Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
It is through obedience to Jesus and HIS holy day do we find deliverance by our obedience. Nothing or nobody will steal my resolve to worship and obey my father's convenants and parables with us. What a amazing GOD so full of love . Thank you Jesus for making Salvation so accessible AMEN

Upvote 0

Believer-in-Christ

Life is Christ
Nov 18, 2004
Visit site
✟23,414.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Going back to what I was saying before. What I wanted to really get to was how SOME adventists, not all, murder the whole topic of Sabbath to the point where i've found myself wanting to change the conversation. All I ask of them is to acknowledge that everyday we should set aside time for the Lord. Even if it's only 5 minutes.

Upvote 0

smooze

Contributor
Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
✟95,567.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
Agreed....We should continually be in awe of God and constantly pray and honor HIM. When the time of persecution comes and the Sunday LAW ( it is in the works) I will be be steadfast in my belief in the Saturday Sabbath. I will follow the crooked path the hard and dangerous, strife, ridden road. I thank Jesus for showing me the way AMEN

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
Believer-in-Christ said:
Going back to what I was saying before. What I wanted to really get to was how SOME adventists, not all, murder the whole topic of Sabbath to the point where i've found myself wanting to change the conversation. All I ask of them is to acknowledge that everyday we should set aside time for the Lord. Even if it's only 5 minutes.

If we will only set aside five minutes then I would have to doubt that the person in question has a real relationship with Jesus Christ.

For those who are married, what would happen if they only wanted to give five minutes of every day to each other?

I am not going to specify a set amount of time that one should set aside each day and that time does not have to be spent in doing indepth Bible study all the time but some good advice comes to us saying that "it would be good for us to spend a thoughtful hour every day contemplating the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes".

Upvote 0
S

Starr SDA Living Word

I follow the Love Letter Christ left us, It says test all things, I have and I am ensured that the Sabbath is Saturday and for those who don't follow the truth that is in the Bible will be mark with the beast, Unless they neither new about it. But God himself said in the Bible everyone will know. So Please pray about this, I am praying for all that the Blinders will come off and that all human kind will learn his truths and then make there decisions.

God Bless and Have a Great Day.
Starr

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

nahmish said:
no amount of legalistic "only allowed to do blah blah on sabbath" is going to get you to heaven....im sick of people saying that and thinking they have a head above other churches because of it...

Nahmish, God set the rules, Adventists didn't.

Believer said:

While I agree that many Adventists focus more on the LAW of God than the LOVE of God sometimes, I have to remind you that YOU started this thread and none of us were "murdering" the topic of Sabbath when you did. To say that "Oh God doesn't care what day we worship Him on" is murdering a commandment so you're going to get some kickback for that, did you expect otherwise?

Here is my pet peeve and I'm going to say this as nicely as I can. Usually the main difference people see in Adventists compared to other denominations is that we keep the 4th commandment. Since they don't, (most of them anyway), they come in swinging with reasons why we SHOULDN'T. Keeping the fourth commandment is the ONLY one that will get you labelled as a legalist....we all know that to be true. When we keep the commandment NOT to murder nobody calls us a legalist. When we keep the commandment NOT to put any other gods before Him nobody calls us a legalist. But when we obey the commandment that actually takes some effort on our part, we're legalistic? Interesting.

The Bible tells me that I'm not being legalistic, it tells me that I'm obeying God because I LOVE Him. 1 John 5:2 - By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. It doesn't get much plainer than that!

Anyway, long story short.....they only disagree with this ONE commandment so they approach Adventists with it and harp on this ONE commandment......then turn around and say we are obsessive about it!!!! How ironic is THAT????!!!!!

To an Adventist or anyone that keeps the Sabbath, it's a non-issue. We know it's God's commandment and we follow it. It's not something we obsess about. Quite the contrary even, we defend our choice to follow God by others that are obsessive and they throw their label at us.

There, I think I kept that pretty "nice."

And for the record, I worship and praise God every single day of the week. Everybody should and that's what the Bible tells us to do. I cease from all work and commune with God on the day He commanded me to. That's not obsessive, that's smart. :) End of story.

Upvote 0

maitiu

Mar 29, 2005
New York City
✟15,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To be honest, people get too worked up in petty doctrinal issues about what day of the week is the "true Sabbath", and whine about others who don't follow their day.

