bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟827,782.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So eating a shrimps cocktail or a pork chop is (or was at some point) immoral?
What about collecting firewood on the wrong day of the week? According to a chapter in Numbers, God at some point regarded this as a major offense worthy of immediate death by stoning.
The Jews were to be set apart from the Gentiles and thus had a lot of “laws” that set them apart. The food laws were a buffer between them and the gentiles and caused the Gentiles not to associate with the Jews. The offence is against God and not other people so in that respect it is major. There is also a lot of symbolic acts the Jews did that the reality of Christ going to the cross replaced. Even the setting of the Jews apart from all other people is symbolic of how the believers today are set apart, but only spiritually.
In case the items mentioned above can be waved away on account of being "OC" (which still doesn't explain how they qualified as sins back then, if we follow your definition), what of such "sins" as sharing a bed with your spouse before you get officially married? How is this unloving, and how does it hurt the participants or others in the long run?
Or what about masturbation? It's also something that many Christians seem to regard as a clear no-no - where's the damage? (And in case you equate this with adultery: has in never occurred to you that there might be people who think of their beloved spouses while doing this?)
I think you might get mixed reviews from psychologist on premarital sex and to say it always does more good than harm is not going to hold up.

Masturbation is not outlawed in scripture per say.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've a feeling that you read "Crowley," read the next line, then proceeded to utterly ignore the remainder of the post.

That's why we don't "walk by feelings," because they're not likely to be accurate. And there's nothing in the rest of your post that rejects what I said in any way; even though it "feels good."

Upvote 0

Mess

Jun 12, 2010
✟16,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
So eating a shrimps cocktail or a pork chop is (or was at some point) immoral?
What about collecting firewood on the wrong day of the week? According to a chapter in Numbers, God at some point regarded this as a major offense worthy of immediate death by stoning.

<snip>
Shrimps, and pork have all to do with health. Science has proven the validity of those laws. Pork for example has a tendency to hold parasites you can't see with the naked eye, the kind of parasite that will kill you in days, while Shrimp doesn't only go bad easily, but also has it's function in purifying water.

Upvote 0

sidhe

Seemly Unseelie
Sep 27, 2004
Couldharbour
✟27,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's why we don't "walk by feelings," because they're not likely to be accurate. And there's nothing in the rest of your post that rejects what I said in any way; even though it "feels good."

Actually, it does. Very much so.

Telling someone (or being told) not to stick their hand in a fire because it'll burn isn't restriction, it's education.

Telling someone (or being told) that trying to make a living as an artist is foolish and they (or you) should be practical and get a real job, and just do art as a hobby, however much they (or you) love it? That's restriction.

Stopping someone from mugging an old lady? Not restriction, because the mugger is SERIOUSLY restricting the old lady's right to pursue her True Will.

Forbidding a relationship due to superficialities such as race or gender? That's restriction.

Not my fault you can't read between the lines concerning harmonious orbits and free will.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This model exists in Buddhism as well. There, it is called "returning to the market place", as in the Japanese ox-herding pictures. These pictures show how a man tames an ox, and eventually gains enlightenment. But it doesn't culminate there - instead, the man returns to the aforementioned market place.

Time and space collapse and a dead tree is also a sapling in bloom ("the beauty is invisible"). No longer obliged to follow the ideas (rules) of others, you become autonome, complete.

You really fail to see this in the Gospel? WOW. You've never had the Gospel presented to you.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
You really fail to see this in the Gospel? WOW. You've never had the Gospel presented to you.
Indulge me. Just don't feel disappointed if what you've read into the text doesn't strike me as very plausible. Has it never occurred to you that what you take out of that may be what you put into it?

I mean, hey, I've once experienced kensho while listening to a Kylie song - and I don't believe for a single second that Kylie put that meaning in there.

