Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Again, why is the Creed not just quotations from the Bible? You know, the actual WORD OF GOD?
That was actually considered. The problem is that the Arians had interpretations of the words that the folks at Nicea thought were wrong. The whole point of Nicea was to deal with that. So they couldn't just quote John, they had to clarify what they thought the meaning was.

Upvote 0

indopanda

Jun 28, 2019
Chicago
✟11,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Separated
That was actually considered. The problem is that the Arians had interpretations of the words that the folks at Nicea thought were wrong. The whole point of Nicea was to deal with that. So they couldn't just quote John, they had to clarify what they thought the meaning was.

That's the issue for me though. 1700 years ago, the "leaders" of the church got together and decided upon the "correct" interpretation of John based on majority opinion. This interpretation was subsequently used to define the beliefs required to be a Christian and enforced through persecution and ostracism. Why should this be the case. If I agree that the Gospel of John is the Word of God but differ with you regarding what John is saying about the relationship between Jesus and the Father, does that mean I do not meet the definition of a Christian since I don't agree with the majority opinion instituted 1700 years ago?

It reminds me of my reflections on the Roe v Wade Supreme court case and the nature of the law. In that case, 5 justices deemed that Constitution protected abortion while 4 justices said no. Since the majority of the justices said yes, it is the position of the US government that abortion is protected under the constitution. Now, 4 justices believed that it was not protected by the Constitution and many people, including myself, still agree with them. Furthermore, if a similar case is retried and a majority decide the other way, the law and the official interpretation of the Constitution changes.

So because a majority of people in a position of authority decide on an interpretation and that interpretation is forced on everyone else, does it mean that their interpretation is correct or should be the basis for deciding things? I understand practical reality. Most Christians affirm the Creed's interpretation of John and most American's believe the Constitution protects abortion. But I don't think that should be the case and I know people throughout history have agreed with me.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's the issue for me though. 1700 years ago, the "leaders" of the church got together and decided upon the "correct" interpretation of John based on majority opinion.

A fairly large majority: everybody except Secundas and Theonas.

If I agree that the Gospel of John is the Word of God but differ with you regarding what John is saying about the relationship between Jesus and the Father, does that mean I do not meet the definition of a Christian since I don't agree with the majority opinion instituted 1700 years ago?

That is exactly correct. To be a Christian you have to believe what Christians believe.

Upvote 0

indopanda

Jun 28, 2019
Chicago
✟11,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Separated
A fairly large majority: everybody except Secundas and Theonas.

That is exactly correct. To be a Christian you have to believe what Christians believe.

Well considering that everyone who refused to accept the Creed was faced with exiled and excommunicated, I'm guessing there was strong pressure to accept the Creed. It's not really too impressive to say a majority was reached through coercion.

What's fascinating is that prior to the whole Trinity/Creed issue, Arias was against accepting people back into the church who had denounced their faith under persecution. Perhaps Secundas and Theonas were willing to hold to their convictions despite the threat of excommunication and exile. I suppose some people can't just go along with a majority they believe is wrong for the sake of acceptance by others.

As I continue my growth as a Christian, if I continue to encounter people who tell me I can't be a Christian if I don't accept the Nicene Creed, then I suppose it would be better to call myself a follower of Jesus instead. I guess it's probably for the best. The Christian name has been dragged through the mud by generations of people who profess the Nicene Creed and don't actually follow after Jesus. I guess I have answered by own question. What do you call someone who believes in the Bible? A follower of Jesus.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Do you really think John 1 is referring to the Logos as a separate creature, inferior to God? Arianism seems like one of the less likely systems even for a non-Trinitarian.

That was the interpretation they were trying to avoid by clarification.

Upvote 0

indopanda

Jun 28, 2019
Chicago
✟11,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Separated
Do you really think John 1 is referring to the Logos as a separate creature, inferior to God? Arianism seems like one of the less likely systems even for a non-Trinitarian.

That was the interpretation they were trying to avoid by clarification.

