Sicilian pizza dough (sauce recipe will come up behind it)

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have this (with my own corrections I made to it) printed off for myself, and I thought I would post it here also for anyone interested in more of a sicilian kind of pizza. We moved down south from Phila and since living here we cant even find a decent pizza at any local pizzaria so my husband had me looking trying more for a taste of back home. So I have been trying to find the best combination between three, the doughs, a sauce and a particular cheese combination that we really love.

Its from here http://www.comfortcookadventures.com/2011/06/third-of-pizza-trilogy-sicilian-pizza.html

Sicilian Pizza (no pizza stone required with this one)

How to Make the Dough (only)

Ingredients:

2 (.25 oz) packages of active dry yeast (or 4 and 1/2 teaspoons)
4 cups flour (bread flour preferably*) more gluten (less tearing)
½ cup warm water (about 110F)
1 tsp salt
1 cup cool water
2 Tbsp olive oil*

Preparation:

In a small bowl, combine the yeast with a ½ cup of flour and the warm water; cover with plastic wrap and allow proofing for 15 minutes; stir afterwards to deflate.
In a large bowl, combine remaining flour, salt, cool water and yeast mixture. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead for 15 minutes. Clean the large bowl, lightly dust with flour and return dough to it; cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 ½ hours.
Preheat oven to 450F.
Brush (with the olive oil*) the bottom and sides of a 17 ½” x 11 ½” x ¾” heavy aluminum baking pan.
Punch down the dough, return to floured board and roll out slightly.
Place dough into pan and stretch out to all sides, leaving a lip all around.
Let it rest for 15 minutes before adding toppings*.
Bake for (my correction*) for 12-15* minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Makes 12 servings.

Okay, me again.

I use a homemade pizza sauce I found online that I really love (easy and tasty, reminds us of Phila) and Lord willing I will post that behind this dough recipe a bit later, but in respects to that I add one 4 ounce ladel of sauce to this, then layer bout 10 slices of provalone cheese over that, beef pepperoni (which I reduce the grease off of by microwaving them between paper towels for 45 seconds. Then 5 ounces of shredded mozarella (shredded by me) not the pre shredded stuff, its said to be sprayed with something that doesnt allow it to "string, when pulled) and you want "that". And lastly its sprinkled over the top with a freshly grated half and half combo of parmgiano reggiano and parmesan cheese, you can use either or or both (whatever you want to do). If you want to see your pepperonis, switch its place with the mozarrella cheese.

My husband asked, where are the pepperoni's? And I had them under the cheese (he would rather see them I think).

A note on the above recipe, I changed the bake time from the one given at the site as it will have you eating a VERY burnt pizza, Ive made this 4-5 times so far and 12-15 is about right (not ever longer than that).

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is Noreen's pizza sauce, folks were raving bout this one, so I tried it and I loved it, so this is the one we use, its not only tasty, but its really easy to make (I make a huge batch and freeze little 4 ounce bags of it so I can use it later, and because the dough can be a little time consuming, and I really dont want to be making both of those at the same time

Noreen's Pizza Sauce

images

Thats what it looks like pretty much, and this sauce is enough for 4-5 pizza's (you can double this to make even more)

In a large can on the stove top add

1/3 of a cup of olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
1- 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
1- 14 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 can of tomato paste
1 tsp of Onion powder
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of ground Rosemary
1 tsp of Garlic powder
1 tsp of Red pepper flakes
1TBSP granulated sugar
1 TBSP of Oregano
1 TBSP of Basil leaf

Directions:

Let this come to a simmer and then simmer for 20 minutes to let the flavors marry.

And if you find that its too acidic add a little red wine vinegar

You can also add a 1/2 cup of parm (Asiago) cheese if you want (whatever your preference)

Adjust it to your taste though. I use it sparingly on pizza dough, it really doesn't take much on a pizza (depending on pizza size you can use just a few tablespoons of sauce of more) I use a 4 ounce ladel of this on the larger sicilian.

The recipe is from here (which I believe is set for canning) as she leaves out the olive oil in the recipe which is actually in her video which is why you will see olive oil listed in mine recipe above (which is off her video version) and no oil in hers (her written version).

