Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I fear the Holy spirit is not working in you.
I will pray that truth be your guild.

Insults are not becoming of the saints. Besides, you did not answer or explain anything as an alternative position to convince me (with God’s Holy Word). How do you view the verses I presented?

In any event, May God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is just so wrong. Neither of these things biblically disqualify a believer from salvation. Apostacy, Hebrew 6, says:

Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

But we see the cross covers a lifetime of failures and sins. So it is impossible to crucify again Christ while one lives. The person listed here is someone who has wandered from the truth, and eventually died in their sins.

The word afresh means… again. Only a believer can commit this (Which is apostasy or a rejection of Jesus). Jewish believers were faced with upcoming persecution, and they thought that they could go back to the Jewish religion for a while until the persecution passed, and then come back to following Jesus again. But if they were to do so… they would be crucifying the Son of God again (i.e. afresh - KJB).

You said:
Heb 9:27-28 And as it is appointed unto men once to die,

This is referring to physical death of every person. So I am not sure why you highlighted it.

Jude 1:12 says, “These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;”

Here we see an example of a believer who died spiritually. They are twice dead in the fact that they were dead spiritually before coming to the faith, and then they later turned God’s grace into a license for immorality (Jude 1:4) and died a second time spiritually. They are twice dead, plucked up by the roots. They had root at one time in their life in that they received the seed of the Word of God.

You said:
but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many;

But we each need to have the proper faith in order for His once time sacrifice of bearing the sins of many to be applied to our lives. Faith is conditional on our part. God does not force us to have faith. For without faith, it is impossible to please God. Faith includes trusting in God’s grace (faith in Jesus as one’s Savior and the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4), and faith includes also in taking action like we see described in Hebrews 11.

You said:
As for speaking a bad word against the Holy Ghost, that is not unpardonable either. The unpardonable sin is a state of heart when no matter the power of the miracle, or sign, the person ignores the message of the cross. The Pharisees were condemned for not believing in Jesus' miracles, calling him a devil. It was a blasphemy against Gods' signs to them.

Actually. Look at the Word of God and see what it says.
It contrasts blasphemy of the Holy Spirit with speaking a word against the Son of man.

“And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.” (Matthew 12:32).

So a person who speaks words against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven. That is what it says if you believe the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yu are miss-quoting me all over the place. The scripture is stating to the mature Christain, that if we see our brother committing a sin, and it has not lead to their physical death, God has not given up on them, and we are to pray that they be restored to righteousness, to right living, and God will do the restoring.

We can be sure that God has not given up on any Christain who has not died in their sin. We are not to condone the sin, no rather pray for them to come out from it.

If you were to carefully reread the whole chapter several times and ask God for the understanding, John appears to be categorizing different types of sin.

“All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.” (1 John 5:17).

But we know that the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23).

But John says that there is a sin not unto death. I believe this is in context to confessed sin that the believer is seeking to overcome because this would be the context from within the epistle itself. For if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). This is the kind of believer who does not have the wrong mindset that they must commit grievous sin again at some future point in their life. This is a believer who honestly wants to obey God in all they do and this is not a believer who is seeking to justify sin.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The wages of sin is death. We all sin ... we all deserve death. Christ paid our sin debt (AMEN!) Sin is sin and death is death. The consequences of sin (experienced) may be more severe than others .... but it's all sin. (ie experiencing murder is much more severe than someone lying) .... but they are both sin.

We are born separated from God ... spiritually and physically.

Through Christ we receive ever lasting life .... spiritually and physically ... and when His plan has been fully executed then this becomes the reality.

ABSOLUTELY AND AMEN !!!

Sorry. The Bible teaches that only past sins are forgiven us.

The Bible teaches only past sins are forgiven us (not future sins).

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Insults are not becoming of the saints. Besides, you did not answer or explain anything as an alternative position to convince me (with God’s Holy Word). How do you view the verses I presented?

In any event, May God bless you.
Fearing that you may not be led by His Holy Spirit, in this case, is a concern. Nevertheless, the alternative position to 1 John 5 16-17 is simply not to pray for the dead. They have sinned unto death.
Blessings.

• Friendly
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amen! John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Believing in Jesus is more than just believing in the person of Jesus Christ, but it is believing everything He taught, said, and did. It would be believing even His followers. For Paul says that we are to imitate him, and he said that he imitates Christ. Anyways, by what you said in this other thread here, it does not appear like you are for obeying all of God’s commands and that if we forget to confess of a sin, it will not condemn us. John tells us to “sin not” (1 John 2:1), but if we do happen to sin we have an advocate named Jesus Christ that we can go to confess our sins. For John ways, if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). The problem is that most Christians do not believe these verses. Most Christians do not believe they have to confess of sin to be forgiven of sin even though that is what the verse says. Most Christians do not believe John when he says, “sin not.”