Upvote 0

sidhe

Seemly Unseelie
Sep 27, 2004
Couldharbour
✟27,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
d00dette, I read between the lines WAY better than your caustic accusations and/or presumptions. You just miss the mark. My post stands, unchallenged, w/o being impinged upon by your responses in any way.

...oooookay.

Let me show you how this has kinda played out from what I can tell.

Me: *explanation of the Thelemic view of sin*

You: *standard "Crowley said you can do whatever you want!" kneejerk reaction*

Me, J_t_B, and Eudaimonist: *brief discussion of how you're wrong, based on previous discussions of Thelema*

You: *continued insistence that Thelema says you can do whatever you want*

Me: *more detailed explanation of what is meant by "restriction," demonstrating that you cannot actually do whatever you want, with (for me) mild snark*

You: *minor temper tantrum*

So, here we go, one more time.

When someone who talks about Crowley (and not in terms of "d00d he wuz cool!," but "He had a philosophical point") says "do what thou will," the implication is that "will" means "one's true will." The "true will" is the ultimate and highest purpose of the individual. So, that's P1. Yes, I'll set this up as a series of premises.

P1: "Do what thou wilt be the whole of the law" is a statement that the governing code of each individual is to achieve their highest potential.

Now, if that's the governing code of each individual, that means that every person has that same right (cf. Liber OZ). Therefore, to behave in a way which impedes an individual from achieving their highest potential is a violation of their basic right as a reflection of divinity. For some, honestly, their highest potential might be to be a thief or a murderer. And, well, that's okay. They provide resistance which makes others stronger. Also, the highest potential of some people is going to involve being police officers, district attorneys, or righteous vigilantes, so the system is self-balancing. That's perfectly fine, because everyone involved is moving according to their highest purpose.

P2: It is the fundamental right of every individual to do their own true will.

So, if the "word of sin is restriction," what does that mean? Preventing someone from following any flight of fancy that they want is bad? Clearly, no - "restriction" would involve straying from your highest purpose in any way. If you've ever read Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, Ellsworth Toohey would be a great example of a Thelemic sinner. His life revolves around controlling others and elevating mediocrity as a virtue, rather than using his own gifts to pursue a heroic end. He acts from jealousy, not from love. And as the second law of Thelema is that "love is the law, love under will," love must be the influence upon our highest goals, while simultaneously being disciplined and not dependent on romanticized ideas.

P3: An action motivated by real love is one which is in accordance with true will.

P4: Not every action is motivated primarily by real love.

And what would real love be? Similar to the concept of agape, or as I prefer the Hebrew term chesed - love that is without illusions or unnecessary passion. So, therefore, given P1, P2, P3, and P4...

.'. "The word of sin is restriction" does not mean "no one can say 'no' to you."

From what I can tell, you come into every discussion with your own conceptions of what is going to be said, and read those preconceptions into every statement. Having read your threads, they read like one-sided discussions. You don't engage in dialogue, you talk at other people, don't respond to questions, and have tantrums if someone is not convinced by your arguments or points out inconsistencies in your statement. Honestly, in this talk we've had, I've provided an explanation for my side. Your responses have boiled down to "No, I'm right! You're not!"

You're up for the PlonkFile, currently. I haven't put the Soliloquy of Plonking in a thread in a while, so by all means continue your fingers-in-the ears LALALA technique of monologue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sidhe

Seemly Unseelie
Sep 27, 2004
Couldharbour
✟27,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Indulge me. Just don't feel disappointed if what you've read into the text doesn't strike me as very plausible. Has it never occurred to you that what you take out of that may be what you put into it?

I mean, hey, I've once experienced kensho while listening to a Kylie song - and I don't believe for a single second that Kylie put that meaning in there.

Do not underestimate Kylie!

...okay, mainly because that would be hard to do. :)

Still fun to sing the Blue Monday mix of "Can't Get You Out of My Head."

