King of the Wicker People
Feb 23, 2004
The south
✟28,117.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My dad has a can opener on his key ring that was issued to him in the Army almost 40 yrs ago. It's just a curved, pointed piece of metal.

Good ol' P-38

can%20opener.jpg

Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
ah why.

I live in the city, when am I going to be needing to hunt things

You never go camping, or to state parks or anywhere else with animals?

If not, you need to learn to go camping. :p

Upvote 0
Q

Quoth

Every man should know:

How to communicate with others effectively. I have worked in customer service jobs ever since I started working. I have been a receptionist, a cashier, a salesman, a babysitter, and a leader in various positions in the Boy Scouts, and I have seen so many situations that got out of hand because one or more parties involved did not take the time to listen and understand the other(s). Whenever faced with a conflict at most of my jobs, it did not matter to me that others were waiting for service. I would call in the help I needed or explain to the waiting parties that I was handling the current situation in the best way I knew how and would be willing to help them as soon as possible. It was that kind of explanation that some would say is unnecessary that helped me excel in customer service.

How to rationally defend one's position. One should know what they believe and have solid ground to support the reasons why they believe what they do. I have seen many Christians who believe, but it is blind faith, of which there is no need when a perfectly rational support exists for their belief.

How to access information necessary for their goals and tasks. I don't know how to fix most problems on a car, but I know how to access the information necessary, and I know how to ask for help (and from whom I should ask help) for various things. I also know how to commit fairly simple processes to memory so that I do not have to call on those same sources of information time and time again.

How to maintain their own property. By "property", I am referring to those things a man owns. I believe a man should not own something that he does not know how to take care of, or if he is not willing to take care of it (even through outside help).

How to be financially responsible. Typically, "thrifty" does not describe me, but financial responsibility is something that I am learning. A man should have enough forethought and self-control to see what he wants for the future, and handle his finances so as to achieve those goals.

Common courtesy and manners. There is a time to tell "guy" jokes that--while morally clean--are of a decidedly more "gross" nature. I recall a particular joke that one of my youth leaders told about a hunting trip, and while it was not morally offensive, it did not go over well with some of the more easily disgusted members of the youth group. Every man should be aware of his surroundings and act accordingly, and he should learn common chivalry and manners.

How to be self-sufficient. Every man starts out single, and he should not assume that his wife will iron his shirts, do his cooking and cleaning, etceteras. Every man should know how to do simple repairs to his clothing (i.e., sewing a button back on), clean his own living space, cook his own food, do his laundry, etceteras. Those things which may be considered more "feminine" skills can come in handy for a man as well.

How and when to submit. Though it can be against our nature to submit to authority, the Lord tells us through 1 Peter that it is commendable when we submit, even to a harsh master. There is a time and a place to rise up and--like Dee Snider--tell them, "we're not gonna take it anymore", but there is also a time to lay low and simply get by. Wisdom will allow a man to discern the differences between these times.

How and when to defend himself and those he cares for. In my opinion, every man should have the knowledge of how to read a situation so as to avoid conflict, whether verbal or physical. One of the first things they taught me in martial arts is how to avoid fighting altogether. After we learn how to avoid fighting, we learn how to defend ourselves and those we care for from an attacker, with defensive moves (blocks, holds, throws, and non-lethal countermeasures). When it becomes necessary, we should also know how to fight back, but only to the point that our attacker will no longer wish to engage us. Every man should remember that all life is sacred and cannot be replaced, and we should do our best to preserve the life and well-being of even those we call our enemies.

How to provide for his family and others he cares for. Every man should find at least one skill, but the more knowledge a man can acquire in various trades, the better. My father is a prime example: he worked for the Air Force in computer science, but also had skills as a leader. Thus, when he retired, he was able to take on a corporate job as a senior manager. After he was laid off unexpectedly, he was able to fall back on his skills in horse training and ministry to follow the Lord's calling as a minister who uses a horse to teach others about Christ.

How to love. There is very little, in my mind, that is more repulsive than a man who thinks he is God's gift to the world simply because he is in love with himself. A man who lives with a selfish heart has little value to his family, his friends, his society, and his Lord. Every man should know how and when to eat humble pie, and how to love others--even if it means offending or hurting their pride.

That's what I can think of for now.

Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟44,079.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

^_^ Yeah right.

A man should know how to blow things up using only his mind.
A man should be able to jump on top of houses, sing a woman's favorite song in 30 different languages, and then die.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rdonovan1

Oct 15, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
✟596.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Kill spiders and mutant bugs, or at least take em outside, how to get rid of mice. The skill to listen. screw in a lightbulb. Have the guts to clean out a bin that has had wrotten fruit in it for three weeks lol

Hey wait a minute. I thought getting rid of mice was the cat's job. lol.

Upvote 0

elephunky

Previously known as dgirl1986
Nov 28, 2007
Perth, Western Australia
✟14,441.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
^_^ Yeah right.

A man should be able to jump on top of houses, sing a woman's favorite song in 30 different languages, and then die.

Lol it was a quote from napolean dynamite, now theres a real man LOL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

elephunky

Previously known as dgirl1986
Nov 28, 2007
Perth, Western Australia
✟14,441.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
^_^ Yeah right.

Its a quote from napolean dynamite...now theres a REAL MAN

Upvote 0

willard3

Professional accomplice
Dec 18, 2005
✟10,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I seem to be good on just about everything except a couple camping related things (if I had directions for the tent I'd be ok...fire is fine, sharpening a knife I might botch up).

My major weakness is anything car-related. Change the oil? What? I could probably jump-start; that's pretty easy, and MAYBE help change a tire.

Upvote 0

deliciousBass

Contributor
Oct 1, 2006
DC Metro
✟27,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There anything in here about childcare, cooking or doing their laundry?

What about doing taxes?
I know how to do all those things!!

:clap:

Childcare is especially easy with boys.

Step 1. See boy
Step 2. Talk to boy
Step 3. Tell boy to play video games
Step 4. Feed pizza + chocolate milk and/or lunchables
Step 5. Tell boy to go to sleep or no video games and pizza

Upvote 0