You said:
1 John 5:16 - If anyone sees his brother [believer] committing a sin that does not [lead to] death (the extinguishing of life), he will pray and [God] will give him life [yes, He will grant life to all those whose sin is not one leading to death]. There is a sin [that leads] to death; I do not say that one should pray for that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin which does not [involve] death [that may be repented of and forgiven]. 18 We know [absolutely] that anyone born of God does not [deliberately and knowingly] practice committing sin, but the One Who was begotten of God carefully watches over and protects him [Christ’s divine presence within him preserves him against the evil], and the wicked one does not lay hold (get a grip) on him or touch [him]. (AMPC)

The words “practicing sin” is an addition by Modern Translations.

“We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness. And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.” (1 John 5:18-20).

To contrast the believer it talks about how the whole world lies in wickedness. When I talk with Christians they say they can sin and still be saved and when I ask what does a life of not practicing sin look like they really do not give me a good answer. How many times does one not sin? Do Christians sin every week or just every couple of months or just sin less every couple of hours? Where is the line drawn to determine what is practicing sin and what is not practicing sin? You have already stated that you don’t have to confess every sin to be forgiven (saved). So this means you are teaching that a believer can sin and still be saved. This would be teaching others they can practice sin because they do not have to worry about keeping God’s laws but they can just believe on Jesus alone to be saved (with no real worry about how they live).

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟301,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believing in Jesus is more than just believing in the person of Jesus Christ, but it is believing everything He taught, said, and did. It would be believing even His followers. For Paul says that we are to imitate him, and he said that he imitates Christ. Anyways, by what you said in this other thread here, it does not appear like you are for obeying all of God’s commands and that if we forget to confess of a sin, it will not condemn us. John tells us to “sin not” (1 John 2:1), but if we do happen to sin we have an advocate named Jesus Christ that we can go to confess our sins. For John ways, if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). The problem is that most Christians do not believe these verses. Most Christians do not believe they have to confess of sin to be forgiven of sin even though that is what the verse says. Most Christians do not believe John when he says, “sin not.”

The words “practicing sin” is an addition by Modern Translations.

“We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness. And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.” (1 John 5:18-20).

To contrast the believer it talks about how the whole world lies in wickedness. When I talk with Christians they say they can sin and still be saved and when I ask what does a life of not practicing sin look like they really do not give me a good answer. How many times does one not sin? Do Christians sin every week or just every couple of months or just sin less every couple of hours? Where is the line drawn to determine what is practicing sin and what is not practicing sin? You have already stated that you don’t have to confess every sin to be forgiven (saved). So this means you are teaching that a believer can sin and still be saved. This would be teaching others they can practice sin because they do not have to worry about keeping God’s laws but they can just believe on Jesus alone to be saved (with no real worry about how they live).
I see that you are still advocating sinless perfection and salvation by works. Good luck with that. You remain caught up in the “holier than thou” syndrome. :(

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fearing that you may not be led by His Holy Spirit, in this case, is a concern. Nevertheless, the alternative position to 1 John 5 16-17 is simply not to pray for the dead. They have sinned unto death.
Blessings.

I can say the same of you and others, but I would not do so because it can come off as insulting and even lead to getting in trouble with the staff. But God commands me to forgive and to return good for what I believe is any kind of wrong spoken against me. So I will say to you… “May God’s love and peace shine upon you greatly today.” Also, I believe I am being led by the Spirit, and you would be making a false accusation against everything I hold dear in this life (Which is the working of God in my life). The Spirit is given to those who obey Him (Acts of the Apostles 5:32). Nowhere am I encouraging anyone to disobey God (of which you took my thread to be - when that is not the case at all).

I have learned a lot in God’s Word and I have many God stories that can only be by the guiding of the Holy Spirit. So I disagree with your false accusation. I am not the first non-Catholic Christian to hold to the view that there is mortal and non-mortal sins. To call into question that a Christian who believes this way in that they are all setting out to trivialize sin is not fair because the Bible does appear to teach non-mortal sin (1 John 5:16-17). The Scriptures are inspired by the Holy Spirit, and so the issue is of one in understanding them (if you do believe I am not understanding this topic correctly). So instead of insulting me, you should do your best to help me as a fellow brother to gain the understanding on what His Word says (i.e. loving me). But if you want to keep throwing stones at me (with you having no way of truly knowing you are 100% correct unless you are God), then go right ahead and keep throwing stones. I will rejoice in God my Savior (Matthew 5:11-12).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see that you are still advocating sinless perfection and salvation by works. Good luck with that. You remain caught up in the “holier than thou” syndrome. :(