In western culture, the 7th day is actually Sunday, with Monday being the first; and hence, we're still following God's commandments. Sabbath does not have anything to do with Saturday in meaning. Sabbath actually means day of rest. The Bible states clearly that we are there to benefit from the Sabbath, NOT the Sabbath to benefit from us. Hence, this day of rest is there to give us a chance to get closer to and not to forget our Lord.

Upvote 0

NeverADullMoment

Aug 23, 2005
✟281.00
Faith
Christian
Matt4Jesus said:
To be honest, people get too worked up in petty doctrinal issues about what day of the week is the "true Sabbath", and whine about others who don't follow their day.

In western culture, the 7th day is actually Sunday, with Monday being the first; and hence, we're still following God's commandments. Sabbath does not have anything to do with Saturday in meaning. Sabbath actually means day of rest. The Bible states clearly that we are there to benefit from the Sabbath, NOT the Sabbath to benefit from us. Hence, this day of rest is there to give us a chance to get closer to and not to forget our Lord.

Oh for pete's sake. LOL I don't know anybody that whines about people not following "their" day. The Bible always, always, always, refers to the Sabbath as GOD'S holy day.

In our culture, Saturday is the 7th day. If I were in another country I would honor the seventh day on their calendar. But just like here in the states, I studied which day is the seventh day and then I made sure that had never changed during history.

I totally disagree that the Sabbath has nothing to do with the 7th day (which is Saturday). God specifically singled out the SEVENTH day.

It's a real easy commandment, but the only one people make stupid excuses not to follow. AMAZING!

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
Matt4Jesus said:

I am not sure how you get the idea that Saturday is not the 7th day of the week.

Ask any RC what day of the week that Christ rose on, was it the first day of the week or the seventh day of the week?

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

See, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I don't think I've ever seen Matt4Jesus before, and when I do it's him telling us that we get too worked up over this one commandment. LOL And we are obsessive about it, eh? Come on, common sense has to come into play when studying the Bible too. Good ol' common sense says that the seventh day is the day to cease from all work....so I too disagree that the Sabbath doesn't have anything to do with the seventh day....the Bible disagrees as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaleHorse

Veteran
Jun 1, 2005
Arkansas
Visit site
✟16,859.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Matt4Jesus said:

The cultural shift of the calendar that I think you referring to is a fairly new innovation and if memory serves it was done to help the labor force (though I don't recall what the issue was that caused it).
With that said, all we have to do is either 1) look at a dictionary or encyclopedia to find which day is the seventh day, or 2) read the Bible - it is clear enough. Let's look at those verses that talk about the days around Calvary:
Matthew 28:1 - In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

This verse alone tells us which day is Sabbath; as the Sabbath was ending it began to dawn toward the first day of the week. Then we see that Mary & Mary came to the sepulchre on the first day. We know Christ was not in the sepulchre when they arrived for He has already risen - which no one argues was Sunday. What day preceeds Sunday and thus must be the Sabbath? Another word I want to point out in the above verse, the word the preceeding sabbath. The verse does not say "a" sabbath, it clearly says "the" sabbath - and "the", by definition, is an absolute, genuine article.

For a more complete answer to this question, I would encourage you to read (and comment on) one or both of the following essays:

Hebrews 4
Addressing some Anti-Sabbath Arguments

Upvote 0

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Davis said:
Why even Jesus worked on the sabbath.

Hello Davis--and welcome to our forum. I was wondering if you could show from scripture where Jesus "worked" on the Sabbath day?? Keep in mind--He was a carpenter!!! What house did he build or repair on the Sabbath? I'm just curious.

Blessings, Honor

Upvote 0

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I thought this would be an appropriate time to re-post this. It bears much thought. Especially to our Adventist friends in here who seem to have forgotten the SEVENETH-DAY ADVENTIST roots and biblical history. Quite frankly--I am SHOCKED at some of the posts I'm seeing in these rooms from so-called SDA's. It's like they come from a different demonination then true Adventism. Gee--no wonder EGW said it would look as if the church would fall just before the return of our Lord:--it's members don't even know the churches doctrines!!

Blessings, honor

SABBATH=SHA means “Eternal One”. AB, the root word of ABBA means FATHER. Bath or Beth means house of or sign of. Combined as SHABBATH they pack a powerful testimony---SIGN OF THE ETERNAL FATHER!!!!

What else can God do to get ppl to understand that His holy day is IMPORTANT to Him, except to put His OWN name in the heart of HIS own day????

