✟16,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello, brothers and sisters in Christ,

I am wondering about this passage, Deuteronomy 21:11-13 seems to condone choosing a wife from a bunch of war captives, which is another way of saying that war and slavery are pardoned. Have I maybe misunderstood this passage?

God bless you all.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Slavery was common in those times, God's law regulated it. Those particular verses are there to require a proper cool-down after the battle before you actually marry her. Adherence to this may have cut down instances of war rape as well.

Also, don't forget that this was in the Old Covenant to the Jews. Christians are under the New Covenant, which doesn't speak explicitly to fighting in wars, though killing an unbeliever is directly against the interests Christ expressed when he commanded the Apostles to go into all the world and make disciples. You can't convert the dead. The New Testament speaks to how slave masters and slaves should act in current relationships, but it doesn't encourage people to get more slaves or sell themselves into slavery.

• Agree
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I am wondering about this passage, Deuteronomy 21:11-13 seems to condone choosing a wife from a bunch of war captives, which is another way of saying that war and slavery are pardoned. Have I maybe misunderstood this passage?

God bless you all.
Slavery in the Roman Empire was entirely different to the slavery as practiced in the United States in the 19th Century. Roman slaves were treated a lot better and were almost part of the family in many cases. Many Roman slaves were happy to stay in the family even after offered their freedom.

Slavery in the United States was a much more cruel thing. This is because African slaves were treated little more than animals of burden, and even after slavery in the United States was abolished, African Americans, especially in the Southern States were treated as low lifes, and as we can see today, in many Southern states, an African American is more likely to be shot by the police than a white American in the same circumstances.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

God bless you all.
I am not aware the Bible condones slavery. It simply acknowledges its existence.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Slavery in the Roman Empire was entirely different to the slavery as practiced in the United States in the 19th Century. Roman slaves were treated a lot better and were almost part of the family in many cases. Many Roman slaves were happy to stay in the family even after offered their freedom.

I guess this explains all those slave revolts.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I guess this explains all those slave revolts.
I guess that a true reading of Roman history would make things clearer about that. For example: Roman gladiators have been depicted as fighters forced to fight to entertain the crowds, where modern discoveries have shown that many did it as a career, and fewer died than was previously supposed. Also modern development in history have shown that many Roman slaves had good lives, treated well by their masters, and were, in many cases, offered their freedom after a period of time. So, it is good to do a bit of research to find out who were the ones who revolted and why they did so. You have the Hollywood version of Spartacus, starring Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis which gives one picture, but the true history might give an entirely different picture.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Slavery in the United States was a much more cruel thing. This is because African slaves were treated little more than animals of burden, and even after slavery in the United States was abolished, African Americans, especially in the Southern States were treated as low lifes, and as we can see today, in many Southern states, an African American is more likely to be shot by the police than a white American in the same circumstances.

not true I'm afraid.
Romans had three types of tools, silent tools, saws, hammers, spades etc, then there were dumb tools, donkeys, horses dogs etc and vocal tools= slaves.
A slave was a tool to be used and discarded when broken. Slaves were often in the ancient world, just as in every other slave using society, worked to death and replaced.

The bible regulated how slaves were treated. It was in no way perfect but was better than whathappened elsewhere.

Upvote 0