Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It’s painfully obvious that you and I will NEVER come to a complete agreement on this. Good day sir.

I know this may seem unlikely to you, but I hope the Lord will show you what He has shown to me on this topic. For it was not something I came to know right away in the faith. It took time and studying God’s Word with the Lord and in being a good Berean to come out from under the umbrella of Protestantism. Yes, Catholicism and Orthodox is also unbiblical. I am just a simple “Bible Alone + the Anointing to Understand It” type believer (Who has been fortunate to see what many are unwilling to see). Most just want to justify sin these days. Some do so subtly, and others are simply not realizing the problems inherit in Belief Alone-ism.

Anyways, we can simply agree to disagree in love and respect and move on (of course).

May God bless you greatly (even if we do disagree strongly on this topic).

Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
Germany's sin city - Munich
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know this may seem unlikely to you, but I hope the Lord will show you what He has shown to me on this topic. For it was not something I came to know right away in the faith. It took time and studying God’s Word with the Lord and in being a good Berean to come out from under the umbrella of Protestantism. Yes, Catholicism and Orthodox is also unbiblical. I am just a simple “Bible Alone + the Anointing to Understand It” type believer (Who has been fortunate to see what many are unwilling to see). Most just want to justify sin these days. Some do so subtly, and others are simply not realizing the problems inherit in Belief Alone-ism.

Anyways, we can simply agree to disagree in love and respect and move on (of course).

May God bless you greatly (even if we do disagree strongly on this topic).
Orthodox is often a bit different from Catholic, just like the Anabaptists.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Orthodox is often a bit different from Catholic, just like the Anabaptists.
I am aware of some of the differences. I was not not saying they were identical in every way but they are also not unrelated, either. I believe the Orthodox Church is a spin-off faction from the Catholic Church. Again, there are differences, but I believe they both have similar unbiblical practices. For example: I believe both churches engage in the unbiblical practice of involving themselves with idol statues.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Anyways, getting back on topic of this thread:

Well, many Christians today do not recognize that there any “sins unto death” which can cause them to be in any danger of hellfire. Most in popular evangelical Christianity who make it all about grace or a belief in Jesus for salvation do not realize the dangers of such a belief. Yes, we are initially saved by God’s grace (Which is a process of salvation without works). But they fail to take into account the secondary aspect of salvation (Sanctification) that happens after we are saved by His grace. They are not able to clearly see Sanctification verses that talk about salvation (2 Thessalonians 2:13, Galatians 6:8-9, Romans 8:13), and they don’t accept Jesus’ warnings about how certain sins can destroy our souls as believers (See: Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62). They do not realize that without holiness, no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14).

To get a flavor of what I am talking about, here is a short 4 minute video clip which helps to illustrate the odd thinking of Christianity today (Which is wrong):

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyways, getting back on topic of this thread:

Well, many Christians today do not recognize that there any “sins unto death” which can cause them to be in any danger of hellfire. Most in popular evangelical Christianity who make it all about grace or a belief in Jesus for salvation do not realize the dangers of such a belief. Yes, we are initially saved by God’s grace (Which is a process of salvation without works). But they fail to take into account the secondary aspect of salvation (Sanctification) that happens after we are saved by His grace. They are not able to clearly see Sanctification verses that talk about salvation (2 Thessalonians 2:13, Galatians 6:8-9, Romans 8:13), and they don’t accept Jesus’ warnings about how certain sins can destroy our souls as believers (See: Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62). They do not realize that without holiness, no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14).

To get a flavor of what I am talking about, here is a short 4 minute video clip which helps to illustrate the odd thinking of Christianity today (Which is wrong):

i know this channel

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I believe God’s people should take sin very seriously, as well. I believe most sins (sins that lead unto death or to hell) should be confessed and forsaken (with the intent of overcoming them in this life). I believe that Christians must live holy at some point after they are saved by God’s grace or they are not going to make it into the Kingdom. Grace is what gets us there or helps us to get to a point whereby we can overcome grievous sin.