I do not believe you have to be perfect to be saved. Hence, why I believe there is mortal sin and non-mortal sin. 1 John 5:16-17 teaches there is a sin not unto death (i.e. non-mortal sin). But Protestants don’t believe that even though that is what Scripture plainly says. Even if it is referring to a sin that immediately leads to physical death vs. sin that does not lead immediately to physical death, it’s still a distinction between one type of sin over another in that one leads to death and the other does not. Protestants are just doing a fancy dance around this passage so as to not believe it. Yes, I am not Catholic. I am strongly against many of their unbiblical practices (like praying to Mary, confessing sins to a priest, bowing down to statues, a pope, statues and icons everywhere, denial of Sola Scriptura, their great accumulation of wealth, a denial that we are all priests, forbidding to marry, they call men their father, etc.) but I do see that they are closer to the truth on this topic (not that they are correct entirely on this topic in their exact definitions on what all is mortal sin and non-mortal sin in the Bible).

As for the claim that I believe in salvation by works:

Well, if I were to take that statement at face value alone it would be a false accusation because I don’t believe we are saved solely on the basis of works ALONE. I believe Christians are initially and foundationally saved by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ, the gospel, and in seeking forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ (without the deeds of the Law). This is the first aspect of our salvation and it is the foundation upon which we stand. God’s grace. Without it, we would all be doomed because every person needs to have their past slate of sin wiped out by the grace of Jesus Christ. The gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. It’s believing that Christ died for our sins, He was buried, and He was risen three days later for our salvation. This is the gospel we stand upon. It’s no more and no less than that. But this does not mean there is not another secondary aspect of salvation that follows in being saved by God’s grace. For there is also a call of the gospel (not that it is the gospel). 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 mentions this call of the gospel. The call of the gospel (verse 14) is that… God has chosen you to salvation through Sanctification of the Spirit and a belief of the truth (verse 13). Sanctification here is not referring to a one time event of being born again by the Spirit, but it is referring to how the Spirit sanctifies us throughout our entire lives. How do we know this? Because of the context. Verse 12 gives us the polar opposite of what verse 13 says.

Verse 12 - believed not the truth (contrast with):
Verse 13 - belief of the truth.

Verse 12 - pleasure in unrighteousness (contrast with):
Verse 13 - sanctification of the Spirit.
The same is true when we compare verse 13 with verses 16-17.

Verse 16 - good hope through grace (contrast with):
Verse 13 - belief of the truth.

Verse 17 - establish you in every good word and work (contrast with):
Verse 13: - sanctification of the Spirit.​

For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14).

“And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation” (John 5:29).

“And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 25:30).

For one can deny God by being reprobate unto every good work (or good fruit) in their life.

“They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.” (Titus 1:16).

Side Note:

Also, works, or putting away grievous sin out of our lives (living holy by the Sanctification of the Holy Spirit) is a part of the faith just as believing in God’s grace is a part of the faith. Check out this thread here:

The Two Sides of the Coin of Faith

In other words, the works salvation that Paul is condemning is “Works ALONE Salvationism” (that did not include being saved by God’s grace) (cf. Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:3-5, Titus 3:5). At the Jerusalem council in Acts of the Apostles 15, we learn that there were certain Jews who were trying to get Gentile Christians to be circumcised to be initially saved (instead of being saved by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ). For if a person thought they had to be saved by circumcision as their entrance of gate of being saved, they would be making a work or the Law the basis or foundation of their salvation. This is why Paul spoke in a negative light against works and or the Law (i.e. the Old Law). For Paul said to the Galatians that if you seek to be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing (Galatians 5:2). But Paul was not against all forms of Law after being saved by God’s grace. Paul said he was under the Law (Laws) of Christ (See: 1 Corinthians 9:21). Paul said if any teach otherwise and does not agree with the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine according to godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can say the same of you and others, but I would not do so because it can come off as insulting and even lead to getting in trouble with the staff. But God commands me to forgive and to return good for what I believe is any kind of wrong spoken against me. So I will say to you… “May God’s love and peace shine upon you greatly today.” Also, I believe I am being led by the Spirit, and you would be making a false accusation against everything I hold dear in this life (Which is the working of God in my life). The Spirit is given to those who obey Him (Acts of the Apostles 5:32). Nowhere am I encouraging anyone to disobey God (of which you took my thread to be - when that is not the case at all).

