*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starelda

I doubted when I was a Christian, now I'm doubting as an atheist. I just don't know what I believe anymore...it's like I'm being pulled in two different directions. I've walked away from Christianity several times this year and each time it gets a bit easier to do but eventually I find myself being pulled back.

:sigh: I just wish I could work out what I believe and stick with it. I know I'll probably never be free of some doubts but surely I can be free of this tug-o-war between belief and lack of belief.

There...rant over...for now.

malckiah

Jesus Christ is my God and King!
Dec 9, 2006
Texas
✟17,426.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello friend, so your being torn.... Well, there must be something that is making you leave Christianity and there must be something that brings you back. Well, maybe start with the basics and get settled as to what you believe there and then move on. (i must warn you i am all for Jesus, you can read my testamony in this forum i wrote a few days ago in the testamony page...i wasnt even interested in Christianity...He came for me!)
When i say start with the basics i mean things like....Is there a God or not? Well, if you look at a painting does that mean there was a painter? There are alot of beautyful created things such as mountains, stars, ect.
Then once you have established that, then decide in your heart, search and pray as to what God is like. i find it no less than interesting that Christianity is the only belief out there that is not selfish. For instance in true Christianity your primary purpose is to serve God and love others before yourself in humility. There are other religions that talk about being humble, but their outcome is selfish, like...to become enlightened for instance. Another cool thing is that all other religions have founders that are in the grave...dead. Jesus rose from the dead. Lets take a look at Jesus....He is kind, gentle, loving, peaceful, humble, mighty, all powerful, yet gave His life for you, Amazing! What is not to like about that? Indeed all that i have said here is my way of trying to sway you back to Him. And above all...all that i ask is that you really think about Jesus and allow Him to show you that truly He is The Way! Search within yourself and try to decipher what part of you doubts and what part believes and why. Then take your doubts and find answers. May The Lord Bless you in your search! amen.

Upvote 0

Endure2

Veteran
May 1, 2004
Georgia
✟16,766.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
what kind of feeling accompanies these changes in belief?

in a pull in either direction...is it because you feel afraid? or is it because you feel revived, refreshed and want to stand back up and try again? fear is never something to to follow. refreshment is always something to follow, i think so anyway. or is it slump into boredom and that tends to make you reconsider?

i think asking these questions may help you define where the impulses are coming from and determining whether they are wise to follow or not.

i dont push my beliefs on other people so im not going to tell you what to believe. but wherever you feel most at home, whatever seems real to you. if it feels that way at all i mean.

anyway,
good luck.
but take it easy if you arent already, stressing doesnt really lead to good conclusions. gently search yourself and see whats there, what it is you truely believe, not what worries you or what youve always done, and then take small steps in that direction slowly but surely. but dont stress.

Upvote 0

brea

Nov 13, 2006
USA
✟7,845.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I doubted when I was a Christian, now I'm doubting as an atheist. I just don't know what I believe anymore...it's like I'm being pulled in two different directions. I've walked away from Christianity several times this year and each time it gets a bit easier to do but eventually I find myself being pulled back.

:sigh: I just wish I could work out what I believe and stick with it. I know I'll probably never be free of some doubts but surely I can be free of this tug-o-war between belief and lack of belief.

I just wanted to say that doubt and faith are not mutually exclusive. I have doubts quite often. Some big, distressing ones, some little, relatively inconsequential ones.

That used to freak me out and I wished for the absolute-total-assurance sort of faith that others seemed to have but I discovered that those sorts of people often actually had a pretty shaky faith; any doubt would crumble their whole system, so they had to stick their head in the sand and run away from them.

After much soul-searching and asking (Matthew 7:7 "ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you".....I figured that even if there wasn't a God, what could asking hurt? worst case scenerio, I was talking to my walls ;) ) I realized that I *do* believe in God, even though I may not be able to nail down every little aspect of Him(and a Deity about Whom I could understand every single thing probably wouldn't be great/powerful enough anyway).

My doubts often arise from things like "God, if you are good, how could you do/allow X thing to happen...." and whereas it's definitley still a struggle, I now remind myself "God is Love (1 Jn 4:8) and would never do anything that isn't loving. I just may not be able to understand His actions from my limited, earthly, non-omniscient viewpoint"

Sorry if I rambled; I hope that was any sort of help. Hugs to you :groupray: I know how difficult those struggles are.

Reactions: heron
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Sounds familiar.

:sigh: I just wish I could work out what I believe and stick with it.
Maybe you need time to work it out.
And maybe you need to acknowledge what it is about Christianity (and atheisism for that matter) that you find difficult or that pushes you away. And, at the same time, acknowledging what, if anything, you are comfortable and sure about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
What I suggest you do is make a prayer directly to God the creator of the Universe. Ask Him to open up your heart and show you the truth. Tell Him you want to fidn the Truth. God Willing he will answer your prayer

yes, that's a great prayer. Just remember sin hinders our relationship with God.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just wanted to say that doubt and faith are not mutually exclusive.
I agree. Think about how God might be viewing this... He has watched people struggle with decisions and understanding for centuries. He is not afraid of you not having a complete understanding of anything. He is there.

You are there... continually taking things in and observing, trying new things, studying new things. We were not meant to be stagnant creatures. You can stand strong in yourself, knowing who you are up until this point, and allowing God to be involved and continue to reveal Himself to you.

Just keep asking Him for more revelation of who He is. It doesn't have to be all on your shoulders.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
are there any Vineyard or Word of Faith churches in your area ?

there is an atmosphere of " come as you are " , let us help ... more so than in some older denominational churches .

is there anyone who walks the walk , speaks briefly and compassionately to you on a regular basis ? , perhaps they are a barnabus there to assist , minister , and instruct you

Upvote 0
C

CouldiEver

Thanks for your replies guys but I'm happy now. I no longer feel torn between two paths, nor doubts about my current beliefs...thanks for your time though. :)

You spent some parts of two days in making the biggest decision of your life that will heavily impact your future and your eternal future after that? :swoon:

So just what do you believe now and why?

Upvote 0

JoyforJESUS

Jesus Others Yourself
Nov 28, 2006
Cumberland Maryland
✟42,655.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Wow, do you know how powerful your statement is???

IMO, it is God's work that you are being pulled back to Him!

Satan has tried to pull you from God and cant why??? Here is a verse that might help you understand

[FONT=tahoma,sans-serif]

"I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one." John 10:28-30

Happy New Year!
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.