Hi Bible Highlighter,

Good reasoning, Scripture and points you made that are useful. In my view, which I feel you may feel similarly, there are the sins that particularly do not lead to eternal death but must still be confessed and worked on in our lives, because it is never ok to remain in any sin, and even seemingly benign sins can easily lead us to spiritual death. Those sins I refer to that do not lead to eternal death are things we do from weakness in the flesh, such as:
  • binge eating,
  • staying up too late,
  • not studying God's Word or serving God more than we do with the talents we possess,
  • wasting our time in frivolous things such as too much recreation, or reading fairy tales or fiction that usurps our time,
  • not being the best good steward of our time, our talents, and our resources,
  • watching movies that do not benefit our spiritual growth, and may hinder it, and waste time,
  • not developing the God given talents we possess in a way that benefits others optimally,
  • not witnessing our faith in Christ do others like we should, or not preparing to do so, while we live on this earth
  • making poor use of our time,
  • adding one's own frivolous meanings to God's Word that is of no use, but does not disfigure the Gospel and His teachings.
  • a lie done with the intention to preserve peace, or to protect someone, or self, from undue attack by others.
Things like that are sins that take away rewards we could have received by our Lord for the good works we do for him while in this life, but are not sins onto death in that such sins are not done with the intention to do any harm to people, or to take advantage of anyone for our own selfish desires, or to intentionally abuse the grace we possess in Christ, but are not helpful either. Such sins rather add no value to our life in Christ, and hinder are spiritual growth and productivity in Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 3:15 (WEB) 15 If any man’s work is burned, he will suffer loss, but he himself will be saved, but as through fire.

However, such sins, if not careful, could choke out our faith and our first Love for Christ Jesus, so that we become ever less productive in our faith, and so fall away from the faith to become slave onto the cares of this life, which leads to eternal punishment.

Luke 21:34-36 (WEB) 34 “So be careful, or your hearts will be loaded down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that day will come on you suddenly. 35 For it will come like a snare on all those who dwell on the surface of all the earth. 36 Therefore be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

Revelation 2:4-5 (WEB) 4 But I have this against you, that you left your first love. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen, and repent and do the first works; or else I am coming to you swiftly, and will move your lamp stand out of its place, unless you repent.

Sins onto death

Sins onto death would be those sinful acts that come out of a heart of selfish ambition that replace our love for Christ and/or with the intent to harm others, to take advantage of others, so that we may increase our own carnal pleasures and worldly benefits in this life. If a Christian does such things, he has fallen from grace.

Revelation 3:3-5 (WEB) I know your works, that you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. 2 Wake up and keep the things that remain, which you were about to throw away, for I have found no works of yours perfected before my God. 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard. Keep it and repent. If therefore you won’t watch, I will come as a thief, and you won’t know what hour I will come upon you. 4 Nevertheless you have a few names in Sardis that didn’t defile their garments. They will walk with me in white, for they are worthy. 5 He who overcomes will be arrayed in white garments, and I will in no way blot his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

1 Thessalonians 4:3-8 (WEB) 3 For this is the will of God: your sanctification, that you abstain from sexual immorality, 4 that each one of you know how to control his own body[a] in sanctification and honor, 5 not in the passion of lust, even as the Gentiles who don’t know God, 6 that no one should take advantage of and wrong a brother or sister in this matter; because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as also we forewarned you and testified. 7 For God called us not for uncleanness, but in sanctification. 8 Therefore he who rejects this doesn’t reject man, but God, who has also given his Holy Spirit to you.

But if such Christian, while still alive in this world, should repent, turning from his selfish ambitions, and then should re-submit himself to God, then that Christian is forgiven. But if that Christian is caught off guard in such sins, living in those sins, until his death, there is no room for repentance, but only judgment. Death can come at any time for us, and so, the wise Christian is to always remain alert and sober-minded about his Spiritual walk with Christ while on this earth.

God will also harden a Christian's heart in punishment, whether permanently or temporarily, who deliberately keeps on sinning in areas of selfish ambition: using and taking advantage of others for one's own gain: stealing, lying, cheating, harsh jokes against others, slander, killing or physical harm and/or psychological harm to others - all of these are done with the intention to harm others for selfish reasons.

Galatians 5:19-25 (WEB)
19 Now the deeds of the flesh are obvious, which are: adultery, sexual immorality, uncleanness, lustfulness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, strife, jealousies, outbursts of anger, rivalries, divisions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these; of which I forewarn you, even as I also forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let’s also walk by the Spirit.