At least I thought it better then assuming she had made a mistake ^_^ (It just makes better sense to assume that being left out (foremost) would typically be left out in a canning recipe (and she cans it so...)

Recipe is from here

http://www.noreenskitchen.com/pizza-sauce.html

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a homemade mozzarella recipe I love.
Whenever I make this I put pizza on the menu for the weekend.

Homemade mozzarella (fun to make too)

Recipe from here:

http://heart-hands-home.blogspot.com/2011/01/homemade-mozzarella-cheese.html

Not listed in her ingredients is an ingredient I like to add mozzarella, called "lipase powder". I like to add that into the recipe for an improved flavor. If you can prepare to have that on hand beforehand its worth adding, especially if you want to make more cheese later on. You don't need much about an 1/8 of a teaspoon.

All you do is dissolve an 1/8 of a teaspoon in a 1/4 cup of water and then add it to the milk on the stove just before the rennet. Thats it

But if you don't have that don't worry about it, its not in the recipe, and she makes hers without it.

---------------------------------

These three recipes (above) are a wonderful combination for a great homemade pizza though.

I will also post a no knead pizza dough that works great, which was actually my "go to" pizza dough until I found the one I posted above (which I loved so much I was more then willing to move away from a "no knead" dough into a "fifteen minute knead" (and I hate to knead) so that says something, but it was that perfect for us. And that one has to be done by hand (on my end) because my kitchen aid mixer (and I have my grandmothers workhorse) just wasn't cutting it. Either its not up to par or I had too much dough for it to move around effectively so I cant lean on motor power on my end. But it is a very nice dough to work with by hand.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No Knead dough (Makes 3 balls of dough) This dough is very forgiving also

Ingredients:

3 3/4 cups (500 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water (be sure not to use hot water as that will kill the yeast)

Directions:

In a medium bowl combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Gradually add the water, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the water is incorporated and a shaggy dough forms. You may need to use your hands to fully incorporate the water. Just remember, you don't need to knead!

Shape the dough into a ball and transfer to a clean large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature in a draft-free place until the dough is doubled in size. This may take up to 18 hours, depending on how warm your kitchen is. Don't worry too much about the time as this dough is very forgiving.

Transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Divide into 3 equal portions. Take one portion of dough and gather 4 corners to the center to create 4 folds. Turn seam side down and roll into an even ball. Repeat with remaining portions. Let dough rest, covered, until soft and pliable, about 1 hour.

The dough can be made ahead of time. Refrigerate the dough, individually wrapped in plastic, for up to 3 days. Unwrap and let rest at room temperature, covered in plastic wrap, for 2 to 3 hours before shaping. Freeze the dough, individually wrapped in plastic and placed in ziplock bags, for up to 1 month. Defrost the dough overnight in the fridge then allow to sit at room temperature as directed above before shaping.

The dough is now ready to be shaped into pizza or whatever else you desire.

The dough recipe from here

http://www.handletheheat.com/video-how-to-make-pizza/

----------

So this one is so easy and takes less then 5 minutes to make.

I typically doubled this recipe because it makes very small pies, and I prefer to make two larger ones to fit the size pan we have (so it works for us to double).

I typically bake pizzas on a pizza stone but I prefer doing this one in a large 15 inch cast iron pan which has been preheated in a 450 degree oven.

And while its in the oven I press out the dough on a floured work surface, working from the center outward, I add a little semolina flour to the pizza peel (keep it close by) and use it transfer dough. The peel helps slide it easier into the cast iron pan.

Then I just remove pan out of the oven (place it on stove top) sprinkle the surface of the pan with some corn meal, then I carefully slide the pie into it, making adjustments (with care) because the cast iron will be hot. Then add the sauce (same as recipe above) and cheeses (and whichever other toppings).

I bake this anywhere between 12-15 minutes

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have this (with my own corrections I made to it) printed off for myself, and I thought I would post it here also for anyone interested in more of a sicilian kind of pizza. We moved down south from Phila and since living here we cant even find a decent pizza at any local pizzaria so my husband had me looking trying more for a taste of back home. So I have been trying to find the best combination between three, the doughs, a sauce and a particular cheese combination that we really love.

