So does the President have the right to block people from his twitter.

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟606,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure, but treating the things he shouts into the megaphone as having any kind of secrecy is farcial.

In the same vein, he isn't obligated to share his twitter password or the content of his email inbox with the general public, but when he chooses to say something on twitter, or in general conversation, that has nothing in common with "something said in the oval office".

As such, this whole oval office line of discussion is nothing but a red herring.

The WH has said in the past his tweets are official statements, that is why there were problems in court with the Muslim ban. Of course they change that when it suits them.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, if someone is blocked they cannot see or reply to the Presidents tweets. They would have to rely on getting the presidential statement second or third hand.
That's not true tho.

You can logout of twitter and see his comments with no problem.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Then that means it's NOT a official government account, but rather a private account. Your private property does NOT turn into automatically public property just because you are president.
Well I think this is something for Captain Obvious. (I saw a commercial with him on youtube today. Very funny. Have you seen him?)

But if it is decided by courts that Trump is using channel to spread public information then he will have to follow government guidelines regarding communication. (I understand this from earlier post by Belk). Is this not so?

Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
Well I think this is something for Captain Obvious. (I saw a commercial with him on youtube today. Very funny. Have you seen him?)

But if it is decided by courts that Trump is using channel to spread public information then he will have to follow government guidelines regarding communication. (I understand this from earlier post by Belk). Is this not so?
Your counting your eggs before they hatch.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟606,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do people understand that he have that account years before presidency?

Yes, but he doesn't use his official potus account. If he were smart, he'd just mute them. They'd be able to rage at him forever, he wouldn't get the notifications, and they wouldn't know it.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
They should be allowed to retweet. I do not believe the president should be able to give one group of Americans more rights than another group at his whim.
They still can. Screen shots and copy/paste still work.

And google.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They still can. Screen shots and copy/paste still work.

And google.
So same, but different, rights.

And easier for Friends of Trump to spread the good word. I can see why this would be something Trump and supporters would certainly want. First class special citizen is nice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So same, but different, rights.

And easier for Friends of Trump to spread the good word. I can see why this would be something Trump and supporters would certainly want. First class special citizen is nice.
It’s the end of the Republic.

:doh:

• Haha
Reactions: TerranceL
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can a public official block people from viewing his twitter depite the fact that he has indisputably used it to make official presidential statements?

Looks like more internet rocket science.

Question -- who opened the account --the government or Tump?

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,907.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Looks like more internet rocket science.

Question -- who opened the account --the government or Tump?

M-Bob
Irrelevant if trump is making official presidential statements on it. It becomes a defacto mouthpiece of govt covered by the constitution.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Then that means it's NOT a official government account, but rather a private account. Your private property does NOT turn into automatically public property just because you are president.

It’s not his property, it’s Twitters.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,907.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It’s not his property, it’s Twitters.
And more importantly if you use your private account to make official presidential statements you are defacto making your account public and subject to the constitution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This would only be an issue if Trump could coerce Twitter to cancel their Twitter accounts.

They have the same avenues of speech available to them--their own Twitter accounts, where they can "redress" all the grievances they want. They just can't use Trump's account for their own speech. They also can't use Trump's presidential franking privileges to send letters to the White House...same thing.

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And more importantly if you use your private account to make official presidential statements you are defacto making your account public and subject to the constitution.

So? Nobody can use the president's franking privileges, either.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This should be an interesting case. It is a private account which normally would mean he could block whomever he wishes. However if it is determined that he is using it in an official government capacity he has to follow the government guidelines for official communication.

Well, the DoD, for one, has officially declared that they ignore Trump's tweets.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think some people are making broad assumptions about "government guidelines regarding communication" that aren't necessarily what they think they are.

Upvote 0