This is my understanding, and I think I have some understanding of spiritual things, but I am not perfect.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
i know this channel
Yes, I agree with Adam in “Abide in the Word” in regards to how we need to do good works and or live holy as a part of God’s plan of salvation, but I think we disagree on Initial Salvation. I believe in two aspects of salvation.

Aspect of Salvation #1. - We are saved by God’s grace through faith without works (Initial Salvation).
Aspect of Salvation #2. - We abide in the Sanctification of the Spirit (to live a holy life (Secondary Aspect of Salvation that is lived out our whole lives after we are saved by God’s grace).

This is sometimes referred to as “Initial and Final Salvation” but I do not like that term “Final Salvation” (to represent our holy walk with God over our whole lives) because “Final Salvation” sounds to me more like “Glorification” when God takes His people home to be in His kingdom on account of their having a proper faith and faithfulness in Him. Adam’s video of Hitler and Eternal Security is my only favorite by him. He could be a little more loving. I now believe in water baptism as a necessity of the faith. Christians must be water baptized in this life. But there was a time in my Christian walk whereby I believed water baptism was not necessary and it was only Spirit baptism that applied. When I was in my older belief and I told him I did not believe in water baptism, he called me a heretic and told me to “Be gone” or something like that. I don’t consider the baptism issue to be a salvation issue but I do see it now as a requirement or must as a part of the faith. I have been trying to reach out to him about this but my YouTube comments appeared to be shadow banned or something because my comments will not appear In looking at the comments outside of my account.

Anyways, if I am properly understanding Adam (from “Abide in the Word” YouTube channel), I disagree with his view that salvation (God’s grace) is accessed by ”Faith/Works” involving our Initial Salvation. It appears in one video that he took James chapter 2 to the extreme in the sense that James was talking even about Initial Salvation (Which is I do not believe is the case). I believe we are first saved by God’s grace initially without works (Which is the only time when “Faith Alone” exists in our Christian life), and then we enter the Sanctification Process of living a holy life by the Spirit (Which does involve works) in the secondary aspect of our salvation. In the Secondary Aspect of Salvation, the idea of “Faith Alone” (or a belief alone) is not true. Faith Alone is only true in our Initial Salvation. So I see Adam as teaching “Works ALONE Salvationism” (that ignores how we are initially saved by God’s grace without works). It’s unfortunate, but most Christians do the opposite with the apostle Paul. They believe in ”Belief Alone Salvationism” with works being some kind of by-product or after effect (And they say “Works” do not involve our salvation - which is contradictory to their own words).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Bible Highlighter,

Good reasoning, Scripture and points you made that are useful.
All glory to the Lord Jesus Christ for anything He has shared with me.

God did reveal another loose passage to me on this topic or study recently. It is Luke 12:47-48.

Luke 12:47-48
47 ”And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself,​
neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.​
48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten​
with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required:​
and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.”​
If they did not know his will and did things WORTHY OF STRIPES.
So this to me is suggesting or implying that there may be sins that are not worthy of stripes.
But in either case, the passage goes into the degrees of punishment and not how there is an
equal form of punishment across the board for everyone.

In my view, which I feel you may feel similarly, there are the sins that particularly do not lead to eternal death but must still be confessed and worked on in our lives, because it is never ok to remain in any sin, and even seemingly benign sins can easily lead us to spiritual death.
I agree that we should confess of sins that do not lead unto death. Going over the speed limit a little (that does not endanger the lives of others) is one such sin that I see as common among many Christians.

Those sins I refer to that do not lead to eternal death are things we do from weakness in the flesh, such as:
  • binge eating,
Agreed.

• staying up too late,
I think if one is worshiping God really late with His people or doing a bible study would not be a sin unto death.
If one is staying up late that does not involve God in any way, then we have a problem.
But yes, we do need rest and sleep to function correctly as God intends. But I don’t think this is a strict rule or anything.

• not studying God's Word or serving God more than we do with the talents we possess,
But if there is absolutely no study of His word on any level, or getting in His Word then I think there is a spiritual problem. God always wants us to get in the Word and or talk about His Word on some level. It’s our spiritual bread. Without that, we cannot function right without going back into the world and being consumed by it instead of God. The Word is a lifeline to our connection to God. So being away from His Word entirely I see as a major sign that a person is abiding in spiritual death and they need to seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ and get back on the straight and narrow. Granted, I do see if a Christian has never read the whole Bible or not reading it as a whole as much as they should as not something that would condemn them. But if they are in the Word all the time, that is showing they are connected to God.