I think the Logos is separate from YHWH, and I think you do too. To say YHWH and Logos are not separate would be to support some sort of Modalism, but to say they are separate would indicate that the Logos is not YHWH. Since both of these options were considered problematic for people within the Church, the Trinitarian position was adopted. So Trinitarians hold that the Logos is both separated from YHWH yet simultaneously also YHWH. It avoids taking a stance one way or the other by holding to both simultaneously.

To me, this is unnecessary. Why not just chose the stance that is logical and makes sense based on Scripture? The Trinity is fundamentally illogical and depends upon not being able to comprehend the relationship between YHWH and LOGOS/Jesus. But is that the picture we get from scripture? Jesus and the Apostles are very clear about the relationship between Jesus and YHWH, it's the relationship between a son and a father. Is a son inferior to the father? The father exists first and possess everything. The son comes after and inherits what is the fathers.

I don't think God is a "creature." If you believe we are "creatures" then I would agree that Jesus is also a "creature" since Scripture tells us he was a man just like us. The main difference is that YHWH was literally his father. I also don't see a 1 to 1 equivalence between Logos and Jesus. The Logos became flesh and the result was the man Jesus. Though they are certainly related, I don't see a 1 to 1 equivalence.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think the Logos is separate from YHWH, and I think you do too. To say YHWH and Logos are not separate would be to support some sort of Modalism, but to say they are separate would indicate that the Logos is not YHWH.
So Trinitarians hold that the Logos is both separated from YHWH yet simultaneously also YHWH. It avoids taking a stance one way or the other by holding to both simultaneously.
First, I'm not going to comment on what I believe. I hold typical mainline Christology. That doesn't use the kind of ontological analysis that both sides at Nicea used.

John's "Word" was ultimately based on Jewish speculative thought involving Wisdom. Jewish language spoke of Wisdom (and I think some other qualities of God) as distinct from God. But if you pushed people to be literal about what I think wasn't entirely literal, I think they were "part of" God. So no, I don't think John meant that the Logos was separate from God. It's more likely that he was modalist than Arian.

God's Wisdom is not a separate entity. Yet John pretty obviously saw some kind of distinction, and I don't think it's just in how God revealed himself (which is what most people here think modalism is). He was God's partner in creation, which is before there was anyone to reveal to, and creation was kind of a basic act defining who God is.

It's this distinction within one God that later Trinitarian thought tried to describe, though one can argue whether the way they did it was ideal.

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To say YHWH and Logos are not separate would be to support some sort of Modalism, but to say they are separate would indicate that the Logos is not YHWH. Since both of these options were considered problematic for people within the Church, the Trinitarian position was adopted.

John 1:1 says that Jesus [if you believe "the Word" is synonymous with Jesus, as I do] is "with" God. I don't believe "separate" is appropriate here. The verb, in its most literal sense, means "move away", implying distance. "With" suggests "distinct", but also "together". I certainly agree that to say they are not "distinct" would imply modalism.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe "separate" is appropriate here. The verb, in its most literal sense, means "move away", implying distance.

In John 1:1 (Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος, καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν, καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος = In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God), the preposition πρὸς literally means "towards." That's usually translated "with," but the sense of closeness has also often been translated "face-to-face with."

Quite the opposite of "separate," as you say. However, a clear distinction is also being made, which (as you point out) rules out modalism.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Indopanda,

You do know that one of the primary defenders of the Nicene Creed (in some traditions, including that preserved in my own Church, one of the primary authors of it), Athanasius of Alexandria, also left us the earliest extant list of the standard 27-book NT canon, right? And that he was exiled five times under four different Roman emperors for a total of over 17 years of his time as the twentieth Pope of Alexandria, all for his defense of the faith against the Arians, who constantly sought to unseat him and have him replaced with people favorable to their position?

