Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
‘Mealtime is a valuable family time,’ says Sister T.A., ‘where warm, lasting memories are made.’

What a wonderful surprise to interview a Vietnamese Catholic sister, Thien Anh Khong, who is a Salesian Sister of St. John Bosco living in Corralitos, California.

“My family moved to the United States in 1992,” she said, “and lived in Schenectady, New York. My family is very Catholic, and my dad used to be a seminarian. He met my mother while he was teaching in Hanoi.” He was captured by the communists and sent to a concentration camp for eight years. Thankfully, after his imprisonment, the family was sponsored and emigrated to the United States.

Known by all as Sister T.A., she explained why she desired to follow this life. Thanks to her parents, Sister T.A. growing up felt the urge to dedicate herself to help others and to know and love God. “When I was young, I worked with kids in my neighborhood. I discerned to join the Salesian Sisters because we work with youth in education and our charism is joyful, very open, and has a strong family spirit.

Sister T.A. is surely a smart teacher, but she has another skill that she developed in her youth: cooking. Because both her parents worked, Sister T.A. and her brothers took turns cooking daily. As they started, they assessed all the available ingredients and would wonder what they could create. “It must be healthy, tasty and appealing to the family,” she said.

Continued below.