California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
1. You should speak with legal aid and resolve the felony question before you spend any money.

Should I mention it to my SCORE mentor?

I suggested WPX for that reason.

StudioPress is the window dressing so to speak.

Hmmmm, these are WP right? What about what @Sketcher says?

The fact is that WordPress is the biggest target for hackers out there, because it's the the most popular platform for a web site out there.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Should I mention it to my SCORE mentor?

You can ask him but I would clarify with an attorney for the official word.

Hmmmm, these are WP right? What about what @Sketcher says?

Yes, it’s WP. Who’s going to manage your custom build? Most people hire someone to handle it for them or purchase a support package from the developer.

Choosing complicated products you don’t understand, can’t maintain, and can’t afford to hire someone to look after is a headache.

You don’t need bells and whistles in the beginning. That’s a common mistake. Cash flow is important. You’ve already admitted things are tight.

You’d benefit from a mentor or business coach who’d walk you through the process and be a sounding board. They have to understand what you’re doing and the market you’re hoping to serve.

This is a physical operation, correct?

~Bella

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wow,that's heavy stuff, thanks for the information. What if I am doing PP and Venmo type stuff...swiping cards?
I can't speak to Venmo specifically. PayPal is processed by PayPal, not the server the site is on, there are APIs that connect the site out to it. Still, every site that takes money and confidential information needs to be kept secure.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Okay, I applied for a DBA, just have to pay the fee tomorrow! I want to trademark the DBA, which I had no idea if I could do...from what I researched, I didn't think I could, but I got the following:

"You can trademark a DBA or fictitious business name if you use the name to brand your products or services. If you use a particular DBA as your brand name, it is entitled to the same legal protection that any other brand name would receive. By trademarking your DBA, you would prevent competitors from using the name to create confusion or mislead consumers.

In order to register a trademark, you will need to demonstrate to the United States Patent and Trademark Office that your DBA is distinct and that you intend to use it as a brand for your goods or services. Trademarks exist specifically to prevent your competitors from using similar branding elements. As such, your trademark will only cover your particular field or market."
Trademarks and DBAs - Can It Be Done, and Do You Need Both?

Anybody know 100% if I can do it? Thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Okay so if I get a .com, .org., and .net from there, what exactly does this mean...no one can get those domains anywhere...or just on WordPress? Thanks!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Okay so if I get a .com, .org., and .net from there, what exactly does this mean...no one can get those domains anywhere...or just on WordPress? Thanks!

Ideally, you’d have your business name. Securing it as .com, .net, or .co is commonplace. Nonprofits usually use .org.

Example tone.com

Be mindful of spelling. Complicated names have drawbacks. No one can get tone.com. But they can get tone.net if you don’t register it.

You’d have to pay a registration fee for each name you secure. If you wanted tone.com and .net that’s two fees.

~Bella

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Ideally, you’d have your business name. Securing it as .com, .net, or .co is commonplace. Nonprofits usually use .org.

Okay, so I got the DBA today and .com,.org, and .net!

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Cool. Congrats! :)

~Bella

Then I had to go back and purchase 4 more domains, because a cooler twist on the name occurred to me...so now I have 7 domains...! Also, since I already got the DBA on the other name...I can get another DBA on my latest and greatest...right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Then I had to go back and purchase 4 more domains, because a cooler twist on the name occurred to me...so now I have 7 domains...! Also, since I already got the DBA on the other name...I can get another DBA on my latest and greatest...right?

Only if you plan to conduct business under that name. Make sure you get your social media accounts. Even if you don’t plan to use the platform, securing the username is wise. That may change later on.

Get Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, Twitter, Tumblr and Reddit.

Some content fares better than others on different platforms. Keep that in mind before you post.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Only if you plan to conduct business under that name. Make sure you get your social media accounts. Even if you don’t plan to use the platform, securing the username is wise. That may change later on.

Get Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, Twitter, Tumblr and Reddit.

Some content fares better than others on different platforms. Keep that in mind before you post.

~Bella

I want to use the newest one...it's only a one letter difference, I called the registrar and the dude said that it so early after I acquired it that I can go in and just have them change that one letter...ugh, it's a tough decision...should I change the first name...or just get another DBA...I'm tight on cash so I think I will just change that one little letter.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I want to use the newest one...it's only a one letter difference, I called the registrar and the dude said that it so early after I acquired it that I can go in and just have them change that one letter...ugh, it's a tough decision...should I change the first name...or just get another DBA...I'm tight on cash so I think I will just change that one little letter.

I would keep the one that matches the DBA and get rid of the others. You have other things to focus on and money dwindles quickly in a startup.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I would keep the one that matches the DBA and get rid of the others. You have other things to focus on and money dwindles quickly in a startup.

~Bella

I had to go with the latest...I'll just change that letter on the DBA Monday. I've secured several social media sites. Thanks!

Upvote 0