The first point speaks to the folly of your request that the Creed somehow be sidelined in favor of something "just based on the Bible", as there would be no "the Bible" as you or I or anyone else knows it if it were not for Athanasius (subsequent synods, such as those held in Roman North Africa at in Carthage, all came to independently accept the canon as found in Athansius' 39th festal letter of 367 AD), and the second point speaks to your fanciful view of history where there was supposedly all this pressure from some all-powerful Church to force or coerce anyone who didn't want to do so to accept the Nicene Creed, when in reality the pressure was on the defenders of the Creed of Nicaea for several centuries afterwards. Neither Nicaea nor the Creed produced there did away with Arianism or the Arians, as the Visigothic Kingdom in what is now Spain, for instance, shows. The Spanish Visigoths didn't convert from Arianism to Nicene Christianity until the 580s, and actually they had converted to Arianism significantly after Nicaea in the first place, in 376. In truth, Arianism in its 'classical' sense would linger on in various forms in Europe and North Africa until the 8th century or so, only to make a comeback with modifications in some of the more radical forms of theology that grew following the Protestant Reformation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

indopanda

Jun 28, 2019
Chicago
✟11,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Separated
Indopanda,

You do know that one of the primary defenders of the Nicene Creed (in some traditions, including that preserved in my own Church, one of the primary authors of it), Athanasius of Alexandria, also left us the earliest extant list of the standard 27-book NT canon, right? And that he was exiled five times under four different Roman emperors for a total of over 17 years of his time as the twentieth Pope of Alexandria, all for his defense of the faith against the Arians, who constantly sought to unseat him and have him replaced with people favorable to their position?

The first point speaks to the folly of your request that the Creed somehow be sidelined in favor of something "just based on the Bible", as there would be no "the Bible" as you or I or anyone else knows it if it were not for Athanasius (subsequent synods, such as those held in Roman North Africa at in Carthage, all came to independently accept the canon as found in Athansius' 39th festal letter of 367 AD), and the second point speaks to your fanciful view of history where there was supposedly all this pressure from some all-powerful Church to force or coerce anyone who didn't want to do so to accept the Nicene Creed, when in reality the pressure was on the defenders of the Creed of Nicaea for several centuries afterwards. Neither Nicaea nor the Creed produced there did away with Arianism or the Arians, as the Visigothic Kingdom in what is now Spain, for instance, shows. The Spanish Visigoths didn't convert from Arianism to Nicene Christianity until the 580s, and actually they had converted to Arianism significantly after Nicaea in the first place, in 376. In truth, Arianism in its 'classical' sense would linger on in various forms in Europe and North Africa until the 8th century or so, only to make a comeback with modifications in some of the more radical forms of theology that grew following the Protestant Reformation.

Firstly, I would counter that there would be no "the Bible" without God, as I firmly believe that God intervened to ensure that the appropriate inspired texts have carried through to us today. Perhaps you disagree, but if God had not used Athanasius to "codify" the New Testament, I am sure he would have used someone else. Just because God uses someone to bring about his will, that does not automatically make their doctrine sound.

I am aware of the pressure that came afterwards against the Creed. This was certainly a controversial issue in the early church and I believe the non-trinitarian non-modalist position has persisted in the face of opposition because there will always be people within and outside of the "church" who see why it makes sense from the Bible. I believe there has been fierce pressure within the church to force people to accept the creed and trinitarianism and I am positive history backs me up. Sure there was push back after the Creed, since I maintain the position is not actually biblical, but the Creed ends up winning out.

You could argue that the Creed wins out in the church because it is correct. I would argue that the Creed wins because it's proponents were more ruthless in putting down opposition. Furthermore, history is ultimately written by the victors. It's fine though. As I mentioned previously, I have learned from this website and this thread what defines a Christian so I will instead call myself a follower of Jesus. Or perhaps you have a definition of that which I am excluded from as well?

Upvote 0

indopanda

Jun 28, 2019
Chicago
✟11,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Separated
In John 1:1 (Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος, καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν, καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος = In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God), the preposition πρὸς literally means "towards." That's usually translated "with," but the sense of closeness has also often been translated "face-to-face with."

Quite the opposite of "separate," as you say. However, a clear distinction is also being made, which (as you point out) rules out modalism.