• wasting our time in frivolous things such as too much recreation, or reading fairy tales or fiction that usurps our time,
Agreed to a certain point. But I think it depends on the fiction.
If it is family friendly fiction then I can see this. But if it is with the intent to connect with one’s wife in love, I do not see it as a problem.
It is when a person lets these things consume them or it becomes a good part of their life. I think it depends if they are including the faith in these kinds of activities.

But if they are watching sinful fictional movies like Marvel comics movies, or Star Trek, James Bond that pushes various sins, I take this to mean that the love of the Father is not in them because we are told not to love the things in this world. Is it is a salvation issue? It think there is a good possibility that it may be because when I used to watch these movies I got super excited to see them in the theater and wanted to see them right away. I was hooked. They were like idols of pleasure. The lust of the eyes and the pride of life.

Currently, I only watch Christian movies, family friendly romance films with my wife, and occasional educational nature documentaries. But big budget Hollywood films that push sins is not my cup of tea anymore. Most Hollywood films push some kind of sins or another and any Christian who is sensitive to sin will reject these kinds of movies because of the sins promoted within them. We reap what we sow. If we put junk in, junk is going to come back out. So I think a faithful believer or a Christian on the straight and narrow with the LORD is not going to have any more desire to watch big budget popular Hollywood movies that promote various sins.

But if one were to have a hobby in landscaping their lawn to crazy perfection or creating a mini railroad train set with a village in their basement, I can see this as to being things as “sins not unto death” as long as they were faithful to God in other ways. But if they included Christ in these things, then I would not see it as a problem.

• not being the best good steward of our time, our talents, and our resources,
Agreed.

• watching movies that do not benefit our spiritual growth, and may hinder it, and waste time,
See explanation above.

• not developing the God given talents we possess in a way that benefits others optimally,
As long as we are utilizing 1-2 talents that we are being faithful to so as to be profitable servants. But yes, if there are other talents God has given us and He has talked to our hearts in using those other talents beyond the ones we are using and we do not tap into these other talents, I do see this as a “sin not leading to death,” as well. Not being super fruitful to the max was not enough to condemn a servant in the Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25. We have to simply be faithful over a few things involving our talents.

• not witnessing our faith in Christ do others like we should, or not preparing to do so, while we live on this earth
This one is tricky. I think if we do not witness at all, or if we do not spread the gospel whatsoever I believe this is a violation of Luke 9:62. I believe we would not be fit for the kingdom of God if we did not at least care about the lost souls around us to take any kind of action in some way whether it be online or in person or by handing out tracts or telling others at work about Christ, etcetera. Jesus said if we are ashamed of Him, He will be ashamed of us. So I see no attempt to evangelize others as a serious sin that will cause one to not inherit the Kingdom. But can one get back on the right path? Sure they can. We can confess and forsake such sins and serve our Lord.

But yes. If there were opportunities we missed, I don’t think God may necessarily condemn us. If it was very serious opportunity we missed or we are not doing and God is talking to our heart about it, I think we need to confess it and strive to the best of our strength to make such a thing happen.

• making poor use of our time,
Agreed.

• adding one's own frivolous meanings to God's Word that is of no use, but does not disfigure the Gospel and His teachings.
Agreed.

• a lie done with the intention to preserve peace, or to protect someone, or self, from undue attack by others.
I am of the belief currently that all lying is bad and will lead to the Lake of Fire. This is why I believe that it is possible that Rahab may not have lied, and if she did lie, then I see her as later seeking forgiveness over such a sin. Revelation 21:8 says all liars will have their part in the Lake of Fire. So I see lying as a serious sin that can condemn us. Such sins need to be confessed and forsaken.

But what about the person who wanted to protect Jews from Nazi’s?
Is their lying okay?
Well, I do not think they have to lie to protect their lives if they were hiding Jews in their home.
I believe a person can use clever word play to protect them.
So if Jews were in hidden in your walls, and a Nazi came by looking for them, saying, “Are you hiding any Jews?”

