Since 1914, why have morals and values been on a steady decline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Watson-Wentworth

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2019
l
✟24,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I want you all to read a few pieces that I had read and that is really worrisome to know and even more worrisome once I realized that it is true and that people are "losing their marbles" and not adhering to morals and tradition. It's like we're becoming less and less American by the day and we're forgetting what made us American to begin with because we're losing our morals and values. It's really a scary thought. I'd like you all to read these pieces and tell me why this has happened. Is there a way to recover or are we just on a steady decline into a pit where we still have a land named America but lose our American culture? There is some politics involved, but this topic question is not about politics, it's about morals and ethics. Thank you.

When Morals Declined Dramatically — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

https://lifewayresearch.com/2017/05...-moral-decline-cant-agree-on-right-and-wrong/

100 Facts About The Moral Collapse Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe – The Truth

America is in Moral Decline... But Why?

http://www.iosrjournals.org/iosr-jhss/papers/Vol19-issue6/Version-1/G019614044.pdf

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,655.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want you all to read a few pieces that I had read and that is really worrisome to know and even more worrisome once I realized that it is true and that people are "losing their marbles" and not adhering to morals and tradition. It's like we're becoming less and less American by the day and we're forgetting what made us American to begin with because we're losing our morals and values. It's really a scary thought. I'd like you all to read these pieces and tell me why this has happened. Is there a way to recover or are we just on a steady decline into a pit where we still have a land named America but lose our American culture? There is some politics involved, but this topic question is not about politics, it's about morals and ethics. Thank you.

When Morals Declined Dramatically — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

https://lifewayresearch.com/2017/05...-moral-decline-cant-agree-on-right-and-wrong/

100 Facts About The Moral Collapse Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe – The Truth

America is in Moral Decline... But Why?

http://www.iosrjournals.org/iosr-jhss/papers/Vol19-issue6/Version-1/G019614044.pdf

Well, the goal of morals is not to be "American", but to be a good person. If you stick morality and nationalism (world) together, you will not get anything good of it.

Americans are not being less and less Americans, but less and less traditional, Christian and moral. It applies to the western EU, too.

My theory is that they have never been better, inside. The mass of people, mainstream, only looked better, because there were no media, sexual revolution, feminism, capitalism etc that made the individual freedom to be the highest value and morality and order to be a less value.
Mainstream accepted it and its spread to all areas of the planet through globalization. To some areas more, to some areas less. You can see that in Asia or in a less developed countries, the situation is different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yennora

2022 UPDATE: I regret any UNBIBLICAL posts I made.
Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟59,103.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for sharing the link about the 100 facts of the moral collapse of America. I think this will be very useful to my philosophy on morality. And I agree with you in regards to the decline. But I have faith it will all end soon. As in Romans 5:20

Look at it from the side that, people are now waking up. Look at someone like Dr. Jordan Peterson for example, he is someone who wouldn't exist the way he does if morality was not on the decline. A lot of intellectuals and great mentalities are coming to light recently.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Throughout history, morality levels rose & fell.

Between 1904-1906, we had the Welsh & Azusa Street Revivals, which had the side effect of elevating morals, generally. [Edit: the Azusa Street Revival was said to last until 1909.]

From The Welsh Revival & Revival Now: “Bend the Church & Save the World”,

Some of the results on society were:
  • Many of the pubs were empty and liquor sales greatly reduced.
  • Dance halls, theaters, and football (soccer) matches saw a dramatic decline in attendance as young people became more interested in seeking God’s presence than other pursuits.
  • The courts and jails were emptied and policemen found themselves with little to do.
  • Family feuds where healed and denominational divisions were replaced by unity.
  • Converted coal miners became gentlemen. As a result, the “pit-ponies” in the mines no longer know how to respond, since they were used to the swearing and fierce anger of the miners.
1914 would be about 5-10 years later, exhibiting a general decline from the said Revival.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Most of the stuff presented at the articles is pretty laughable though.

"According to a recent Pew Research Center survey, 60 percent of all Americans believe that “humans and other living things have evolved over time”, while only 33 percent of respondents rejected this statement."

makes it sound like believing scientific evidence is a sign or moral decay.

Some tidbit about oral sex being sign of eroded morality. Really ?

I doubt the humans or their morality has changed that much. What can be said is that most people have more ways of expressing themselves than they ever had before.

