Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Intimacy doesn't necessary = attentiveness or attention, and you can be away from your spouse and still have a great deal of intimacy.

Intimacy I just looked up and saw it was defined as:

So being way does not preclude these things, otherwise how would long distance relationships and military marriages ever survive?

Well, long distance and military marriages do have a high failure rate.

Regardless of that, as that silly "love languages" book talks about, there are a variety of ways to express intimacy, the most successful means vary from person to person and couple to couple. There are plenty of people who wouldn't find a long distance relationship fulfilling at all. Others, the separation wouldn't bother them or limit them in fulfilling their needs for intimacy. I wouldn't be happy seperated from my spouse for months on end, my needs for intimacy wouldn't be filled.

So again, what level of intimacy one requires might be less then what another requires. Meaning they can still be very fulfilled emotionally and in terms of their need for intimacy, and be a plural wife.

Or, as your definition pointed out, intimacy can come from a group, so I bet part of having your needs for intimacy fulfilled in a polygamist marriage comes from the group, not just the husband. That, I suspect, has a great deal to do with it as well. Thanks for showing us that the definition of intimacy doesn't preclude the idea that it can be provided by a group, not just an individual.... I think that goes a long way to explaining polygamy and how it can work.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Or, as your definition pointed out, intimacy can come from a group, so I bet part of having your needs for intimacy fulfilled in a polygamist marriage comes from the group, not just the husband. That, I suspect, has a great deal to do with it as well. Thanks for showing us that the definition of intimacy doesn't preclude the idea that it can be provided by a group, not just an individual.... I think that goes a long way to explaining polygamy and how it can work.
The definition neither explained nor "showed" "how" intimacy might work as part of a group. It merely gave a definition.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The definition neither explained nor "showed" "how" intimacy might work as part of a group. It merely gave a definition.

A definition that showed that intimacy can be fulfilled by not just an individual, but a group.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
A definition that showed that intimacy can be fulfilled by not just an individual, but a group.
LOL. It doesn't show anything. A definition is just a definition. It's not an explanation nor a vindication nor a confirmation.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that marrying more then one wife would work in any westernized countries certainty none in the US maybe a few countries I'm Europe.

I couldn't imagine dealing with two of what I see a lot of men dealing with.

And that is something that I see a lot of women (included on this board) fussing over the whole issue.

They see this sort of lifestyle as somehow degrading to their social standing. It wasn't till some particular Pope of the Catholic Church (which ruled the whole world at that time...including Russia and not just Europe) declared polygamy to be a sin that it actually was considered to be a crime. It most certainly wasn't Constantine...he had problems staying away from sun worship orgies.

And from what I seen...them women involved with this sort of lifestyle are wired a bit different than most westernized women. A bit more humble in desires and expectations. Not that they would allow cheating or inappropriate contentography viewing or anything of that sort at all. And most especially Kody showed a healthy respect to all of his wives. In fact his latest wife came from a home where she was the only wife and she got no respect whatsoever. so they divorced and she became Kody's wife.

Where I am not a woman and can't really understand what on earth they are going on about...it usually is a thing for women to declare and trumpet about as far as being degraded in some fashion. When clearly in the case of the program I seen...nothing could be further from the truth.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL. It doesn't show anything. A definition is just a definition. It's not an explanation nor a vindication nor a confirmation.

So then you posted the definition to support your point by mistake?

I'm just trying to understand here, but if it's not an explanation, vindication, or confirmation of anything, doesn't that both defeat the purpose of bringing it up here, if not the purpose of a dictionary all together?

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Does a dictionary vindicate anything? If you read the definiton of the word "hate" in the dictionary, does that vindicate you hating someone? Does it teach you how to hate anyone? Does it confirm that hating is okay, or that everyone hates?

A dictionary is impartial. That definition did not say "intimacy is something that is practised very successfully in polygamous marriages." So it is your application that is faulty.

I have no wish to keep on going backwards and forwards on this. If you choose to use a dictionary as your "bible" that is your concern. I see nothing in the definition of a word that would make me think that it supports polygamous marriage.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does a dictionary vindicate anything? If you read the definiton of the word "hate" in the dictionary, does that vindicate you hating someone? Does it teach you how to hate anyone? Does it confirm that hating is okay, or that everyone hates?

