So, if you are no longer a Christian...

If you "became" an atheist tomorrow, what feelings would you have?

• Total voters

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If one becomes an atheist after "supposedly" being a Christian is most likely because they never became a Christian in the first place. Causes for switching over from Christianity to Atheism: Caught up in a denomination. Reasons: Looking to find God but unwilling to do so by the lack of His Spirit found in denominational churches. Solution: Look for a non-denominational church until you can feel His Spirit within you. Other alternatives: look for Him in the comfort of your own home. Get on your knees, humble yourself and speak to Him so you can find Him in your life. Ask for His "Holy Spirit" to speak to you.
It assumes you genuinely arrived at the conclusion that a god was not real, not how your misguided efforts got you there.

There is no solution, because there isn't a problem, unless you see it as one.

If that is the case, then there's no need to really comment. Also, it invites debate on the validity (everybody has an opinion) of your reasons and solution. Which is not what I'm wanting, nor anybody else probably.

This is a thought experiment about ones reactions to a new reality.

Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It assumes you genuinely arrived at the conclusion that a god was not real, not how your misguided efforts got you there.

There is no solution, because there isn't a problem, unless you see it as one.

If that is the case, then there's no need to really comment. Also, it invites debate on the validity (everybody has an opinion) of your reasons and solution. Which is not what I'm wanting, nor anybody else probably.

This is a thought experiment about ones reactions to a new reality.
It isn't what you might want but it is a fact...

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It may seem vague to you if you don't believe that the word of God is 100% true.
My beliefs are irrelevant to a thought experiment and the poll.

It deals with what one sees as their reality, not what the reality might actually be.

Am I to gather that you are not able to do so?

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Are you a Christian Non Sequitur, do you have a denomination?
I'm pretty sure you can see the indicator next to my name that says I'm not.

Again, are you not able to do this thought experiment, as-is?

Nothing wrong with you saying you can't.

Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm pretty sure you can see the indicator next to my name that says I'm not.

Again, are you not able to do this thought experiment, as-is?

Nothing wrong with you saying you can't.
I cannot do this experiment because I have always believed. However I did go through phases of "rebelion" looking for my own ways besides His, but in the end realized that His way is the only way to everlasting life as well as living happily on this Earth. There are many trials though while here, some will bring me down but by realizing that all that I need to do is to trust in Him while going thru tribulations that I always pull through.

Upvote 0

Earatha

Feb 26, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
✟34,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I can only tell you how I felt.

Sad.

There was so many things I lost. the theological aspects, the social aspects, and the ties to my family history. I loved my religion, and I still hold respect for it. I just could no longer believe that it was true.

But my greatest value is my own integrity. If I didn't believe anymore then that was that. I wasn't going to pretend. I accepted it.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I cannot do this experiment because I have always believed. However I did go through phases of "rebelion" looking for my own ways besides His, but in the end realized that His way is the only way to everlasting life as well as living happily on this Earth. There are many trials though while here, some will bring me down but by realizing that all that I need to do is to trust in Him while going thru tribulations that I always pull through.
Got it.

Another poll was basically asking atheists this, in reverse; what feelings they would experience. I found myself being able to look at it from the viewpoint that Christianity was true and my (now) accepted reality. I had no issues of disconnecting from what I used to always believe.

If you can help me understand why you can't, I'd appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Got it.

Another poll was basically asking atheists this, in reverse; what feelings they would experience. I found myself being able to look at it from the viewpoint that Christianity was true and my (now) accepted reality. I had no issues of disconnecting from what I used to always believe.

If you can help me understand why you can't, I'd appreciate it.
I can help you understand why I can't if you can explain why you said "I had no issues of disconnecting from what I used to always believe."

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I'm genuinely curious as to how you think you would feel about it. If your feeling is not a choice (I'm just having to guess at possible feelings), feel free to elaborate. It's multiple choice.

P.S. Sorry if the options are not "good", but I don't know what to assume they could be.

Thanks!

I would feel like I'm in a state of brain fog - unable to think clearly or rationally.

0A Jesus.jpg 0A be reconciled to God through Christ.jpg
Jesus-Loves-You-Wallpaper-01.jpg

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That's why I made sure to say if someone cannot find themselves able to imagine/role-play the scenario, for whatever reason, there was no need to comment.

