May 23, 2004
East Kootenay, BC
✟7,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings,

I am a former Orthodox and currently Catholic Christian. I am slightly disillusioned with the Catholic Church currently, although I still attend Mass most weekends. My inability to refrain from certain sins is part of the problem, to be sure. But so is the whole legalistic process of confession and absolution. I am discouraged as I am not able to commune most weekends because of sins that are considered grave, and feel kind of ridiculous always confessing the same sins. Yes, I am a weak and foolish sinner. I already know that. But this cycle of sinning, repenting, and repeating has me very discouraged. I have a family background of addiction and anxiety/depression issues. Staying sin-free is just too hard for me, it seems, and I fall into certain sins again and again. And so now I feel somewhat estranged from the Christ and the Church because I feel I have to earn God's love - or at least the right to commune with our Lord. I am not worthy, and having the Body and Blood withheld from me fills me with a constant sense of unworthiness and guilt.

Does anyone else get in this kind of funk? Any words of encouragement or suggestions? I feel I am on the fence with Catholicism lately mostly because of this. In Orthodoxy, I had a similar problem, but where I converted it was rather normal to commune only occasionally, when one had thoroughly prepared themselves. But this varied from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. At Mass, everyone communes weekly, it seems, and this exacerbates my feelings of guilt and unworthiness.

Discouraged... Helpful, edifying encouragements or suggestions appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Steve

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,066.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Steve - have you really discussed your problem and the family history of addiction etc with your priest ?

He is really the best person to advise you about this - not a crowd of well meaning folk on the internet.

For you , having the same Confessor each time will ensure that the advice you are given is consistent - and for you I suspect this is important

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I understand the feeling. I too have a sin that I habitually struggle with. I have also felt what you are feeling when it comes to the legalistic theme. I no longer feel this way and look on Confession with a new light though. I can't really put it into words, but I recommend speaking with your priest openly about this. He will be able to help you more than we ever could. Just be open with him, tell him what you are feeling, and don't leave anything out.

Confession, is truly a blessing. I know that I always feel better when I do it, compared to when I don't. I probably go more than most people, roughly once a week. It is a beautiful thing. Christ will forgive as many times as we ask. Just seek him! Hope this helps!

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

stevenhorr

May 23, 2004
East Kootenay, BC
✟7,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I do have one confessor, and he is a wonderful priest. He knows my struggles, but what can he do, really, aside from performing absolution? I used to find confession liberating, too. It started to feel repetitive and humiliating, even though my confessor is gracious and kind. So I haven't confessed for some time now.

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for your thoughtful replies. I do have one confessor, and he is a wonderful priest. He knows my struggles, but what can he do, really, aside from performing absolution? I used to find confession liberating, too. It started to feel repetitive and humiliating, even though my confessor is gracious and kind. So I haven't confessed for some time now.

Bring him your concerns. He can help you through them.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,066.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Go to him - tell him how you feel
It started to feel repetitive and humiliating, even though my confessor is gracious and kind. So I haven't confessed for some time now.

He can't help you unless he knows what's wrong

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ask your confessor whether he thinks you must confess these sins before receiving the Eucharist. Merely commiting an action is not enough to preclude you from receiving, you would have to have a mortal sin on your conscience. Habit and addiction can reduce or even eliminate culpability. A Priest would generally not tell the heroin addict who shoots up several times per day to avoid getting sick not to receive, nor would he likely tell the habitually lustful person who is making strong efforts to resist his sins that he should abstain from the Eucharist. Long-time habits and addiction can be very hard for some people to break and a good Confessor will help you to determine what level of freedom you have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ask your confessor whether he thinks you must confess these sins before receiving the Eucharist. Merely commuting an action is not enough to preclude you from receiving, you would have to have a mortal sin on your conscience. Habit and addiction can reduce or even eliminate culpability. A Priest would generally not tell the heroin addict who shoots up several times per day to avoid getting sick not to receive, nor would he likely tell the habitually lustful person who is making strong efforts to resist his sins that he should abstain from the Eucharist. Long-time habits and addiction can be very hard for some people to break and a good Confessor will help you to determine what level of freedom you have.

This is fine advice.

To have a confessor who is also a spiritual advisor is a great gift. However, you must be the one who uses this great gift.

A confessor CAN sometimes be you spiritual advisor. Ask for advice! especially with regard as to when to receive and when to refrain from receiving. Receiving regularly is itself healing.

Reactions: stevenhorr
Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings,

I am a former Orthodox and currently Catholic Christian. I am slightly disillusioned with the Catholic Church currently, although I still attend Mass most weekends. My inability to refrain from certain sins is part of the problem, to be sure. But so is the whole legalistic process of confession and absolution. I am discouraged as I am not able to commune most weekends because of sins that are considered grave, and feel kind of ridiculous always confessing the same sins. Yes, I am a weak and foolish sinner. I already know that. But this cycle of sinning, repenting, and repeating has me very discouraged. I have a family background of addiction and anxiety/depression issues. Staying sin-free is just too hard for me, it seems, and I fall into certain sins again and again. And so now I feel somewhat estranged from the Christ and the Church because I feel I have to earn God's love - or at least the right to commune with our Lord. I am not worthy, and having the Body and Blood withheld from me fills me with a constant sense of unworthiness and guilt.