I have learned a lot in God’s Word and I have many God stories that can only be by the guiding of the Holy Spirit. So I disagree with your false accusation. I am not the first non-Catholic Christian to hold to the view that there is mortal and non-mortal sins. To call into question that a Christian who believes this way in that they are all setting out to trivialize sin is not fair because the Bible does appear to teach non-mortal sin (1 John 5:16-17). The Scriptures are inspired by the Holy Spirit, and so the issue is of one in understanding them (if you do believe I am not understanding this topic correctly). So instead of insulting me, you should do your best to help me as a fellow brother to gain the understanding on what His Word says (i.e. loving me). But if you want to keep throwing stones at me (with you having no way of truly knowing you are 100% correct unless you are God), then go right ahead and keep throwing stones. I will rejoice in God my Savior (Matthew 5:11-12).
Seems I hit a nerve. My apologies for hitting that nerve.
Iron sharpens iron my friend.

There is only one truth and we all know the Holy Spirit guilds us to that truth. But thank you for clarifying what you belive in, " mortal and non- mortal , venial, sins" . Your right this is a Catholic doctrine. Though Jesus Christ of Nazareth never taught such a thing, I would have to follow His interpretation of all sin.
Blessings.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Seems I hit a nerve.

Your imagining something that is not there. No nerve was hit.

Hit a nerve (definition):

to make someone feel angry, upset, embarrassed, etc.
Source:
Definition of HIT/STRIKE/TOUCH A NERVE

I was not angry, upset, embarrassed, etc.
I was slightly grieved or sorrowed by your false accusation.

For nobody likes it when they are insulted and they no real basis of evidence to prove otherwise.
For how would you like it if somebody told you the same thing you told me?
You wouldn’t like it, would you?

Usually in my experience, I get insults when a person does not know how to defend what they believe with the Bible. So they resort to insults so as to uplift themselves. Granted, I am not saying this is the case with you, but I am just sharing this based on my 10 years of experience of discussion of God’s Holy Word with other Christians online.

For iron can only sharpen iron if that believer is continually offering Scripture - IMHO. For believers should have the word living inside of them and guiding them because they are inspired by the Holy Spirit.

You said:
There is only one truth and we all know the Holy Spirit guilds us to that truth. But thank you for clarifying what you belive in, " mortal and non- mortal , venial, sins" . Your right this is a Catholic doctrine. Though Jesus Christ of Nazareth never taught such a thing, I would have to follow His interpretation of all sin.
Blessings.

Guilt by association is not always true. Catholics believe in the doctrine of the Trinity. Yet, another organization claiming to be Christian can say that the Trinity is false, and it is a Catholic doctrine and yet they would not be correct because we know that the Bible establishes clearly that there is a Trinity (See: 1 John 5:7 KJB). I can establish by Scripture that there is a sin unto death and a sin not unto death because that is what the Bible plainly says in 1 John 5:16-17. So when I say… non death sins… this is taken from 1 John 5:16-17 whether you like those words in your Bible or not. You have to deal with these words in the Bible and offer an explanation if you don’t believe these words are saying what they plainly mean. You cannot throw around unfounded accusations instead of helping by giving an answer with God’s Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sin is not to be struggled with. No one can overcome sin by his own strength. Jesus said to learn humility the correct way is by imitating his humility, not to be a dumb doormat, and one needs to carry his cross daily or meaning die to self will on a daily basis.
What about sinful thoughts? Shouldn't we put them out of mind?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So some sins won't kill me? What sin is that? People commit every sin but don't die from it.

1 John 5:16-17 says,
“If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.”

I believe the sin not unto death is confessed sin (1 John 1:9) (1 John 2:1). In context, I believe 1 John 5:16-17 now plays in part with James 5:13-18. A believer is sick and they could possibly die. So the brethren pray for this believer who has sinned and if they are confessing their sins, and they are genuine in desiring to overcome them, they will be forgiven and healed. But if they are just playing games with sin and think they can sin and still be saved (i.e. the Gnostic belief that states sin is an illusion or non-existent - 1 John 1:8), then they are in unbelief of God’s Word and they are disobeying God’s commands and their sin is unto physical death. Their sickness will lead to physical death. They abide in spiritual death but their sin is unto physical death. The sin not unto death is a believer stumbling and striving to get back up and overcome in this life and they are confessing this sin and asking for the prayers of the brethren. The true genuine believer seeks to fight and battle to overcome and eradicate sin in their life and walk uprightly with their Lord. For John’s whole 1st epistle is a contrast between…

#1. Those who justify sin

vs.​

#2. Those who seek to confess and forsake sin and live uprightly with their Lord.