You could say,

”Do you see any Jews around here?”
“I don’t see any Jews here.”
”But feel free to look around if you like.”

Here is the thread discussion (Where I discuss this topic more):

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sins Not Unto Death:

Important Note:
Please keep in mind that I am not trying to trivialize sin. I believe after we are saved by God's grace that we must live holy as a part of God's plan of salvation. For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord. Believers cannot justify sin that leads to spiritual death, condemnation, or hellfire. For I believe we should obey the Lord in all things. For I want to stress that there are grievous sins (or death sins) like murder, hate, adultery, lying, etc. that can lead even a believer to being condemned in the Lake of Fire if such sins are not repented of (i.e. if these sins are not confessed or forsaken).
Anyways,...

Here is my biblical case for sins that do not lead unto death:
#1. 1 John 5:17 mentions the "sin not unto death."​
In context to 1 John 5: This would be talking about confessed grievous sin that one is striving to overcome with the Lord's help (1 John 2:1) (1 John 1:9) (Romans 13:14). In 1 John 5, the brethren are praying for this believer to have victory (life) over their sin as this believer confesses their sin (Note: Grievous sin are sins the Bible warns with punishment by hellfire, or spiritual death, etc.; These would be sins like murder, hate, adultery, theft, idolatry, etc.). If these sins are confessed with the intention of forsaking them (so as to overcome them), the individual is not abiding in spiritual death.​
#2. Punishment of sins in earthly courts vs. a sin that leads to hellfire (Matthew 5:22). Jesus described to us the difference between death-sins vs. non-death sins in Matthew 5:22.​
“But I say to you that everyone who continues to be angry with his brother or harbors malice against him shall be guilty before the court; and whoever speaks [contemptuously and insultingly] to his brother, ‘Raca (You empty-headed idiot)!’ shall be guilty before the supreme court (Sanhedrin); and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of the fiery hell.” (Matthew 5:22) (AMP).​

The words in blue above are “non-death sins” because they are punishment in earthly courts. The words in red above is a “death sin” because it is punishment in hellfire in the afterlife.​
#3. Accidental manslaughter and being able to flee to cities of refuge (Deuteronomy 19:1-13); Contrast this with intentional murder which results in capital punishment (See: Deuteronomy 19:21, Numbers 35:31).​
#4. Adam’s Inherited Sin (Involving babies that die).​
I believe Adam’s Inherited Sin Leads all mankind to physically die. Adam’s sin also opened the door for all men and women to fall into spiritual death and condemnation. But we know according to Scripture and the goodness of God that if a baby dies in this world, they are saved. For King David knew that he would see his unborn child again (2 Samuel 12:23), and Jesus says that children are of the Kingdom of God (Luke 18:16). So how are they saved if Adam brought death? Well, Jesus reversed the curse of spiritual death involving the sin of Adam. The Promised Messiah was the promise of God of salvation to men. So if a baby dies, they will be saved. God is not willing that any should perish. Jesus died for our sins because God loves us. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. But the point here is that if babies are saved, and they are doomed to die physically at some point in their life (either as a baby or an adult) by Adam’s sin, we should realize that the stain of spiritual death from Adam did not take hold onto the lives of babies because of the Messiah. So the sin of Adam passing down spiritual death does not harm a baby. It’s a sin not unto death. Now, the fallen nature was passed down, and thus when that baby grows up, they will sin when they are faced with the knowledge of good and evil. But this is why Jesus came. To set the captives free from sin and death. For Jesus not only came to forgive our sins, but He came to give us a new heart, and new desires to live a new life in Him. A life that is not enslaved to grievous sin that brings spiritual death. Side Note: Now, did spiritual death take hold upon Adam? I believe it did because God said that he would die in the day he would eat of the tree (he was commanded to not eat). Did Adam drop dead physically when he ate of the wrong tree? Surely not. So this means Adam died spiritually. Also, I believe the promise of the Messiah Jesus reversed the curse of Adam. For Jesus took on our sins in the Garden and died in our place for our sins. This was spiritual. So if Jesus never died for our sins, all of mankind would be doomed spiritually (including babies that die). Jesus is the Savior. Jesus deserves all the glory.​

The forgiveness of sins are totally up to Jesus .... we do not know a persons heart .... only Jesus does. We do not know who the Lord has, or who will be forgiven (past, present, future) and why we keep making statements in that regard is beyond me.