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SassySDA

Aug 12, 2005
OH
✟1,169.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
nahMish said:
i totally agree....
and the older i get and the closer i get to God..the more reading that i do-the more i am becoming convinced that the church's "mark of the beast" aka-sunday worship is not the true mark of the beast.
jesus talks about the goats and the sheep-to me, that is not say "saturday" and "sunday".
no, its saying "have the holy spirit-have the fire, have the passion" and "dont have the passion, filled with satan."
no amount of legalistic "only allowed to do blah blah on sabbath" is going to get you to heaven....im sick of people saying that and thinking they have a head above other churches because of it...

I don't know what church you go to, or who told you that we believe that Sunday IS the mark of the beast or is even GOING to be, but I have never been told that in my church or from any other Adventist I know.

Granted you are going to find fanatics in ANYTHING, and if you put a few "fanatics" together, and in the right place they can give one a wrong view of anything they are connected with.

I believe in the National Sunday Law, yes, I do. I believe without a doubt in my mind that it's coming, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's before this present leader of our nation is out of office. This will only make it difficult on those who worship on God's holy day, to do so. That's all that's going to accomplish, along with persecution for those who defy that law...and I WILL be one of them.

The simple fact of the matter is that the mark of the beast is not going to be some literal mark on one's hand or forehead, it will simply be those who have chosen to turn from God's Laws. Chosen NOT to obey him. If you break ANY ONE of the ten commandments you break them ALL, so it's not relevant that most people happen to be breaking the 4th commandment. You could be breaking the 1st, 3rd, 7th, or 10th, or ALL of them. It matters not to the Lord, just that you are not keeping them.

If you don't like the fact that we OBEY God, if that makes you feel just a tad bit uncomfortable that we LOVE AND OBEY GOD, that we not only want the savior but GLORIFY in the LORD, then I suggest you check other threads out, and not post in here.

Your post came very close to being insulting, and this thread belongs to Seventh-day Adventists. You should check the rules out BEFORE you post.

Obviously you are one of the ones who believe they are "under grace", which I guess means the law was abolished and you can do whatever you like. First of all, that statement is ridiculous, and doesn't even make sense.

Seventh-day Adventists DON'T believe that their "works" will get them to heaven, nor are we "legalistic" as you have insinuated. We DO, however, believe that once we are truly saved and have asked Jesus to take control of our lives, and use our bodies and minds for the glorification of Him and whatever He WISHES us to do, one automatically obeys His commandments out of, not just respect, but out of the DEEPEST sense of love I have ever felt in my life.

Lastly, and in short, brother, if you don't agree with our fundamental beliefs then you need to please follow the rules and request to debate such, and that isn't done HERE.

I don't visit other denominations and "slam" any of their beliefs. That's plain rude and disrespectful. You are allowed to ASK questions here, and that is to be done in a RESPECTFUL manner. But if you are NOT SDA you are NOT permitted to debate here.

I, and I believe my fellow brethren, would appreciate the same courtesy we have afforded others in their "home" threads.

Thank you and may God bless you richly in knowledge of His word.

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

Davis said:
Why even Jesus worked on the sabbath.

Spoken like someone that hasn't read the Bible I'm afraid to say. The Pharisees ACCUSED Christ of working on the Sabbath and Christ REBUKED them for it sternly and told them it is 'lawful to do WELL on the Sabbath'. Now come on, you're not a Pharisee are you?

And you mean to tell me you are calling Christ a liar? He said it was lawful (i.e. NOT against the law of God to heal on the Sabbath).

http://www.christianforums.com/t1972612-did-christ-break-the-4th-commandment-of-god.html

Upvote 0

SassySDA

Aug 12, 2005
OH
✟1,169.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
TrustAndObey said:
Davis, the Pharisees also accused Christ of being a drunkard and being possessed by satan...do you agree with their stance on that TOO?

Great minds think alike!! I was just coming BACK to this thread because his "even Jesus worked on the Sabbath" comment was eating at me. I was thinking, "Is this person a PHARISEE?".

You beat me to it, sista, but that's ok.

Hey, I just noticed my reputation went up!! :blush:

Upvote 0

Davis

Veteran
Jul 23, 2005
Gowanda, NY
✟10,033.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read the Bible a lot.
Jesus told the blind man to take up his mat and walk. Something that was supposed to be not allowed on the sabbath. So the man obeyed him.
Jesus also healed on the sabbath. I dont know but I call that work in my eyes.
I dont call Jesus a liar and I'm pretty knowledgable in my faith.

Upvote 0