I would be careful about claiming what a word "literally" means when it was used by someone 2000 years ago. Furthermore, people don't always use words "literally" when they write.

I am not disputing that Logos and YHWH are not "close." I believe that the Logos came from YHWH at the beginning of time, so that is as close as you can get. I just do not believe the Logos is YHWH.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Firstly, I would counter that there would be no "the Bible" without God

This is not precluded by my point. We all believe that the Bible came from God, in one sense or another.

as I firmly believe that God intervened to ensure that the appropriate inspired texts have carried through to us today.

Sure.

Perhaps you disagree, but if God had not used Athanasius to "codify" the New Testament, I am sure he would have used someone else. Just because God uses someone to bring about his will, that does not automatically make their doctrine sound.

This is not the point. The point is not "Look at how great Athanasius is; what a guy!", but rather how strange it is that people (not just you or other unitarians, but lots of other people who claim to be 'Biblically-based') would accept the canon established by him as authoritative and God-given while completely discounting the idea that he might have something worthwhile to say about the content of the faith itself. It's not about if someone else would have done it if he hadn't, because (1) that's not how things actually worked out in history, and we are to respect God's prerogatives as God; (2) the canonization of the NT actually postdates the formulation of the Creed (367 vs. 325), making the Bible in that sense 'younger' than it (yes, the books were around, but they were not codified); and (3), the Creed did not establish orthodox Christian theology (that is to say, orthodox Trinitarianism), so much as codify it, meaning that what you say about the canonization of the scriptures ("someone else would have done it, because God wanted it done") can be equally applied to the establishment of proper Christian theology in the place of heretics, as nothing was made out of nothing at any of the councils, and the ante-Nicene fathers such as Ignatius of Antioch (late 1st-early 2nd century), Gregory Thaumaturgus (mid-late 3rd century), Ephrem the Syrian (mid-late 4th century), and others all testify to the preexisting belief in the Holy Trinity, with all that is missing from many of them being the language characteristic of Nicene Christianity itself, since they for the most part lived and died before the Council. (Even though that statement does not apply to him so much, I include St. Ephrem here as transitional figure of sorts, seeing as how he was born long enough before the council, in 306, to be cognizant of its aftermath and hence stand up to it and join any one of the many other sects then claiming to be the Church if it was so atrocious, and yet he did not do so, but instead defended its theology until his death in 373, particularly against the alternative of the Bardaisanites who were among the more popular heretical sects in the area of his native Nisibis, as their founder had written many hymns in their shared Syriac language.)

I am aware of the pressure that came afterwards against the Creed. This was certainly a controversial issue in the early church and I believe the non-trinitarian non-modalist position has persisted in the face of opposition because there will always be people within and outside of the "church" who see why it makes sense from the Bible.

Fine. I am only saying that this is a very inconsistent position to take, as you are using the scriptures bequeathed to you specifically by orthodox, Nicene Trinitarians to argue against the Nicene Trinitarian position.

I believe there has been fierce pressure within the church to force people to accept the creed and trinitarianism and I am positive history backs me up.