Its from here http://www.comfortcookadventures.com/2011/06/third-of-pizza-trilogy-sicilian-pizza.html

Sicilian Pizza (no pizza stone required with this one)

How to Make the Dough (only)

Ingredients:

2 (.25 oz) packages of active dry yeast (or 4 and 1/2 teaspoons)
4 cups flour (bread flour preferably*) more gluten (less tearing)
½ cup warm water (about 110F)
1 tsp salt
1 cup cool water
2 Tbsp olive oil*

Preparation:

In a small bowl, combine the yeast with a ½ cup of flour and the warm water; cover with plastic wrap and allow proofing for 15 minutes; stir afterwards to deflate.
In a large bowl, combine remaining flour, salt, cool water and yeast mixture. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead for 15 minutes. Clean the large bowl, lightly dust with flour and return dough to it; cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 ½ hours.
Preheat oven to 450F.
Brush (with the olive oil*) the bottom and sides of a 17 ½” x 11 ½” x ¾” heavy aluminum baking pan.
Punch down the dough, return to floured board and roll out slightly.
Place dough into pan and stretch out to all sides, leaving a lip all around.
Let it rest for 15 minutes before adding toppings*.
Bake for (my correction*) for 12-15* minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Makes 12 servings.

Okay, me again.

I use a homemade pizza sauce I found online that I really love (easy and tasty, reminds us of Phila) and Lord willing I will post that behind this dough recipe a bit later, but in respects to that I add one 4 ounce ladel of sauce to this, then layer bout 10 slices of provalone cheese over that, beef pepperoni (which I reduce the grease off of by microwaving them between paper towels for 45 seconds. Then 5 ounces of shredded mozarella (shredded by me) not the pre shredded stuff, its said to be sprayed with something that doesnt allow it to "string, when pulled) and you want "that". And lastly its sprinkled over the top with a freshly grated half and half combo of parmgiano reggiano and parmesan cheese, you can use either or or both (whatever you want to do). If you want to see your pepperonis, switch its place with the mozarrella cheese.

My husband asked, where are the pepperoni's? And I had them under the cheese (he would rather see them I think).

A note on the above recipe, I changed the bake time from the one given at the site as it will have you eating a VERY burnt pizza, Ive made this 4-5 times so far and 12-15 is about right (not ever longer than that).

A good book for the Pizza Aficionado is "The Pizza Bible" by Tony Gemignani an 11 time World Pizza Champion... It's about 300 pages long and is chock full of good information.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A good book for the Pizza Aficionado is "The Pizza Bible" by Tony Gemignani an 11 time World Pizza Champion... It's about 300 pages long and is chock full of good information.

Hey thanks (too late) I have it already ^_^ I have all the bibles, pizza, bread, sauces , God's (although I want to stop calling the scriptures the bible) I am trying.

But you know what though, I havent even cracked it open yet, recipe books being the only books I will buy typically (and mostly used at that) over at Amazon.

But you have encouraged me to take a peak.

I suppose I am so used to online (reading the ratings and all) that I even skip out on skimming through a book. Because I can do four things online at once where a book slows me down some.

I'll take a look though, thanks, I only keep recipe books on hand for power failure situations and for cooking in other non conventional ways (just to have "something" to turn to).

I have tried making one of those chicago deep dish pizza's also but I just havent found the right recipe that I am impressed with yet.

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hey thanks (too late) I have it already ^_^ I have all the bibles, pizza, bread, sauces , God's (although I want to stop calling the scriptures the bible) I am trying.

But you know what though, I havent even cracked it open yet, recipe books being the only books I will buy typically (and mostly used at that) over at Amazon.

But you have encouraged me to take a peak.

I suppose I am so used to online (reading the ratings and all) that I even skip out on skimming through a book. Because I can do four things online at once where a book slows me down some.

I'll take a look though, thanks, I only keep recipe books on hand for power failure situations and for cooking in other non conventional ways (just to have "something" to turn to).

I have tried making one of those chicago deep dish pizza's also but I just havent found the right recipe that I am impressed with yet.

The biggest issue I see with it is it can be hard to find some of the ingredients if you don't live close to any specialty stores, like finding high gluten flour for instance.

