Show me in Scripture

N

Nanopants

But God has revealed [them] to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. -1 Cr 2:10-12

It appears to me that to understand what the scriptures speak of, the scriptures alone are not enough, and that nothing is a substitute for the Spirit of God.

But we receive the Spirit of God through faith in the Gospel of God. It's Hearing the Word -> Faith -> Understanding.

Upvote 0
S

Sieben

But God has revealed [them] to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. -1 Cr 2:10-12

It appears to me that to understand what the scriptures speak of, the scriptures alone are not enough, and that nothing is a substitute for the Spirit of God.

Then we have to question whether or not someone has the Spirit then. Did they have the Holy Spirit in 313ad at the edict of Milan? That is heavily debatable since the persecution of Christians rose up. In either case, I believe the Holy Spirit was not with them in the beginning, but rather outside of their church. Even if someone proves tradition is needed, I still hold the same view. Mainly because of the history and the fruits shown. I don't think it's wise to overlook it all.

Upvote 0

Ishraqiyun

Fanning the Divine Spark
Mar 22, 2011
Montsalvat
✟21,035.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't explicitly say "scripture alone" or "scripture is not enough". The current controversy surrounding it apparently didn't exist at the time/s of authorship. This could be because "everyone" was already "Scripture alone" (or the opposite "Scripture is not enough") at the time and there wasn't any disagreement over it or it could be due to something else all together. Hard to tell really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If it wasn't for scripture you wouldn't know what happened in Acts 15.

Beat me to it, Hen!

If it's in Acts, Scripture (NT) settled it. We do not mean Scripture minus the NT when we say that Scripture is sufficient for all that is necessary for salvation.

Upvote 0

fwiwwl

SINNER
Nov 7, 2005
✟1,258.00
Faith
Non-Denom

But we receive the Spirit of God through faith in the Gospel of God. It's Hearing the Word -> Faith -> Understanding.

Well put! I could go on but I better not!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It appears to me that to understand what the scriptures speak of, the scriptures alone are not enough

Just try to find something else that beats it, though! Whatever it supposedly is, you'll find that there are as many versions of it as there are interpretations of Scripture.

But we receive the Spirit of God

Yeh, that too. One person's inspiration/insight/guidance is not the same as the next person's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ishraqiyun

Fanning the Divine Spark
Mar 22, 2011
Montsalvat
✟21,035.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Usually when a person says tradition in the regards to religion they mean a body of "authoritative" teachings and rulings. What has been "passed down" [traditioned] in terms of dogma, doctrine, practice, and so on. The tradition of male priesthood in the Roman Catholic Church would be one example. These can be both written and oral tradition though so in a certain sense "the Book of Hebrews" would be tradition in a Church that accepted it as canonical or important. The idea of "canon" itself would also fall under the heading of tradition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
N

Nanopants

Just try to find something else that beats it, though! Whatever it supposedly is, you'll find that there are as many versions of it as there are interpretations of Scripture.

Yeh, that too. One person's inspiration/insight/guidance is not the same as the next person's.

Right well, as reasonable as that assertion is, if we say it invalidates the clear assertion of the scriptures, then the scriptures are invalid and so is our faith.

I just assume that the vast majority have not had anything revealed to them.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
In response to another thread that was recently closed, can anyone show me in scripture where it says scripture alone is not enough? Please show me where scriptures say we need anything else.

God bless

The question assumes a default position that isn't heretofore substantiated. To make this question a sensible one, one first has to have demonstrated a default position of some sort.

Or, to make things clearer, this statement/question is fundamentally no different then the following:

"can anyone show me in scripture where it says that bananas aren't a race of mute, highly intelligent aliens from the planet Thormax?"

The OP is begging the question.

Note that I adhere to Sola Scriptura.

Reactions: Tzaousios
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It wasn't enough to settle the matter in Acts 15. Christians had a dispute and persons of authority settled the matter.
They used Scripture (Amos 9) as well as their theology because Amos 9 ultimately was not explicit with regard to circumcision, the issue at hand, hence their dispute.
Good point :thumbsup:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7605701/
Acts 15:21

Once a person has decided to convert, the proselyte must begin to learn Jewish religion, law and customs and begin to observe them. This teaching process generally takes at least one year, because the prospective convert must experience each of the Jewish holidays; however, the actual amount of study required will vary from person to person. This is why the counsel came up with...

Acts 15:21
For the law of Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath.”

Upvote 0

Ishraqiyun

Fanning the Divine Spark
Mar 22, 2011
Montsalvat
✟21,035.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God

Scripture is directing you to listen to GOD's SPIRIT!
I say "God alone" everything else is optional. That's kind of in the spirit of that Biblical quote I believe. Faith comes from God. Understanding Scripture comes from God. All that good stuff.

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In response to another thread that was recently closed, can anyone show me in scripture where it says scripture alone is not enough? Please show me where scriptures say we need anything else.

God bless
In Deuteronomy 12:21, Moses instructed the Jews to perform kosher slaugher "as I have commanded you" - but nowhere in the written text of the Torah is there any explanation of that "as I have commanded you". Nowhere are the rules of kosher slaughter defined in writing, yet they are referred to. The way that the Jews know how to perform kosher slaughter is from the Oral Law, which was passed down through the generations. There are many other examples in the Bible of things that are not described fully and unless the oral explanation is known, they can and are often misinterpreted in many bizarre ways.

Therefore, it is not that the written word tells us that we need anything else, but rather the lack of explanation that shows that there must be something else besides the written word in order to have the complete instruction and picture and meaning.

Reactions: Ishraqiyun
Upvote 0