Not the history immediately following Nicaea and for several centuries afterwards, as I've already shown. It is perhaps good to remember in this context that Emperor Consantine, who usually gets the lion's share of the blame for 'inventing' this or that via the Council according to people who prefer to live in an ahistorical fantasy world, was himself baptized on his deathbed by an Arian -- not Nicene Trinitarian -- bishop, Eusebius of Nicomedia. His son and successor, Constantine II, was himself a semi-Arian (i.e., believing that Jesus was of a "similar", but not the same, substance as the Father; homoiousian, rather than the orthodox, Nicene homoousian position). The forced conversion of Arians to Nicene Christianity is only attested to once the actual kings of people who had previously been Arian (e.g., the Franks, the Visigoths, etc.) themselves converted to Nicene Christianity, which only began in 486 AD with the conversion of Clovis I, the King of the Franks (Riccared of the Visigoths would come later, but much later, in 589; this is how Arianism was able to hold on so long in what is now Spain). Since the King himself was not "within the Church" until he chose of his own will to put himself there, even that can be argued to not come from "within the Church" in the sense of again some all-powerful Church hierarchy forcing people to do this or that, since the Germanic peoples like the Franks and the Goths had been long acquainted with Arianism by that point (Wulfilas, the "missionary to the Goths" who was responsible for the translation of the Bible into the Gothic language, was an Arian, and he had passed away by 383, only a few decades after the Council, and still well within this period of doctrinal flux among the peoples of Europe), and no doubt many held onto it for quite some time after King Clovis I (hence the whole Arianism not dying out until the 8th century thing I mentioned in my other post). It was just more often than not the case in the ancient world, in Europe and beyond, that the religion of the king and his court became by default the religion of his kingdom, and some kings took that as reason or excuse to forcibly convert their subjects (not all; see, e.g., the much later King Armah of Axum who in 615-616 gave shelter in his kingdom to the nascent Muslim community). That doesn't really have anything to do with Nicaea or Nicene Christianity in particular unless you also want to accept that the same tendency was present in all of the places where Arianism or otherwise non-Nicene, non-Trinitarian Christianity predominated (e.g., the aforementioned Visigothic Kingdom between 376 and 589), and even in some places where it didn't thanks to the manipulations of the Arians after the council (e.g., Egypt, where Athanasius was frequently exiled from on account of them and their ability to persuade various emperors to their cause).

Sure there was push back after the Creed, since I maintain the position is not actually biblical, but the Creed ends up winning out.

Again, the Creed ends up "winning out" after about four hundred years of dealing with the followers of Arius all over the world, and then again after various strains of anti-Trinitarianism broke out during the "Radical Reformation" (distinct from the initial Protestant reformation, which was Trinitarian), and again today after dealing with their spiritual descendants once more in various anti-Trinitarian groups of this or that flavor found in the heresies of our own time, such as Mormonism, Oneness Pentecostalism, and other aberrations pretending to be 'restorations' of the true Christian faith. And this is without saying anything about other, completely non-Christian religions such as Islam, which drinks of the same poison but usually does not claim to have anything to do with Christianity (aside from the polemic that its followers are "better Christians than the Christians, since [they] don't make a man out to be God"...pfft...yeah, maybe not as far as concerns Jesus...), but has wreaked more havoc on Christianity than probably any other non-Christian movement.

You could argue that the Creed wins out in the church because it is correct.

Indeed.

I would argue that the Creed wins because it's proponents were more ruthless in putting down opposition.

And yet actual history is not on your side in this until much, much later with the Reformation (which was itself long after Arianism had died out), when English anti-Trinitarian John Asheton (can't spell his last name correctly without triggering the censors, but there should be two s's in it) was forced to recant of his position before Anglican bishop Thomas Cranmer in 1548. You can call this 'ruthless' or unfair all you want, but as Asheton himself was an Anglican priest, and hence Cranmer was his bishop, it was proper that his bishop hold him to the standards of the Anglican faith, which is traditionally holding to Nicene-Constantinoplitan theology. (Would that Anglican bishops would still do this all over the world and hence completely divorce quacks like John Shelby Sprong from their association with the Anglican faith!) Also around this time we began to see the burning of heretics at Geneva under Calvin, such as the burning of Spanish anti-Trinitarian Michael Servetus in 1553.

So I'm willing to grant that you are right about this...but in places far removed in time and space from the Council of Nicaea. There were over 1,200 years between the Council of Nicaea and Calvinists burning Michael Servetus in Geneva, for instance. It is such a long time between the two that if we were to consider that same span of time relative to right now, it would be like conflating the military campaigns of Charlemagne against the then newly-settled pagan Avars in what is now Hungary in 971 AD with the actions of Nicene Christian churches right now!

And that would obviously make very little sense. :scratch:

Furthermore, history is ultimately written by the victors.