It's not an argument/debate on how, whether it is plausible or even probable. I was looking to avoid those, as they don't offer any answers to my question.
Hi NS, I wasn't trying to cause any trouble, but I kept trying to choose a "feeling" and imagine how I would be if your scenario played itself out in reality, but I kept running into a dead end, so I decided to answer as truthfully as I could and explain why I felt the way I did.

--David

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I can help you understand why I can't if you can explain why you said "I had no issues of disconnecting from what I used to always believe."
Sure.

Currently, I see/have seen no evidence to believe in a god, so my reality is that there is not one.

In the thought experiment, when I found myself in a reality that there was a god, I accepted that as my reality and proceeded to go through the emotions of being in that reality. Given that it was not about how I arrived at that reality, but simply that I was there, that had no relation to what I had always believed it was. Thus, "no issues of disconnecting".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi NS, I wasn't trying to cause any trouble, but I kept trying to choose a "feeling" and imagine how I would be if your scenario played itself out in reality, but I kept running into a dead end, so I decided to answer as truthfully as I could and explain why I felt the way I did.

--David
No worries.

I suppose it would be shocking(?) to find yourself in a different reality than you thought you were.

I can't ever put myself in a Christians shoes (in the sense that I believe), so I wouldn't know what one would expect to feel. That's why I asked.

The poll answers are quite interesting.

• Friendly
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure.

Currently, I see/have seen no evidence to believe in a god, so my reality is that there is not one.

In the thought experiment, when I found myself in a reality that there was a god, I accepted that as my reality and proceeded to go through the emotions of being in that reality. Given that it was not about how I arrived at that reality, but simply that I was there, that had no relation to what I had always believed it was. Thus, "no issues of disconnecting".
Ok, I see you need proof in order to believe. The reason why I can't get myself to answer your initial question is because I've had too many proofs in my life that God does exist and is real and am sorry you haven't experienced the same (yet).

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Ok, I see you need proof in order to believe. The reason why I can't get myself to answer your initial question is because I've had too many proofs in my life that God does exist and is real and am sorry you haven't experienced the same (yet).
I'm just saying you don't believe for whatever that sufficient reason is that would put you there. The type (in my case, a literal interaction) is irrelevant.

Like if I asked you to imagine a scenario involving you meeting a unicorn. Despite too many no-proofs ever for them, and your current lack of belief in them, I assume you could imagine your reactions.

I didn't offer the killing-blow-proof for why you became an atheist, because that is a) going down the path of de-conversion and b) would have rebuttals and non-acceptance of said proof.

A thought experiment gets clogged up if you have to justify how you got there, before doing it.

You wouldn't find such an issue the unicorn scenario because you're too overwhelmed with the proof against it, would you?

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you found yourself not believing, I don't see how that has anything to do with "turning about midpath out of fear".

Turning about is a choice. If you found yourself not believing, that wasn't a choice. You don't/can't preemptively accept your reality.

You do realize that I'm agnostic about Christianity, I hope. All I could fully commit to is that the original followers sincerely believed something happened, which is not really an issue of faith. And I am a theist, so open to the possibility that their experiences were real. I don't expect to wake up one morning convinced that Peter and Paul made the whole thing up, so rejecting Christianity due to a lack of belief absolutely would be a choice. You should look at what someone like Blaise Pascal has to say on the issue of passions inhibiting belief.

Now, if I woke up and decided I wasn't a theist, that would be less of a choice. But if I wasn't really an authentic atheist when I actually considered myself an atheist, it'd be very difficult to end up there now.

Also, if you were of an atheist mindset, I'm not sure why (or even if you would) think goodness and beauty were meaningless and humanity is helplessly insane. Most atheists don't seem to think that.

Because humanity is insane. If there is no God and we've just been grasping at shadows for the entirety of our existence, there's something tragically mad about us.

Ever read Camus? Not all atheists are blithefully unaware of the absurdity of their belief system.

It seems like you are trying to hold two different beliefs the same time.

No, I'm just trying to answer your question. You seem to not like the response.

Upvote 0