snack before bedtime, such as my fav ice cream!

u scream
i scream
we all scream
i scream

just couldn't resist!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.