The Internet makes it somewhat easier to find them but they can be expensive with shipping costs, it is cheaper though if you procure in bulk. (Bought my high gluten flour directly from King Arthur and it wasn't too bad price wise)...

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The biggest issue I see with it is it can be hard to find some of the ingredients if you don't live close to any specialty stores, like finding high gluten flour for instance.

The Internet makes it somewhat easier to find them but they can be expensive with shipping costs, it is cheaper though if you procure in bulk. (Bought my high gluten flour directly from King Arthur and it wasn't too bad price wise)...

Yeah I order bread flour either from honeyville farms, or Amazon in 50 lb bags or I will just pick up 5 pound bad of King Arthur flour at food Lion or get that 25 lb bag of bread flour over at Sam's, I can use any of those. I go through bread flour more then any other flour. But I havent found any difficulties with any particular brand

I dont have a complex palet. My sister used to be a representive for fine wines at wine tastings and would bring back unused portions of bottles that sell for hundreds of dollars. I would taste them and hate them. She would always try to insult me by saying my palate was unsophisticated since I preferred the cheapest stuff to hers. But if it had to that would work for me, I mean, can you imagine being dirt poor with one of those sophisticated palates?

What a drag that would be on that person,^_^ know what I mean?

I havent figured out how to use my dough conditioner yet, I was going to try a sour rye bread that calls for it, and give that a whirl. I hate to start adding things into recipes when I dont find all that much wrong with it. But there are food snobs out there I do know that. The oneupsmanships over at places like Allrecipes and various recipe sites is sort of comincal to read through.

Yeah, online is great for those hard to find things though I hear ya :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is Noreen's pizza sauce, folks were raving bout this one, so I tried it and I loved it, so this is the one we use, its not only tasty, but its really easy to make (I make a huge batch and freeze little 4 ounce bags of it so I can use it later, and because the dough can be a little time consuming, and I really dont want to be making both of those at the same time

Noreen's Pizza Sauce

images

Thats what it looks like pretty much, and this sauce is enough for 4-5 pizza's (you can double this to make even more)

In a large can on the stove top add

1/3 of a cup of olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
1- 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
1- 14 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 can of tomato paste
1 tsp of Onion powder
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of ground Rosemary
1 tsp of Garlic powder
1 tsp of Red pepper flakes
1TBSP granulated sugar
1 TBSP of Oregano
1 TBSP of Basil leaf

Directions:

Let this come to a simmer and then simmer for 20 minutes to let the flavors marry.

And if you find that its too acidic add a little red wine vinegar

You can also add a 1/2 cup of parm (Asiago) cheese if you want (whatever your preference)

Adjust it to your taste though. I use it sparingly on pizza dough, it really doesn't take much on a pizza (depending on pizza size you can use just a few tablespoons of sauce of more) I use a 4 ounce ladel of this on the larger sicilian.

The recipe is from here (which I believe is set for canning) as she leaves out the olive oil in the recipe which is actually in her video which is why you will see olive oil listed in mine recipe above (which is off her video version) and no oil in hers (her written version).

At least I thought it better then assuming she had made a mistake ^_^ (It just makes better sense to assume that being left out (foremost) would typically be left out in a canning recipe (and she cans it so...)

Recipe is from here

http://www.noreenskitchen.com/pizza-sauce.html

Have you ever tried using "uncooked" sauce on your dough? (Tony recommends doing that in his book). The theory behind this is cooking it twice is cooking out some of the flavors and adding others you don't want.

I've been doing that with BBQ sauces for years and it really makes a difference especially with something that requires an extended cooking time like a brisket.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I never tried that. But the sauce in the above recipe simmers for just about twenty minutes and then again for only 12 minutes in the oven (on the pizza) after that. It really isnt an extended cooking time type recipe. Although it would probably save time not cooking it, and that sauce recipe is so packed with flavor I cant see how the time it takes to marry those flavors diminishing them much at all making that much of a difference. I don't notice any loss of flavor between tasting it beforehand and after but then again I wouldnt notice something like that.

Maybe I will try it once, and put everything into a pot (and just mix it, not heat it) and remove a half a ladel ful and test it on some premade dough (then cook the rest). It will be some time before I need to make it I have six weeks worth left to go through.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums