So, if you are no longer a Christian...

If you "became" an atheist tomorrow, what feelings would you have?

• Total voters

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You are conflating (making) sense and meaning.

"Meaning" is a very complicated subject. Take a look here if you'd care to learn something on the topic: Theories of Meaning (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

It doesn't require that anymore than becoming a Christian requires checking your brain at the door. Don't know why you would insinuate that.

I wonder if you think before you post...

It's called irony. I'm sorry if such a concept is lost upon you.

You have made it clear time and again that the only way to participate in this little thought experiment is to abandon every independent thought you have and consider atheism from some supposedly neutral position. You have conflated caring about issues like meaning and morality with projecting theistic biases, despite the fact that these are issues that philosophically literate atheists consider also. You've fixed the game with these bizarre rules of yours simply so that you can cry "foul" at anyone willing to engage the question seriously. Any answer besides blissful acceptance of an atheistic worldview is not legitimate to you.

For the record, I am not actually Christian (as I've said a handful of times, but you were so busy ignoring everything else I wrote, it's no wonder you ignored that as well), so your little jabs about Christianity really miss the mark. I have, however, actually been finding Christianity surprisingly intellectually welcoming, at least if you stick to the traditions that have always been engaged in science and philosophy. Atheism is shockingly hostile towards non-materialists these days. Think outside of the box even a little bit and people start screaming, "Woo!" Turn your skepticism in the wrong direction and out come the pitchforks.

Anyway, since you've now resorted to hurling around petulant insults while refusing to address anything I've brought up at all, I'm out.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"Meaning" is a very complicated subject. Take a look here if you'd care to learn something on the topic: Theories of Meaning (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
I see you are not going to bother elaborating on the nuances of your arguments, but just state them.

Got it.

It's called irony. I'm sorry if such a concept is lost upon you.
Just your wrong use of the word irony.

You have made it clear time and again that the only way to participate in this little thought experiment is to abandon every independent thought you have and consider atheism from some supposedly neutral position. You have conflated caring about issues like meaning and morality with projecting theistic biases, despite the fact that these are issues that philosophically literate atheists consider also. You've fixed the game with these bizarre rules of yours simply so that you can cry "foul" at anyone willing to engage the question seriously. Any answer besides blissful acceptance of an atheistic worldview is not legitimate to you.

For the record, I am not actually Christian (as I've said a handful of times, but you were so busy ignoring everything else I wrote, it's no wonder you ignored that as well), so your little jabs about Christianity really miss the mark. I have, however, actually been finding Christianity surprisingly intellectually welcoming, at least if you stick to the traditions that have always been engaged in science and philosophy. Atheism is shockingly hostile towards non-materialists these days. Think outside of the box even a little bit and people start screaming, "Woo!" Turn your skepticism in the wrong direction and out come the pitchforks.

Anyway, since you've now resorted to hurling around petulant insults while refusing to address anything I've brought up at all, I'm out.
As I've said all along, if you can't participate in the thought experiment (although, actually it was more a reactionary experiment, then you simply can't. Nothing to be ashamed of.

All I've done is ask the reasons why, to which you've explained. This appeared to be a dialogue and conversation, with disagreements. I deem them your comments poor and strawman-ish, in context of the experiment. That's all. Get over it.

I never thought you were Christian; yes, I did see them. Seeing as there was no target, there was no mark to miss. I think you are so caught up in being right, you assume far too many things.

Anyway, since you've now resorted to making even more things up, while I'm addressing what you've brought up, I'm glad you are gone.

:wave:

Upvote 0

Willis Gravning

St. Francis of Assisi
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2015
Sioux Falls, SD
✟99,367.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've never seen a poll or conversation about how Christians would "deal" with this scenario. More so, how they believe they would process it. I posted it here because Philosophy is closed.

I was curious to see what emotional (as best as I could list the options for) reaction a Christian would have if they found themselves an atheist, in the way many atheists do; it becomes apparent and thus accepted. If you found yourself an atheist, you would not have any reason to try an convert (back) to Christianity, nor argue for it.

If you cannot find yourself able to imagine/role-play the scenario (not how, whether it is plausible, etc), please don't comment or vote; it's not a debate. Please, no atheist (as you shouldn't be taking this poll anyway).

I'm genuinely curious as to how you think you would feel about it. If your feeling is not a choice (I'm just having to guess at possible feelings), feel free to elaborate. It's multiple choice.

P.S. Sorry if the options are not "good", but I don't know what to assume they could be.

Thanks!
Perhaps a better scenario would be if we were to discover indisputable proof that there is no God of any sort and that we are here completely by chance with no reason or purpose whatsoever. This would be troubling to me. I suspect I would experience something like the stages of grief. On the other hand, if God does not exist I would go to work Monday morning but if God does exist...I would go to work Monday morning.

I think Life is not just a directionless, purposeless chance event though.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
c8b85cab249ed6b6658e9354be815195.jpeg

I've never seen a poll or conversation about how Christians would "deal" with this scenario. More so, how they believe they would process it. I posted it here because Philosophy is closed.

I was curious to see what emotional (as best as I could list the options for) reaction a Christian would have if they found themselves an atheist

The question makes no sense. In the famous story by Kafka, Gregor Samsa wakes up to find himself a giant insect. Christians don't wake up one day and suddenly find themselves atheists.

Sometimes (apparent) Christians do become atheists. That always involves some kind of process, and how they will feel depends very much on specifics of the road that took them there.

The 2001 film The Body explores a scenario where someone finds what seems to be the bones of Jesus in Jerusalem. One of the characters in the film responds to the consequent loss of faith by committing suicide. That's one plausible outcome.

The-body2001.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
c8b85cab249ed6b6658e9354be815195.jpeg

The question makes no sense. In the famous story by Kafka, Gregor Samsa wakes up to find himself a giant insect. Christians don't wake up one day and suddenly find themselves atheists.

Sometimes (apparent) Christians do become atheists. That always involves some kind of process, and how they will feel depends very much on specifics of the road that took them there.

The 2001 film The Body explores a scenario where someone finds what seems to be the bones of Jesus in Jerusalem. One of the characters in the film responds to the consequent loss of faith by committing suicide. That's one plausible outcome.

The-body2001.jpg
I phrased it this way, so there wouldn't be a debate about whether one could (and the steps one went through) or would.

When that happens, people start debating over whether it can or does happen or not instead of the scenario.

People don't wake up and suddenly find themselves the opposite sex, but I could easily talk about how I'd feel if I did.

Upvote 0