Upvote 0

sidhe

Seemly Unseelie
Sep 27, 2004
Couldharbour
✟27,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
...of course, the grand irony is that while I'm influenced by Crowley, I really find Meadb in the Tain to be a far more moral character. She has principles, she's made an oath, and she's going to follow them regardless of the consequences. So, at the end, when everyone's dead (including her husband and her lover), but she's made her point and is quite content with that....she's kinda pwnd everyone, IMHO.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I need to edit this post. sidhe's posting the 3 words together "word of sin" got me so focused on what that might be supposed to mean that I forgot the OP and even title of the thread. I know I know, big surprise ^_^

I have absolutely no idea why those 3 words would ever be grouped together like that, nor does it seem sidhe really addressed the thread topic of where evil comes from. To me it seems like she focused on one microcosm of what sin might be, and it would be unreasonable to think otherwise, especially since she didn't say she was explaining her belief of where all evil in the world comes from.

P1: "Do what thou wilt be the whole of the law" is a statement that the governing code of each individual

Per the book of Judges SIN constitutes doing what is right in your own eyes, with some HORRIBLE examples of that. AKA Independence from G-d. I don't pretend to know anything about your "thelemic concept of sin," but everything you're posting here falls well within the parameters I already posted, referring to the English name of an evil spirit, "defender of man." His short-term goals can seem good, but I've seen his mid-range goals and it ain't pretty. I won't presume to speak to the long term end ...

a violation of their basic right as a reflection of divinity.

Honestly, none of us inherently have the ability to reflect the Divine, much less any such right. Your concept here seems to be very basic to whatever it is you mean by the word "sin" though.

For some, honestly, their highest potential might be to be a thief. And, well, that's okay. They provide resistance which makes others stronger.

I've ministered at length to a thief, who then stole from me. I can assure you of 3 things: there is nothing ok about that, he made no one stronger, and his potential is FAR above that! His highest potential I couldn't talk about, but his profession pays very well and he's quite skilled.

I posit that life is more complex than the picture you're painting.

Also, the highest potential of some people is going to involve being police officers, district attorneys, or righteous vigilantes, so the system is self-balancing. That's perfectly fine, because everyone involved is moving according to their highest purpose.

So you're an anarchist? Or rather, an anarchist w/ some sort of faith that things will balance each other out via some power higher than humans.

P2: It is the fundamental right of every individual to do their own true will.

To which I counter: G-d gives us our every breath, and doesn't even promise us tomorrow. You sound very American with your preoccupation re: your own rights and will, you'd do very well in the US Churches! :D

The Gospel is a stark contrast.

"The word of sin is restriction" does not mean "no one can say 'no' to you."

From what I can tell, you come into every discussion with your own conceptions

Everyone perceives through the filter of their own experience. That first line is exactly what I was trying to determine, thank you for trying to flesh out what you meant. While I'm sure it was obvious to you, there are several layers of language barrier here. We are very much separated by a common language, and the workings of your belief system and anything similar is foreign to me.

How you could possibly come away with the idea I expect anyone to be persuaded by anything I might post in a chat room escapes me, and your reference to "tantrum" is amusing, in a Bugs Bunny characterization sort of way. If it's based on a crystal ball, it needs it's 3,000 mile oil change, or something :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That's what makes Scripture different! It's the only place I know where you need to arrive empty, if you want to come away with anything worthwhile.

The best way of indulging you that I can think of, so far, is the NT's teaching on slavery.

I'll let you chew on that idea for a while. This is one of those things I'm sure I could add to, one short but very significant bit at a time, for months. (Or years?) This idea here deserves it's own thread! I'd be curious how various systems portray this idea, and like so many things I bet understanding a broader array of them would yield a better picture of the concept itself. Or at least a deeper appreciation. I find it ironic and humorous that in many things the Bible itself will show the same underlying principle in contrasting ways, and it's what so many argue about ^_^ Whereas the obvious intention is for us to gain each other's perspective

Upvote 0