*Looks over at his bookshelf at his copies of Severus Al Ashmunein's History of the Patriarchs of Alexandria, Irish Habib El Masri's Story of the Copts, and the 13th-century Martyrdom of John of Phanijoit*

Really? o_O This is news to me! I'm unaware of what sort of "victory" we've attained in my Church, other than the natural victory of being correct (which has certainly cost us much more than being incorrect would have), but since we haven't been able to convince the majority of the rest of the world of this in, oh, the last 1,600 years or so, I'm going to have to call baloney on this statement.

Go peddle that nonsense to someone to whom it applies, please.

It's fine though.

It's really not, though. You're making demonstrably incorrect and nonsensical statements in service of a theology that has always been rejected by the Christian Church, and then complaining that Christians won't accept you for it. While you're of course free to do so, the idea that you are being oppressed or excluded for this silliness is a bit much to take without comment.

As I mentioned previously, I have learned from this website and this thread what defines a Christian so I will instead call myself a follower of Jesus. Or perhaps you have a definition of that which I am excluded from as well?

Seeing as how the follower of Jesus are called Christians, that is just an attempt to abscond with the term by other means. Why not stick with "Unitarian", as you have it now in your info box? It describes your position in neutral terms, so anyone who wants to consider you a Christian can do so, so long as they do not parade it around on this Christian website, in the same way that Mormons and others are allowed to post in sections of this website, and identify themselves as Mormons or whatever it is they are that isn't Trinitiarian Christianity, but are not allowed to argue that their religion is Christian, since they do not adhere to the basic minimum of that belief.

"Christian" means something. The faith has content, and you disagree on the basics of that content, so of course you are not Christian, a.k.a. a follower of Jesus. But that's not me or anyone else excluding you from being considered as such. That's you excluding you from being considered as such, since you disagree with the basics of the faith. Nobody here or anywhere is making you do that, and I'm sure we'd all rather you didn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

indopanda

Jun 28, 2019
Chicago
✟11,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Separated
No, I'm pretty sure that I know what the word πρὸς literally means.

I wasn't implying you didn't know what the word literally meant, I was implying that it's hard to know what a word literally meant to someone who lived 2000 years ago. The meanings of words change over time, especially over 2000 years. Also people don't always use words literally. So your suggestion that you know what John was saying just based on the modern literal meaning of that greek word does not impress me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

indopanda

Jun 28, 2019
Chicago
✟11,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Separated
This is not the point. The point is not "Look at how great Athanasius is; what a guy!", but rather how strange it is that people (not just you or other unitarians, but lots of other people who claim to be 'Biblically-based') would accept the canon established by him as authoritative and God-given while completely discounting the idea that he might have something worthwhile to say about the content of the faith itself. It's not about if someone else would have done it if he hadn't, because (1) that's not how things actually worked out in history, and we are to respect God's prerogatives as God; (2) the canonization of the NT actually postdates the formulation of the Creed (367 vs. 325), making the Bible in that sense 'younger' than it (yes, the books were around, but they were not codified); and (3), the Creed did not establish orthodox Christian theology (that is to say, orthodox Trinitarianism), so much as codify it, meaning that what you say about the canonization of the scriptures ("someone else would have done it, because God wanted it done") can be equally applied to the establishment of proper Christian theology in the place of heretics, as nothing was made out of nothing at any of the councils, and the ante-Nicene fathers such as Ignatius of Antioch (late 1st-early 2nd century), Gregory Thaumaturgus (mid-late 3rd century), Ephrem the Syrian (mid-late 4th century), and others all testify to the preexisting belief in the Holy Trinity, with all that is missing from many of them being the language characteristic of Nicene Christianity itself, since they for the most part lived and died before the Council.

The duty of preserving scripture and ability to accurately discern the word of God are mutually exclusive. I trust that the Jewish leaders accurately preserved the word of God and transmitted it correctly, but Jesus showed us that they did not accurately interpret the word of God. So don't see why my usage of Athanasius's cannon of the New Testament should have any bearing on whether I accept his interpretation of scripture. You might find it strange, but I don't.

