“It is good to give thanks to the Lord
And to sing praises to Your name, Most High;
To declare Your goodness in the morning
And Your faithfulness by night,
With the ten-stringed lute and with the harp,
With resounding music on the lyre.
For You, Lord, have made me joyful by what You have done,
I will sing for joy over the works of Your hands.”

When I was 61 years old, and my voice had seen better days, the Lord Jesus gave me the gift of writing songs. Now I had only ever once put a melody to one of my poems and that was a very long time ago, so this was something I had never done before, and I did not think I would ever be writing songs, because I felt that was not my gift. But the Lord gave me the gift despite my thinking and reasoning in the matter. And I accepted it from him.

But since I had not done this before, I had a lot to learn. Now I will say that I did study music in college (1968-72), but that was a very long time ago. But it gave me enough of a foundation to get started. But then I had to learn how to record the songs, and then how to share them publicly, and it was definitely a process of many steps along the way. There is a lot more to writing a song than probably most people imagine. But my family helped!

Anyway, the Lord would give me a tune and then he would give me the words to go with the tune, and then I would record it and then I began posting the songs on YouTube and then on Vimeo. Now the early recordings were definitely very raw, as I was learning how to do this, but I was learning, and the Lord was encouraging me, and as he gave me the songs I put them on the internet to share with others.

For this is what the Scriptures teach us to do, perhaps not to this extent, but we are to speak “to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your hearts to the Lord” (Ephesians 5:19 NASB). And: “Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God” (Colossians 3:16).

Now these do not have to be professional sounding songs by the world’s standards, and they are not to be for entertainment purposes. And they may be sung by people who are not singers or who have old voices, but that’s okay. This is not about how it sounds, but it is about singing praises to the Lord, and this is about encouraging and exhorting one another in our walks of faith and obedience. So, listen to the heart of the song, not the sound.

Video Talk and Song

A Believer’s Prayer

An Original Work / July 31, 2012

With my whole heart, Lord, I pray
To be Yours, and Yours always.
Lead me in Your truth today.
May I love You, and obey.
Lead me in Your righteousness.
When I sin, may I confess;
Bow before You when I pray;
Live for You and You always.

Love You, Jesus, You’re my friend.
Life with You will never end.
You are with me through each day,
Giving love and peace always.
You will ne’er abandon me.
From my sin You set me free.
You died on that cruel tree,
So I’d live eternally.

Soon You’re coming back for me;
From this world to set me free;
Live with You eternally.
Oh, what joy that brings to me.
I will walk with You in white;
A pure bride, I’ve been made right
By the blood of Jesus Christ;
Pardoned by His sacrifice.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
And I wholly agree with you;
singing to God and Jesus is a very special thing indeed!
For myself I have always enjoyed singing the songs and hymns that praise God, and when I sing them with my whole heart, I do so looking up to the inside peak of the open rafters of our church that are high above the altar.
I think that it's a very special thing to sing to God, and praise Him with my whole heart. So I put all of "me" into what I sing, and the expression comes straight from my heart.

I think you do that too, and it's lovely to hear. Thank you for sharing your gift with us, and with God!

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing your gifts and God-given talents with us today.:clap::clap:
Thank you and you are welcome. All glory to God. I appreciate you watching and listening.

Upvote 0