There are two deaths .... and we are not privy to who will escape or suffer the 2nd one.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The forgiveness of sins are totally up to Jesus .... we do not know a persons heart .... only Jesus does. We do not know who the Lord has, or who will be forgiven (past, present, future) and why we keep making statements in that regard is beyond me.

There are two deaths .... and we are not privy to who will escape or suffer the 2nd one.
His Word clearly tells us who will be forgiven (saved) or not. Future sin being forgiven us from our present perspective is an illusion or false hope. We have to confess and forsake sin to have mercy (See Proverbs 28:13). Salvation is conditional. Just look at the majority of churches in Revelation chapters 2 and 3. Most of them were not doing well and they were dead spiritually. Jesus said narrow is the way that leads unto life and FEW be there that find it (Matthew 7:14). The thing is that the parallel Scripture for Matthew 7:14 is Luke 13:22-30. In this passage, Jesus says of these types who are of the many,

“Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.” (Luke 13:26-27).

Apparently forgiveness was not just given to these types of believers automatically. So the obvious conclusion from this is that these believers who did not make it were justifying sin in some way. They believed future sin was forgiven them and therefore they treated God’s grace as a license for immortality on some level (See Jude 1:4).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I now believe in water baptism as a necessity of the faith. Christians must be water baptized in this life.
I disagree. I used to think this was the case, but keep in mind the baptism that saves is into Christ (Galatians 3:27), not water baptism.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. I used to think this was the case, but keep in mind the baptism that saves is into Christ (Galatians 3:27), not water baptism.
I don’t believe water baptism saves but it is merely a requirement as a part of the Sanctification Process.

The baptisms done by God is what saves.

See my doctrine of baptisms thread here:

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All glory to the Lord Jesus Christ for anything He has shared with me.

God did reveal another loose passage to me on this topic or study recently. It is Luke 12:47-48.

Luke 12:47-48
47 ”And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself,​
neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.​
48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten​
with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required:​
and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.”​
If they did not know his will and did things WORTHY OF STRIPES.
So this to me is suggesting or implying that there may be sins that are not worthy of stripes.
But in either case, the passage goes into the degrees of punishment and not how there is an
equal form of punishment across the board for everyone.

I agree that we should confess of sins that do not lead unto death. Going over the speed limit a little (that does not endanger the lives of others) is one such sin that I see as common among many Christians.

Agreed.

Good Scripture and point made.

I think if one is worshiping God really late with His people or doing a bible study would not be a sin unto death.
If one is staying up late that does not involve God in any way, then we have a problem.
But yes, we do need rest and sleep to function correctly as God intends. But I don’t think this is a strict rule or anything.

But if there is absolutely no study of His word on any level, or getting in His Word then I think there is a spiritual problem. God always wants us to get in the Word and or talk about His Word on some level. It’s our spiritual bread. Without that, we cannot function right without going back into the world and being consumed by it instead of God. The Word is a lifeline to our connection to God. So being away from His Word entirely I see as a major sign that a person is abiding in spiritual death and they need to seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ and get back on the straight and narrow. Granted, I do see if a Christian has never read the whole Bible or not reading it as a whole as much as they should as not something that would condemn them. But if they are in the Word all the time, that is showing they are connected to God.

Agreed to a certain point. But I think it depends on the fiction.
If it is family friendly fiction then I can see this. But if it is with the intent to connect with one’s wife in love, I do not see it as a problem.
It is when a person lets these things consume them or it becomes a good part of their life. I think it depends if they are including the faith in these kinds of activities.

But if they are watching sinful fictional movies like Marvel comics movies, or Star Trek, James Bond that pushes various sins, I take this to mean that the love of the Father is not in them because we are told not to love the things in this world. Is it is a salvation issue? It think there is a good possibility that it may be because when I used to watch these movies I got super excited to see them in the theater and wanted to see them right away. I was hooked. They were like idols of pleasure. The lust of the eyes and the pride of life.

