Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
this is sad as youth are putting off living their lives

see it in my own neighborhood
a 27 yr old is living with her mom
everyday, several friends are over there & they just hang out & smoke cigarettes
This has been happening for at least a generation. I remember this happening in the late 90s.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

everyday, several friends are over there & they just hang out & smoke cigarettes
The lifestyle and standard of living in which a lot of my generation was raised is out of reach to my generation. This isn't happening by choice. The economy that once supported a fairly stable middle class no longer exists. Neither do the resultant career opportunities. During the tail end of the George W. years and through all of the Barack years, a lot of my generational cohort had to survive working multiple part time jobs.

The end result is less wealth owned by my generation. But the upshot is that most of us are sincerely not greedy. Because we've never had an opportunity to be.

The reckoning due for Boomers is the stuff legends are made of. Their day is coming.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
christine,

I don't understand your comment. The article clearly states the reasons they live at home:
  • Mostly as a result of being priced out of the housing market.
  • The pandemic has exacerbated that trend by packing the one-two punch of making it harder for young college graduates to land a job in a recession while simultaneously triggering layoffs that disproportionately impact them.
  • The majority of young adults are left to deal with the social ramifications of being priced out of the housing market, which includes living with their parents and delaying marriage and kids.
Getting an apartment before marrying is a modern change. They moved out earlier because they married younger than we do today.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The end result is less wealth owned by my generation. But the upshot is that most of us are sincerely not greedy. Because we've never had an opportunity to be.

The reckoning due for Boomers is the stuff legends are made of. Their day is coming.

Wow!!

Greed has nothing to do with opportunity my young friend. Greed is a matter of the heart. I know people of all ages and generations who believe the world owes them not just something, but everything, all because they exist.

Greed covers the world. Not just us senior adults.

Don't worry - all of us baby boomers will be dead in another couple of decades, maybe three. You can rejoice then if you just be patient enough.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The majority of young adults are left to deal with the social ramifications of being priced out of the housing market, which includes living with their parents and delaying marriage and kids.

-there are still small, more affordable houses in many states including ours
-there are thousands of jobs available in our state but they're not being filled
even where husband works, they have trouble getting enough people who want to work

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
-there are thousands of jobs available in our state but they're not being filled
even where husband works, they have trouble getting enough people who want to work

christine,

That may be true for you but less so for others who live elsewhere. We must guard against expecting younger generations to mirror our behavior. My daughter lives at home and we agreed she'd remain until she marries. I see little reason to waste money on rent she could save and invest.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Have you seen rent prices? And the job market?

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

easier to live with parents than work a couple jobs & buy a fixer upper?
What state are you in?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

easier to live with parents than work a couple jobs & buy a fixer upper?

Those jobs are obviously not paying enough to attract the right people. And even a cheap house would require a down payment in the $15-20k range.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you seen rent prices? And the job market?

yes, we bought a house last year to downsize to one floor since have fibromyalgia & then husband/child decided they didn't want to move

a young, newly married couple bought it from us
it was tiny, needed some work but that was a smart couple
cause they can sell it later & move up if they want

yes, there is affordable housing & tons of jobs

Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private

You say putting it off but I doubt most people have a choice. If they can't afford to move out what options do they have? If they can't get a decent job how can they get money to finance this lifestyle?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
that's exactly what my mom said "you can stay home until you marry

however, by staying home, two of my sisters never married
now they are both over 40

christine,

Remaining at home didn't prevent scores of men and women from marrying. That's how things were done. Your siblings chose an extended adolescence for reasons that are inapplicable to this discussion. One doesn't beget the other. Living at home doesn't mean you'll become a spinster or Peter Pan.

I don't expect educated young adults to do menial work or heavy labor. If they can reduce their expenses by remaining at home and seeking employment that utilizes their skills and training they should.

There's no glory in swimming upstream. It becomes wearisome after a while. Delayed gratification is prudent and biblical.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
yes, we bought a house last year to downsize to one floor since have fibromyalgia & then husband/child decided they didn't want to move

a young, newly married couple bought it from us
it was tiny, needed some work but that was a smart couple
cause they can sell it later & move up if they want

yes, there is affordable housing & tons of jobs
What state are you in?

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
they want the lifestyle of their parents....

start small & save first before moving to bigger house

our first house was teeny, tiny
we did a bunch of work ourselves on it & sold it ourselves to save realtor fees

No answer. Thank you.

Upvote 0