That's the whole point, heresy has been within the church since it's inception. You believe that the heresy of anti-Trinitarianism was gradually weeded out of the early church, while I see that particular heresy slowly taking root and solidify as the church became increasing influenced by Greek and Roman philosophy. The most insidious falsehoods are so close to the truth that they are readily believable. I get why people believe Jesus is YHWH. It's close to the truth since Jesus is the son of YHWH.

Paul warns in Acts that as soon as he leaves savage wolves will enter the church and not spare the flock. And in 2 Corinthians he warns that servants of Satan will masquerade as servants of righteousness. So it doesn't surprise me that prominent people within the church started pushing early formulations of the Trinity before Nicaea. If they interpreted Scripture in a way that seems patently wrong to me by appealing to a metaphysical mystery, then I'm not buying it. And if that's your definition of Christianity, then I'm fine not being what you and the majority of people who believe what you believe decide to define as a Christian.

Upvote 0

indopanda

Jun 28, 2019
Chicago
✟11,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Separated
Fine. I am only saying that this is a very inconsistent position to take, as you are using the scriptures bequeathed to you specifically by orthodox, Nicene Trinitarians to argue against the Nicene Trinitarian position.

I'm pretty sure YHWH bequeathed the scriptures to me, not Orthodox Nicene Trinitarians. Should I then not use Scripture to argue against the Jewish position that Jesus is not the Son of YHWH, since I got the Old Testament from people who didn't believe in Jesus? Your argument seems flawed to me.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So your suggestion that you know what John was saying just based on the modern literal meaning of that greek word does not impress me.

No, I was claiming that I knew the literal meaning of that particular ancient Greek word based on my knowledge of ancient Greek.

But I don't care to debate you; your question has been answered.

Upvote 0

indopanda

Jun 28, 2019
Chicago
✟11,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Separated
It's really not, though. You're making demonstrably incorrect and nonsensical statements in service of a theology that has always been rejected by the Christian Church, and then complaining that Christians won't accept you for it. While you're of course free to do so, the idea that you are being oppressed or excluded for this silliness is a bit much to take without comment.

Seeing as how the follower of Jesus are called Christians, that is just an attempt to abscond with the term by other means. Why not stick with "Unitarian", as you have it now in your info box? It describes your position in neutral terms, so anyone who wants to consider you a Christian can do so, so long as they do not parade it around on this Christian website, in the same way that Mormons and others are allowed to post in sections of this website, and identify themselves as Mormons or whatever it is they are that isn't Trinitiarian Christianity, but are not allowed to argue that their religion is Christian, since they do not adhere to the basic minimum of that belief.

"Christian" means something. The faith has content, and you disagree on the basics of that content, so of course you are not Christian, a.k.a. a follower of Jesus. But that's not me or anyone else excluding you from being considered as such. That's you excluding you from being considered as such, since you disagree with the basics of the faith. Nobody here or anywhere is making you do that, and I'm sure we'd all rather you didn't.

Since you are defining the church as those who believe in the Trinity, then of course the church based on your definition has always rejected non-Trinitarian theology. I don't consider myself to be oppressed, and exclusion doesn't bother me very much, so I apologize if that is the impression I gave. I do however believe that people have historically, and perhaps still are, been oppressed and excluded for believing as I do. Feel free to comment all you want. After all, it is a discussion forum designed to answer questions people might have regarding your faith.

It seems you feel protective of the term "follower of Jesus" as well. Feel free to not consider me to be one, but I think it actually fits what I believe well. I do agree with you, Christianity after Nicaea does mean something, and my discussion with you has convinced me that it is not something I particularly want to be involved with. Thankfully, I have a feeling most Christians are not as dogmatic as you are and focus on the more important things. But, I'll keep my conversation with you in mind as a good example of the type of Christians to avoid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

indopanda

Jun 28, 2019
Chicago
✟11,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Separated
No, I was claiming that I knew the literal meaning of that particular ancient Greek word based on my knowledge of ancient Greek.

But I don't care to debate you; your question has been answered.

Fair enough.

Upvote 0