Currently, I only watch Christian movies, family friendly romance films with my wife, and occasional educational nature documentaries. But big budget Hollywood films that push sins is not my cup of tea anymore. Most Hollywood films push some kind of sins or another and any Christian who is sensitive to sin will reject these kinds of movies because of the sins promoted within them. We reap what we sow. If we put junk in, junk is going to come back out. So I think a faithful believer or a Christian on the straight and narrow with the LORD is not going to have any more desire to watch big budget popular Hollywood movies that promote various sins.

But if one were to have a hobby in landscaping their lawn to crazy perfection or creating a mini railroad train set with a village in their basement, I can see this as to being things as “sins not unto death” as long as they were faithful to God in other ways. But if they included Christ in these things, then I would not see it as a problem.

Agreed.

See explanation above.

As long as we are utilizing 1-2 talents that we are being faithful to so as to be profitable servants. But yes, if there are other talents God has given us and He has talked to our hearts in using those other talents beyond the ones we are using and we do not tap into these other talents, I do see this as a “sin not leading to death,” as well. Not being super fruitful to the max was not enough to condemn a servant in the Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25. We have to simply be faithful over a few things involving our talents.

This one is tricky. I think if we do not witness at all, or if we do not spread the gospel whatsoever I believe this is a violation of Luke 9:62. I believe we would not be fit for the kingdom of God if we did not at least care about the lost souls around us to take any kind of action in some way whether it be online or in person or by handing out tracts or telling others at work about Christ, etcetera. Jesus said if we are ashamed of Him, He will be ashamed of us. So I see no attempt to evangelize others as a serious sin that will cause one to not inherit the Kingdom. But can one get back on the right path? Sure they can. We can confess and forsake such sins and serve our Lord.

But yes. If there were opportunities we missed, I don’t think God may necessarily condemn us. If it was very serious opportunity we missed or we are not doing and God is talking to our heart about it, I think we need to confess it and strive to the best of our strength to make such a thing happen.

Agreed.

Agreed.

I am of the belief currently that all lying is bad and will lead to the Lake of Fire. This is why I believe that it is possible that Rahab may not have lied, and if she did lie, then I see her as later seeking forgiveness over such a sin. Revelation 21:8 says all liars will have their part in the Lake of Fire. So I see lying as a serious sin that can condemn us. Such sins need to be confessed and forsaken.

But what about the person who wanted to protect Jews from Nazi’s?
Is their lying okay?
Well, I do not think they have to lie to protect their lives if they were hiding Jews in their home.
I believe a person can use clever word play to protect them.
So if Jews were in hidden in your walls, and a Nazi came by looking for them, saying, “Are you hiding any Jews?”

You could say,

”Do you see any Jews around here?”
“I don’t see any Jews here.”
”But feel free to look around if you like.”

Here is the thread discussion (Where I discuss this topic more):

I have no disagreement with you here, and it is difficult to be dogmatic about the details, but God does look at our intentions of the heart. As well, God does understand the weaknesses we experience in the flesh. God is merciful and judges our actions in righteousness.

Regarding "lying," what came to my mind, in particular, was the following Scripture:

Genesis 20:1-6 (WEB)
1 Abraham traveled from there toward the land of the South, and lived between Kadesh and Shur. He lived as a foreigner in Gerar. 2 Abraham said about Sarah his wife, “She is my sister.” Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah. 3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream of the night, and said to him, “Behold, you are a dead man, because of the woman whom you have taken; for she is a man’s wife.”
4 Now Abimelech had not come near her. He said, “Lord, will you kill even a righteous nation? 5 Didn’t he tell me, ‘She is my sister’? She, even she herself, said, ‘He is my brother.’ I have done this in the integrity of my heart and the innocence of my hands.”
6 God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know that in the integrity of your heart you have done this, and I also withheld you from sinning against me. Therefore I didn’t allow you to touch her.

Genesis 20:8-14 (WEB)
8 Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told all these things in their ear. The men were very scared. 9 Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said to him, “What have you done to us? How have I sinned against you, that you have brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? You have done deeds to me that ought not to be done!” 10 Abimelech said to Abraham, “What did you see, that you have done this thing?”
11 Abraham said, “Because I thought, ‘Surely the fear of God is not in this place. They will kill me for my wife’s sake.’ 12 Besides, she is indeed my sister, the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife. 13 When God caused me to wander from my father’s house, I said to her, ‘This is your kindness which you shall show to me. Everywhere that we go, say of me, “He is my brother.”’”
14 Abimelech took sheep and cattle, male servants and female servants, and gave them to Abraham, and restored Sarah, his wife, to him.

