Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In certain light, sunlight for instance, my skin becomes almost Ghostly pale. But in other light, my skin becomes almost tannish. Is there a scientific reason for this? Is my skin absorbing the light types it is around?

Reactions: D.A. Wright

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're absolutely right. Well, except that technically speaking your skin is also (and some would say merely) reflecting the light around it.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Coleton Bryce Ritmanich, I think the difference you're seeing is due in large part to the color temperature and quality of the light that's reflecting off of your skin. For instance, most things (including us) look pretty different under daylight (blueish light that registers between 5000K and 6500K) when compared to how we look under indoor light bulbs (a far more yellowish light that comes in around 3200K .. Kelvin, that is).

--David

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Saucier
✟52,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You're absolutely right. Well, except that technically speaking your skin is also (and some would say merely) reflecting the light around it.

So, I am like something that causes a rainbow? I'm interested. How exactly does that work?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Saucier
✟52,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi @Coleton Bryce Ritmanich, I think the difference you're seeing is due in large part to the color temperature and quality of the light that's reflecting off of your skin. For instance, most things (including us) look pretty different under daylight (blueish light that registers between 5000K and 6500K) when compared to how we look under indoor light bulbs (a far more yellowish light that comes in around 3200K .. Kelvin, that is).

--David

Wow! That's cool! This is why I love science!

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
In certain light, sunlight for instance, my skin becomes almost Ghostly pale. But in other light, my skin becomes almost tannish. Is there a scientific reason for this? Is my skin absorbing the light types it is around?

You may be a Lizard Person. :eek:

I would advise a check with your local health professional.

OB

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Saucier
✟52,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You may be a Lizard Person. :eek:

I would advise a check with your local health professional.

OB

Lol! That would be funny! But I'll ask my doctor the next time I have an appointment.

• Haha
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The human eye is very adaptable and is so good at adapting that we don't even realise that it's happening. But there are situations where it can be fooled. Your skin will take on aspects of whatever light falls on it. If you shine blue light on your skin, you skin will appear blue, for example. A similar thing is happening with what you've noticed. The same thing explains why some people think their eyes change colour. It's not really changing, it's just different lighting conditions fooling the eyes and brain.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Saucier
✟52,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The human eye is very adaptable and is so good at adapting that we don't even realise that it's happening. But there are situations where it can be fooled. Your skin will take on aspects of whatever light falls on it. If you shine blue light on your skin, you skin will appear blue, for example. A similar thing is happening with what you've noticed. The same thing explains why some people think their eyes change colour. It's not really changing, it's just different lighting conditions fooling the eyes and brain.

Thanks for the elaboration!

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the elaboration!

Remember that picture a while back of the dress and people couldn't agree if it was blue and white or black and gold (or whatever)? It's the same basic thing as that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
May 11, 2017
Saucier
✟52,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Remember that picture a while back of the dress and people couldn't agree if it was blue and white or black and gold (or whatever)? It's the same basic thing as that.

Really? That is interesting!

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private