No, but then again, I didn't say it served as a means to vindicate anything. You said that the dictionary doesn't provide "an explanation" or "confirmation" to things. I thought this odd, since you presented it to explain your viewpoint about intimacy, that you would then claim that the definition was meaningless to the discussion. Not only does it contradict why dictionaries exist in the first place, but it contradicts why you'd present it initially to the discussion.

A dictionary is impartial. That definition did not say "intimacy is something that is practised very successfully in polygamous marriages." So it is your application that is faulty.
No, but then again, I didn't say it did. I said that it pointed out that intimacy can be, according to your very definition, delivered singularly and collectively, individually or through a group. I stated that was a good point, that knowing the needs for intimacy can be filled by a group, that this very probably is how polygamists fulfill their needs for intimacy: as a group. It may not be that the individuals need less intimacy and are therefore OK to receive less, it means that they may very well get those needs met by the marriage as a whole, including the husband and other wives (or wife and other husbands as the situation allows).

I'll admit, I was curious, so while I was on the treadmill this afternoon, I watched 5 episodes from season 2. I have to say, seeing their dynamic and hearing how they talk, it does very clearly seem like the intimacy is a group dynamic that is filled, not a singular dynamic. I think there's some merit to it and, as your definition pointed out, intimacy is gleaned through a number of ways, including the group dynamic. It makes perfect sense to me. They certainly operate in a fashion of co-dependency on with the other wives and speak of each other and their collective relationship in a way that makes it seem like the all-encompassing nature of their relationship is intimacy gained through the common marriage.

I have no wish to keep on going backwards and forwards on this. If you choose to use a dictionary as your "bible" that is your concern. I see nothing in the definition of a word that would make me think that it supports polygamous marriage.
You're kidding, right?

I wasn't the one who presented the definition. This was your definition, your dictionary, your presentation. You brought it up. I pointed out your definition and saw that it said that needs for intimacy can be derived from groups, and then suddenly you say that definition means nothing, which makes no sense since it seemed to mean something when you presented it and only it was after, through it's impartiality and encompassing nature, I presented that it clearly states how intimacy needs can be established via a group. I didn't bring it up, I used YOUR definition that YOU submitted to the discussion.

How is that me seeing the dictionary as "the bible" on the topic? Again, this rudeness out of nowhere and for no reason, because I agreed with a point in the definition YOU provided. Considering the whole point of this discussion is trying to understand what's going on with them, I think it's a good point that was brought up to make things a little clearer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

Romanseight2005

And that is something that I see a lot of women (included on this board) fussing over the whole issue.

They see this sort of lifestyle as somehow degrading to their social standing. It wasn't till some particular Pope of the Catholic Church (which ruled the whole world at that time...including Russia and not just Europe) declared polygamy to be a sin that it actually was considered to be a crime. It most certainly wasn't Constantine...he had problems staying away from sun worship orgies.

And from what I seen...them women involved with this sort of lifestyle are wired a bit different than most westernized women. A bit more humble in desires and expectations. Not that they would allow cheating or inappropriate contentography viewing or anything of that sort at all. And most especially Kody showed a healthy respect to all of his wives. In fact his latest wife came from a home where she was the only wife and she got no respect whatsoever. so they divorced and she became Kody's wife.

Where I am not a woman and can't really understand what on earth they are going on about...it usually is a thing for women to declare and trumpet about as far as being degraded in some fashion. When clearly in the case of the program I seen...nothing could be further from the truth.

Really? Have you ever read the Old Testament? When do you see polygamy not causing problems?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, I mean c'mon now. Doesn't my wife realize how much quicker the cleaning would go if she had another wife in here to help? Maybe if the next one was 19, she could have it real easy, since the younger ones have more stamina.

Upvote 0

Niffer

So...that just happened.
Aug 1, 2008
Ontario
✟20,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
OR Oooor! How about I just have 2 or three husbands to provide for me and my babies?
I'm sure they'd get used to dividing me up between them.
I could have all three of them working, make triple income or have a double income and keep one home to help with the kids! :D

Upvote 0