You could say back to me that Abraham did not actually lie, since Sarah could be called his "sister" in a roundabout way, actually being cousins. But if that is how you define, not lying, then anyone could use such trickery and say they are not lying. But, in actuality, this is lying.

Abraham's lie was premeditated, but with good intentions mainly for himself only. However, Abraham risked Sarah's own moral uprightness, since she was married, by this lie, and also, his lie did not consider that Abimelech and all his people, whom God could have cursed because of his lie. Nevertheless, God did not punish Abraham, but instead blessed him.

Yes, Rahab, the prostitute, in "Joshua 2:1-14," protected the two Israeli spies and lied about their whereabouts, but she did so for protection, and because she believed that the Israelites had the true God on their side, and believed in the God of the Israelites. The Book of Hebrews does not condemn Rahab for lying, but commends her faith (Hebrews 11:31).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Regarding "lying," what came to my mind, in particular, was the following Scripture:

Genesis 20:1-6 (WEB)
1 Abraham traveled from there toward the land of the South, and lived between Kadesh and Shur. He lived as a foreigner in Gerar. 2 Abraham said about Sarah his wife, “She is my sister.” Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah. 3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream of the night, and said to him, “Behold, you are a dead man, because of the woman whom you have taken; for she is a man’s wife.”
4 Now Abimelech had not come near her. He said, “Lord, will you kill even a righteous nation? 5 Didn’t he tell me, ‘She is my sister’? She, even she herself, said, ‘He is my brother.’ I have done this in the integrity of my heart and the innocence of my hands.”
6 God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know that in the integrity of your heart you have done this, and I also withheld you from sinning against me. Therefore I didn’t allow you to touch her.

Genesis 20:8-14 (WEB)
8 Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told all these things in their ear. The men were very scared. 9 Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said to him, “What have you done to us? How have I sinned against you, that you have brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? You have done deeds to me that ought not to be done!” 10 Abimelech said to Abraham, “What did you see, that you have done this thing?”
11 Abraham said, “Because I thought, ‘Surely the fear of God is not in this place. They will kill me for my wife’s sake.’ 12 Besides, she is indeed my sister, the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife. 13 When God caused me to wander from my father’s house, I said to her, ‘This is your kindness which you shall show to me. Everywhere that we go, say of me, “He is my brother.”’”
14 Abimelech took sheep and cattle, male servants and female servants, and gave them to Abraham, and restored Sarah, his wife, to him.

You could say back to me that Abraham did not actually lie, since Sarah could be called his "sister" in a roundabout way, actually being cousins. But if that is how you define, not lying, then anyone could use such trickery and say they are not lying. But, in actuality, this is lying.

Abraham's lie was premeditated, but with good intentions mainly for himself only. However, Abraham risked Sarah's own moral uprightness, since she was married, by this lie, and also, his lie did not consider that Abimelech and all his people, whom God could have cursed because of his lie. Nevertheless, God did not punish Abraham, but instead blessed him.
The cat was out of the bag in Genesis 20:12. Abraham was telling the truth in Genesis 20:12. Sarai is indeed Abraham’s half sister seeing they shared the same father and not the same mother (Just as Abraham said). Yes, I am aware of Genesis 11:31 says that Sarai was the daughter in law of Terah (Abraham’s father). But it is not a contradiction to say that Sarai is both the daughter in law of Terah, and also his daughter (biologically speaking). Sarai is a daughter in law of Terah through the marriage of his son Abram with each of them having different mothers. By law, she would be a daughter in law to Terah and yet she could also be his biological father, as well. So no. Abram was not lying.

Yes, Rahab, the prostitute, in "Joshua 2:1-14," protected the two Israeli spies and lied about their whereabouts, but she did so for protection, and because she believed that the Israelites had the true God on their side, and believed in the God of the Israelites. The Book of Hebrews does not condemn Rahab for lying, but commends her faith (Hebrews 11:31).
I provide good answers in this thread here:

May God bless you.

Upvote 0