So if a believer is a gnostic in that they justify sin, they are not to pray for them to live. Now, they could pray that they could repent before they die, but to pray for them to live is not what John had in mind. They are sick on account of their sins and committing a sin unto physical death by their rejection of God’s Word. For example: Christians Scientists believe sin is an illusion or non-existent. So if they are sick and dying, we are not to pray for them to live physically but we can pray for them to repent and witness to them to change their wrong beliefs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What about sinful thoughts? Shouldn't we put them out of mind?

Yes, according to Jesus, if we look upon a woman in lust, we can be cast bodily into hellfire (Matthew 5:28-30). According to the apostle John: Just hating our brother means we are a murderer, and no murderer has eternal life abiding in them (1 John 3:15). This is why salvation is not a belief alone in Jesus + nothing or despite how we live.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry. The Bible teaches that only past sins are forgiven us.

The Bible teaches only past sins are forgiven us (not future sins).

The door of forgiveness is open until Jesus returns .... and that is yet in the future.

Jesus died for us “once for all.”

If only past sins are forgiven, then we would have to keep reapplying the blood of Jesus every time we sin. The writer of Hebrews wrote at great length about how inferior the old system of Temple worship was, where Israel had to keep offering sacrifices year after year, and how Christ’s sacrifice now is far superior because He offered it once and it was complete.

It does not have to be reapplied year after year, sin after sin. Instead, we are perfected by His one sacrifice, once and for all.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The door of forgiveness is open until Jesus returns .... and that is yet in the future.

If only past sins are forgiven, then we would have to keep reapplying the blood of Jesus every time we sin. The writer of Hebrews wrote at great length about how inferior the old system of Temple worship was, where Israel had to keep offering sacrifices year after year, and how Christ’s sacrifice now is far superior because He offered it once and it was complete.

It does not have to be reapplied year after year, sin after sin. Instead, we are perfected by His one sacrifice, once and for all.

So then you are a Universalist? Everyone is forgiven by Christ’s one time sacrifice? Surely not. So what distinguishes us between the unbeliever who is unforgiven and not saved? It’s faith. Faith is the way we can access God’s grace or Christ’s sacrifice and resurrection. But this is not just any kind of faith. It’s a very specific kind of faith described in the Holy Bible.

Check out this CF thread to learn more.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Also, have you ever read 1 John 1:7 lately?
How about Hebrews 10:26?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So then you are a Universalist? Everyone is forgiven by Christ’s one time sacrifice? Surely not. So what distinguishes us between the unbeliever who is unforgiven and not saved? It’s faith. Faith is the way we can access God’s grace or Christ’s sacrifice and resurrection. But this is not just any kind of faith. It’s a very specific kind of faith described in the Holy Bible.

Check out this CF thread to learn more.

no ... His Word is clear ... some will be saved ... some not .... salvation is a gift ... but one decides whether they will receive the gift.

.... and Abraham BELIEVED GOD .... that is faith.

Much of Abram’s life was a life of faith and obedience, it was not a life of perfect faith and perfect obedience. At times he displayed weakness in both areas. (Does that sound like anyone you know?)

All of which leads to the crucial point, and that is: the righteousness that saves us is a righteousness that is credited to us, a righteousness that is (to use a fancy theological term) imputed to us.

This means that we are declared righteous in the sight of God, despite our faults; it means that the God of heaven views us as righteous even if we are not. This is what He did with Abram, and this is what He will do to all who come to Him in “the faith of Abraham” (Romans 4:16).

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Also, have you ever read 1 John 1:7 lately?
How about Hebrews 10:26?

1 John 1:7

New Living Translation
But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses (on going - sanctification) us from all sin.

Continuous over the course of one's lifetime ... continuously being cleansed.

Hebrews 10:26 (conditional)

26 If we deliberately go on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no further sacrifice for sins remains,

The Holy Spirit helps us overcome sin .... but one can ignore the Holy Spirit totally and that is blasphemy and that sin ... will not covered by His sacrifice.

The unpardonable sin is knowing the truth and rejecting it anyway… willfully… repeatedly… and despite the many pleadings of the Holy Spirit to the contrary.

“For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries” (Hebrews 10:26, 27). God will not save us from continuing in willful sin and rejection of the Holy Spirit.

A person can get to the point where they don't even recognize their sin (transgression of the law) .... they first harden their own hearts .... and if they don't come to repentance then God hardens their heart (ie the experience of Pharaoh) God will remove His Holy Spirit from them totally and give them over to their sin .... and the blood of Jesus will not cover them.

Upvote 0