May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
No, I don't think that smoking should be permitted in pubs, bars, restaurants, clubs and other public buildings. Passive smoking is very dangerous. People should not be forced to have the strong smell of smoke on their body and clothes and health problems because other people smoke. I think it's perfectly reasonable just to have a seperate smoker's room where possible.

As for smoking in the street, I think it would be very difficult to legislate what I believe smokers should do. I would seriously hope that when other people who are not smoking are walking down the street, all smokers would do their very best not to get their smoke anywhere near them.

Bar staff and performers in clubs, even if they themselves do not smoke and their families do not smoke, are at risk of very serious health problems because others smoke near them. It just isn't fair.

Rob <---a smoker.

Upvote 0

~*ZEE*~

Senior Veteran
Sep 30, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
✟16,932.00
Faith
Christian
Nope. Australia has really cracked down on smoking in public places. Shopping centres, restaurants and pubs are prohibiting smokers from doing so indoors. It was great. Then I moved to Northern Ireland! Merely walking through a shopping centre chokes me and leaves the stench in my hair. It's quite disgusting...I didn't realise how hygenic Australian establishments were until I experienced the opposite here :sick: I shudder to think of all the young children breathing the toxins in. And I detest seeing adults smoking in their car with the kids in the back...there were TV ads and all in Australia putting down such selfishness.

Notedly, Australia has far better weather and thus, requesting outdoor smoking is entirely sane...but the same health factors have to be considered worldwide. Cigarette smoke is damaging to the body..one should have a right to choose whether to breathe noxious air or not!

Upvote 0

Rossi

And I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For
Sep 17, 2004
Hong Kong
Visit site
✟17,233.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
~*ZEE*~ said:
Nope. Australia has really cracked down on smoking in public places. Shopping centres, restaurants and pubs are prohibiting smokers from doing so indoors. It was great. Then I moved to Northern Ireland! Merely walking through a shopping centre chokes me and leaves the stench in my hair. It's quite disgusting...I didn't realise how hygenic Australian establishments were until I experienced the opposite here :sick: I shudder to think of all the young children breathing the toxins in. And I detest seeing adults smoking in their car with the kids in the back...there were TV ads and all in Australia putting down such selfishness.

Notedly, Australia has far better weather and thus, requesting outdoor smoking is entirely sane...but the same health factors have to be considered worldwide. Cigarette smoke is damaging to the body..one should have a right to choose whether to breathe noxious air or not!

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rabidone

Apr 22, 2004
✟188.00
Faith
Christian
ChildByGrace said:
I also do think that more needs to be done to make sure that car fumes are less harmful :thumbsup:

Yes I agree, perhaps doubleing the tax on diesel would be a good start.

I voted for a ban in public places. I'd also like to see a ban in the home when there are children living there. Forcing a child to second hand smoke is child abuse and shouldn't be tollerated.

Upvote 0

clareos86

jem girl
Sep 30, 2005
bonny glasgow
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think smoking should be banned, I am very much looking forward to 2007! A lovely story:

My mum smoked through University, as did my dad. Then they got married and a few years later she found out she was preggers (avec moi!) She knew how much damage smoking does to the unborn baby so she quit! And for the rest of her life she never touched anotehr cigarette :)

Upvote 0

winglovesall

Apr 26, 2005
✟18,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I honestly think smoking should be banned...

But then again, you can look at both sides -

I think there's a lot of debate about this - even in Australia, too, in my own state - smoking here is banned, well, at least 4 metres (that's about 12 ft) from a public building... you can smoke outside of that boundary!

I honestly don't support people who smoke -

There's the debate - Smokers cause the environment to pollute but you can also argue that smokers should have the right to smoke...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Illenius

Nov 27, 2005
✟7,745.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm very keen for a ban, for mostly selfish reasons if I am honest - although I do think there were be a general improvement in health as a result.

On the other hand I wish this could be seen as an issue of responsibilities instead of rights. Too often these days people are complaining about their rights to this or that - can itnot be the case that smokers have a responsibilty to non-smokers?

Upvote 0