So does the President have the right to block people from his twitter.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I guess I'm confused. They have two twitter accounts for the man. One setup by the government, and one that was not. Did the government seize his personal one? I would assume that would be part of the argument as well no?

No, the argument is that he is using it in his official capacity as POTUS and it should therefore follow the same communication protections as an official government account.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The argument is that he has commingled his personal and govt accounts by making policy statements on his personal account.

Okay. Yet, I read they are also claiming that blocking them gives them no voice too. Which of course makes no sense. There are other avenues for voice. They are also claiming its NOT his personal account anymore. Which is why I asked about the government seizing it.

They are claiming his statements at times are exclusively only on twitter, but I doubt that alone enforces anything. I mean people can't go to court and say we do can this due to Trump's personal twitter account. I realize they may not like his statements - policy or otherwise - on his personal account. Yet, I guess the question would be are those twitter tweets enforceable just by their mere presence? Does it show exercise of some power within a tweeter account? To me that is the true meat and potatoes.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, the argument is that he is using it in his official capacity as POTUS and it should therefore follow the same communication protections as an official government account.

Which basically is a big YES to seizing his personal twitter account.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Which basically is a big YES to seizing his personal twitter account.

No. Seizing implies the government takes control of his account. If the the lawsuit is successful it simply means Trump must follow the guidelines used for any other account. He still retains control of it. He is restricted in his actions regarding use of it though.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay. Yet, I read they are also claiming that blocking them gives them no voice too. Which of course makes no sense. There are other avenues for voice. They are also claiming its NOT his personal account anymore. Which is why I asked about the government seizing it.

They are claiming his statements at times are exclusively only on twitter, but I doubt that alone enforces anything. I mean people can't go to court and say we do can this due to Trump's personal twitter account. I realize they may not like his statements - policy or otherwise - on his personal account. Yet, I guess the question would be are those twitter tweets enforceable just by their mere presence? Does it show exercise of some power within a tweeter account? To me that is the true meat and potatoes.

Inasmuch as the Executive Branch does not take his Twitter statements for action, the answer to that question is, "No."

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those two paragraphs are directly conflicting.

If "public forum" is defined as “government-owned properties that the government is constitutionally obligated to make available for speech," then Twitter is most definitely not a "public forum."

This assertion is made without a single sentence of support...and it's not true. That article does not support what you think it does, ending with rebuttals to that point.

Eugene Volokh, law professor and prominent 1st Amendment scholar, believes Trump may block people from the Twitter account and such conduct does not violate the Free Speech Clause of the 1st Amendment. Opinion | Is @RealDonaldTrump violating the First Amendment by blocking some Twitter users?

An attorney from the Knight First Amendment Institute addressed Volokh's position and Volokh gave a rebuttal. Opinion | More on the First Amendment and @RealDonaldTrump

Examining the substance of the arguments, the evidence, and reasoning, it is my opinion Volokh has the stronger argument.

Volokh also addressed why Sean Spicer's statement is not compelling.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Saw this question on twitter:

Serious question: If Trump's account is a public forum and I cannot legally have my account blocked from interacting with it, then is Twitter not allowed to ban me because they prevent me from interacting with public figures? By this logic, both are constitutional violations

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saw this question on twitter:

Serious question: If Trump's account is a public forum and I cannot legally have my account blocked from interacting with it, then is Twitter not allowed to ban me because they prevent me from interacting with public figures? By this logic, both are constitutional violations

Not the same situation under the Constitution because Twitter is not a government agent.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Eugene Volokh, law professor and prominent 1st Amendment scholar, believes Trump may block people from the Twitter account and such conduct does not violate the Free Speech Clause of the 1st Amendment. Opinion | Is @RealDonaldTrump violating the First Amendment by blocking some Twitter users?

An attorney from the Knight First Amendment Institute addressed Volokh's position and Volokh gave a rebuttal. Opinion | More on the First Amendment and @RealDonaldTrump

Examining the substance of the arguments, the evidence, and reasoning, it is my opinion Volokh has the stronger argument.

Volokh also addressed why Sean Spicer's statement is not compelling.

I note that even Mr Volokh points out that this is a border issue that it is a rather close call even though he falls on the "probably not" side. Do you think it likely to go up through the appeals process?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see what the problem is. If Trump didn't use Twitter at all no one would see any tweets of his or be able to comment back to the things he says in an official capacity. Personally, I wish that were the case.

• Haha
Reactions: TerranceL
Upvote 0

Wet Squirrel

Mar 9, 2018
Barczewo
✟1,125.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, if someone is blocked they cannot see or reply to the Presidents tweets. They would have to rely on getting the presidential statement second or third hand.

Or make new account like normal human being and repent and stop trolling in tweets by posting hate-speach so they don't get blocked again ?

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I note that even Mr Volokh points out that this is a border issue that it is a rather close call even though he falls on the "probably not" side. Do you think it likely to go up through the appeals process?

Yes. Trump wants to preclude people from posting replies he disagrees with, so he would likely appeal any adverse ruling.

The wider public apparently has people who want the ability to illuminate on this twitter account why they think he’s unwise and incompetent. They’ll likely appeal any adverse ruling.

Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Meh ...
484.gif

The Oval Office is not an open door. It's not. Never has been. Never intended to be.
The Twitterverse is not the Oval Office - it's more of a public space.

Or make new account like normal human being and repent and stop trolling in tweets by posting hate-speach so they don't get blocked again ?
These are often professionals with a following - journalists and such - rather than private trolls (whom I don't consider "normal human beings").

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Goonie said:
The argument is that he has commingled his personal and govt accounts by making policy statements on his personal account.

This is enough reason that those who will follow are not to be blocked, and excusing it is endorsing the censorship that is inclusive of some political involvement for some. This is the case even if there are other avenues, when circumstances of followers are not all taken into account, and what is shown in the one media that some are blocked from is given much sooner when there is lag in any of it shown through other avenues, it is conceivable that this may become very significant.

Upvote 0