Does anyone else get in this kind of funk? Any words of encouragement or suggestions? I feel I am on the fence with Catholicism lately mostly because of this. In Orthodoxy, I had a similar problem, but where I converted it was rather normal to commune only occasionally, when one had thoroughly prepared themselves. But this varied from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. At Mass, everyone communes weekly, it seems, and this exacerbates my feelings of guilt and unworthiness.

Discouraged... Helpful, edifying encouragements or suggestions appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Steve

Hi Steve

I hope you don't mind, but I would like to put the first chapter of a book here. If it interests you, you can find it under the subject title 'Grace' in the Pentecostal/assemblies of God forum under Christian communities:

A Changed man

As I prepared to write this book, I wondered what I could say that would grab readers’ attention on the first page before they mistakenly discarded the book as not relevant to their lives. I immediately thought of a person I read about who lived a long time ago. It is my hope that what I am about to tell you will persuade you to read more of the wonderful Gospel of Grace that changed his life.

The man I mention was extremely committed to living a life pleasing to God – of that there can be no doubt. He was passionate to live as God required according to His good and holy laws. The harder he tried to live a good life for God, however, the more he failed. In fact, he became a worse sinner and concluded the good and holy laws of God that were supposed to give him life instead brought him to death, and he felt condemned by them. Or to put it another way, he couldn’t live a good enough life for God. Just think of all the guilt and shame he must have lived with. I think you’d agree the burden he carried must have been very great.

I wonder if anyone reading this has ever felt that way. Or perhaps you would never even dream of going to a church because you know you can’t live the life a Christian is supposed to live. So why bother trying, right? Is your life full of trouble? Have you made a mess of your life and feel you have no hope? Have you tried to be a Christian but given up because you feel it is hopeless because – like the man I mentioned – you simply couldn’t live as God wants you to live? Do you go to church but know in your heart that you cannot live up to the image you feel forced to show others? Do you believe they wouldn’t want to know you if they understood the real you beneath the skin?

I am sure that is just how the man I have been talking about felt. I know he considered himself the worst of sinners. I wonder how many of you are crushed beneath impossible burdens and carry tremendous guilt and shame because of the shortcomings in your own life, just like the man I am describing must have done. Yet he discovered something that changed his life – a pearl of great price, you could say – the Gospel of Grace, which completely changed him. In fact, he became probably the most famous Christian who ever lived and wrote nearly half the books of the New Testament. I am sure you now understand that I am speaking of the Apostle Paul.

Now I wonder, if the Gospel could change him that much, why couldn’t it change you? He said he was the worst of sinners; did he lie? If he did, the Bible itself, or at least nearly half the books in the New Testament, must be called into question because we couldn’t trust what Paul declared to be the truth in them, could we? So, no, he didn’t lie; he meant what he said. So I must repeat: if the Gospel could change the worst of sinners, surely there must be hope for all of us – including you.

You might be saying to yourself something like, “Well, that was then; God wouldn’t do the same now. In those days, many great miracles took place, but you don’t see things like that happening today.” God does not change, however. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He cannot change because He is not like us. We can change our behaviour if we have a bad night’s sleep. We can change if our boss or a family member upsets us. Even the seasons can alter our temperament as the summer changes to autumn and the winter nights start to close in, for we are fickle folk at times – aren’t we? God, however, is the one sure constant presence in our universe, so if that thought troubles you, be assured it should not.

Maybe you consider your own particular imperfections to be worse than Paul’s or anyone else’s. I think that’s unlikely. After all, before Paul became a Christian he persecuted Christians, ordering families thrown into prison for their faith. Some may have even been killed because of his actions. Have you done such a thing? When the first Christian martyr was stoned to death, Paul stood by in approval of the actions of those who hurled the stones that ended that man’s life. Have you been guilty of such a thing? If not, you cannot say that God cannot change you, too. If that Gospel could change Paul then, as it did, it can change you today just the same. God is constant, and He will always respond to anyone who comes to Him through the truth Paul discovered and preached.

So I would like to spend just a little time talking about a Gospel that changed the worst of sinners into the greatest preacher of Grace this world has ever known. I will try to be as brief as possible, in case you do not have a lot of time for reading. I hope you do, though, because this is a Gospel full of power that sets people free from the worst and most impossible situations life can throw at them. It is a Gospel that takes away all your guilt and shame and stops sin from being your master. It is a Gospel that means you – yes, you – can change and live as God wants you to, not by striving endlessly to live a good enough life by your own efforts, oh no! But by a very different method – the method that changed Paul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Staying sin-free is just too hard for me,
Try impossible. And welcome to the human race.

You cannot and will not ever stay "sin free." It is therefore grossly unfair to beat yourself up about it. Do the best you can, and if your intent is true and you are trying your hardest, that is what matters most. Also along with confession/discussing with your priest, pls consider counseling with someone in whatever area of addiction you have, as well as a doctor/psychologist regarding your depression and anxieties. Priest are experts in matters of the heart and soul, not the body. g/l!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Its why I would like to see General Absolution during the Mass, after the Penitential Act

People can still go to a confessor for spiritual guidance.