Like marriages that before were economically necessary for surving whatever they were happy or not. Now people can quit unsatisfactory or abusive marriages because they have other options.

It is not a moral decision for most of the people. It never was.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In 1914 women couldn’t vote and blacks were being lynched in the south. Child labor was common. Elderly people died on the streets because we had no social security. I think we’re far more moral now.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Both Jesus and Paul prophesied that there will be a general falling away as the time for the Second Coming of Christ approaches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Both Jesus and Paul prophesied that there will be a general falling away as the time for the Second Coming of Christ approaches.

Since contemporary people especially the older folk always feel there is general falling away this is a quite safe prophecy to make since it seems to be always happening.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I didn't read finely through all the links, but there seems to be a combination of sensationalism and hypocrisy: find a story about a crazy dude throwing his baby in the freezer, as if that's somehow the new normal. Act as if STDs is an issue of morality while ignoring that there are still people who can recall when black people couldn't even drink out of the same fountain as whites. World poverty is steadily declining, but OH NO! Someone allowed two guys to get married!

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Since contemporary people especially the older folk always feel there is general falling away this is a quite safe prophecy to make since it seems to be always happening.
I'm just going on the literal text of the Bible. If that's what Jesus and Paul said about the last days, then that is good enough for me.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If that's what Jesus and Paul said about the last days, then that is good enough for me.

Well considering we have been on "last days" for the last 2000 years that is pretty safe position to hold.

Upvote 0

Yennora

2022 UPDATE: I regret any UNBIBLICAL posts I made.
Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟59,103.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well considering we have been on "last days" for the last 2000 years that is pretty safe position to hold.

Militant atheism was predicted in the bible by Paul as a sign of end times. Read 2 Thessalonians 2. (first 4 verses)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, in the last 40 years there has been a major invasion of the church by the occult, paganism, false prophecy, false teaching, heresies, as direct fulfillment of Jesus' and Paul's prophecies. It is only in the last 20 years that high level politicians have been publicly speaking about the need for a world government to bring about world peace, and a merger of all religions into one to solve the denominational divisions. Also, the modern Charismatic movement has grown remarkably, but in the area of pagan mind-control such as positive thinking, confession, prosperity and guaranteed healing, and occult kundalini manifestations. These non-Christian Charismatic cults have attracted millions of followers world-wide and have deceived them into thinking they are true believers, when the false teachers never preach or teach the foundations of the gospel. They are saying "Here is Christ" when it is another Christ that they are proclaiming and not the Christ of the Bible. This is what the Scripture says, that people will say in the last days, "Here is Christ" or "There is Christ", but not to believe them. This type of teaching has grown in the last 30 years to epidemic proportions.

Christian psychology, including hypnotherapy, yoga, transcendental meditation and other New Age teaching has pervaded the traditional churches that is it difficult to find any that don't have that teaching somewhere in their programmes.

Up until 1949, no one would have believed that Israel would ever be a nation again, and yet it became one, and that is a clear signal that we are edging a lot closer to the Second Coming of Christ.

There is a big move in the world toward peace and prosperity, and the Scripture says that when there is peace, prosperity, and people are going about their normal lives, working, getting married, having children, paying off their mortgages, then will the Lord come like a thief in the night taking them all unawares. One day everything will be normal and the next the news will be saying about millions of people going missing. When that happens, it will be too late for those who are left.

The scary thing for those who are not converted to Christ is that it could happen tomorrow. Who knows?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,195.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I want you all to read a few pieces that I had read and that is really worrisome to know and even more worrisome once I realized that it is true and that people are "losing their marbles" and not adhering to morals and tradition.

First problem here is confusing morals and tradition. The two have little to do with each other.

But to be clear, are you saying racial segregation is more moral than what we have today? Just trying to figure out what it is everyone else is missing.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is only in the last 20 years that high level politicians have been publicly speaking about the need for a world government to bring about world peace, and a merger of all religions into one to solve the denominational divisions

Yeah right. How about linking any politician who seriously said we should "merge all religions"

There is actually a term for this

Syncretism - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,195.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In 1914 women couldn’t vote and blacks were being lynched in the south. Child labor was common. Elderly people died on the streets because we had no social security. I think we’re far more moral now.
Forget about all those. You're ignoring the real issue. Some people were actually Irish.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.