Jim

Upvote 0

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes the mortal/venial dichotomy and the obvious legalism of the scheme has been extremely off-putting to me as well. Its interesting that you converted from Orthodoxy, currently I find myself headed in the opposite trajectory. To each their own though.

As others have suggested I would talk to a priest. I've talked with a few priests who were wonderfully helpful, yet I couldn't ignore the fact that what they said seemed to run against the grain of official Roman dogma. This is really tough, and you're not alone in your struggles. Pray and seek the Lord's guidance, and above all trust in his mercy.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Greetings,

Steve

Hi back, Steve, and welcome!
there's a lot i could say here regarding this, but since I'm still in RCIA i'll let wiser heads than mine take the lead.
Just know that you're not alone in your strugggles.

Upvote 0

Jared R

Episcopalian
Aug 31, 2015
✟27,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Holiness is monotonous, and most people don't have the stomach for it. Loving God and hating your sins is not an effortless magical state, it's getting up day after day and sticking to your good resolutions no matter what. Sin will always have the upper hand until you start denying yourself for real. I tell myself I will keep going every day even if I am the most miserable person on the planet because of it. But you will find Jesus doesn't let you go long without consolations. Sweet and easy yoke. The hard part, self-denial, comes first though.

Upvote 0

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
One thing I have found though, is that if your striving for holiness is based on fear or a sense of condemnation, something is wrong. It is in this case much like the Pharisees, who keep the outside clean while the inside is rotten. Outward obedience to commands, when the heart is not in it, will profit us nothing.

True holiness is and should always be motivated purely by a deep love of God. It is not the simple avoidance of sin but, rather, an overflow of love for God and others that manifests itself in good fruit. Maybe stop focusing so much on your pet sins and focus more on the love of God and how you can serve others.

Don't think in terms of "sin x will damn me to Hell but I keep committing sin x aaaaah". Think rather in terms of "Jesus lived, died and rose again to redeem me that I may be one with him in love. Lord Jesus, forgive my sins and give me grace to follow you all the days of my life". And ALWAYS trust in the mercy of God, judgement is his and his alone.

The sins I felt powerless over while feeling condemned have now begun to effortlessly fall out of my life, since I came to rest in the love of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jared R

Episcopalian
Aug 31, 2015
✟27,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It actually does profit you to obey when your heart isn't in it though. There are days where the spiritual life just feels like going through the motions, especially in the beginning. This is just human nature. It's important to keep going even if the feelings aren't there.

St. Francis and St. Bernard, among others, picture the spiritual life starting at the feet of Christ. At this stage we don't want to go to hell, and we begin to be sorry for our sins. Then we move up to His hands. We want His gifts and are motivated by eternal reward. Then we move up to His heart. We want Him for Himself.

This is the "ordinary" process (which looks different in every case of course) and they warn that trying to force a jump ahead will end in self-deception. It is very hard for a "beginner" to be motivated by a pure love of God, and I don't think it's necessarily wise to try from the outset.

One thing I have found though, is that if your striving for holiness is based on fear or a sense of condemnation, something is wrong. It is in this case much like the Pharisees, who keep the outside clean while the inside is rotten. Outward obedience to commands, when the heart is not in it, will profit us nothing.

True holiness is and should always be motivated purely by a deep love of God. It is not the simple avoidance of sin but, rather, an overflow of love for God and others that manifests itself in good fruit. Maybe stop focusing so much on your pet sins and focus more on the love of God and how you can serve others.

Don't think in terms of "sin x will damn me to Hell but I keep committing sin x aaaaah". Think rather in terms of "Jesus lived, died and rose again to redeem me that I may be one with him in love. Lord Jesus, forgive my sins and give me grace to follow you all the days of my life". And ALWAYS trust in the mercy of God, judgement is his and his alone.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Greetings,

Steve
I have depression/anxiety too. On meds.
I also - as we all do - keep sinning.

The best thing to do is pray and pray the Lord help you overcome it. We are weak without Him. But it must be in your heart to hate the sin rather than hating to abstain from Communion.
I have hardly went to Communion in many months myself - but i dont see it as a punishment - i see it as my own doing.

So i went to confession recently and i am working hard on keeping my mind away from sins - so i can receive - because to receive is our strength.
The more sin [temptation] pulls you away from the sacrament - the more likely we are to sin.
The graces of Communion are fully worth it to do all we can to stop letting ourselves succumb to the temptations - and acknowledge we are our own worst enemy when we give in.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Staying sin-free is just too hard for me, it seems, and I fall into certain sins again and again.
It's a tall order to be sure. We all have to go to Confession from time to time.

You lament having to go to Confession for the same stuff over and over again but ask yourself something. We all have to go to Confession so is it really so bad that you keep committing the same sin again and again? The alternative is committing different sins every time... and I'm not sure that's better.

Keep at it. The goal is to better yourself. That may take longer for certain things and you have my prayers and sympathies. But you're doing what you need to be doing. Don't try to be perfect. Just try to be better. :)

Upvote 0