Should we stop listening to the likes of Bethel, Hillsong and Elevation music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure where to post it so I'll post here...

There is no doubt about it that churches like Bethel, Hillsong and Elevation church are somewhat dangerously heretic and controversial in some of their teachings, music and beliefs... There seems to be a rise in some pastors sound in doctrine and other believers warning us to stay away and stop listening to music related to these churches because in some ways, we are supporting these churches by funding them when we listen to their music. I've always thought of these to be a minor issue as I only rather focus on glorying God and if the music is glorying and full of truth to the word of God as revealed in the Bible then I have no problem playing or sharing it... I'm just curious to know what some of you think regarding these things. Please share in all honesty in love and truth. God bless.

Last edited:

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

There is no doubt about it that churches like Bethel, Hillsong and Elevation church are somewhat dangerously heretic and controversial in some of their teachings, music and beliefs... There seems to be a rise in some pastors sound in doctrine and other believers warning us to stay away and stop listening to music related to these churches because in some ways, we are supporting these churches by funding them when we listen to their music. I've always thought of these to be a minor issue as I only rather focus on glorying God and if the music is glorying and full of truth to the word of God as revealed in the Bible then I have no problem playing or sharing it... I'm just curious to know what some of you think regarding these things. Please share in all honesty in love and truth. God bless.
If it's heretical, certainly stay away. Actually, in a recent church meeting a woman brought up the fact that one of the newest songs introduced at church had a line that was definitely not theologically sound, yet everyone sang it without questioning it because it came from Hillsong, a "reputable" Christian music publisher.

So, yes, it's definitely a growing issue. The crowd mentality at churches sometimes makes it easy to just skip over lines you don't agree with without thinking of the greater effect it could have - on young Christians in particular.

There's a song I really like the tune and most of the words, but it bothers me because there is one line that I'm not sure I can agree with. It says "Jesus is king, yet He's bound. He cannot move until His people give Him ground." I think I see what is trying to be said there, but Jesus IS King and can do whatever He pleases even if we don't give him ground...

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I disagree with many of my fellow brothers & sisters on doctrinal issues but I see no need to alienate them. Those who truly seek to honor God will search for the truth of His Word themselves and not rely on someone else to tell them. As Jesus said in Matthew 7 “he who asks receives, to he who knocks the door will be opened, and he who seeks will find.” He also said in John 10 “no one can snatch them from The Father’s hand.” So I don’t believe our salvation is not dependent upon which pastor the Holy Spirit uses to bring us to Christ or what exactly that pastor teaches. It’s not the pastor or the song artist that brings someone to Christ, but the Holy Spirit Himself who brings them. I think most who come to Christ typically go through a few doctrinal belief changes along the way. I enjoy Hillsong’s music and I believe their heart felt intention is to honor God and to serve Him.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Personally, I find most modern "Christian" music to be banal, repetitive emotional appeals that do nothing to edify the believer and glorify God. Just saying/singing "Praise the Lord" is NOT praising the Lord.

It's no wonder that many Christian groups are revisiting old hymns. I don't like the real rock stuff and I value what's left of my hearing.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Interesting post, thanks for sharing your question. Could you share some specific examples? I'm with @SkyWriting on my naivete about this; I've heard a bit of Hillsong, but I just don't care for the Christian genre. Black Sabbath has a few solidly Christian songs (debate me here: Should Christian music be edgier? ), John Michael Talbot has an awesome Christian album called "Monk Rock", and there's other Christian songs that sneak into classic rock; Christian Classic Rock . I like to listen to hard-hitting Christian rap when I'm playing violent video games; it helps whip up energy, while still reminding me of someone higher that I should be fighting for. Personally, I don't listen too much to lyrics anyway; I know that at least a few Christian rap songs I like have Protestant doctrine that I consider heretical, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm listening to something honoring Christ. In any case, would you rather I listen to secular music over music that contains heresies?

It says "Jesus is king, yet He's bound. He cannot move until His people give Him ground." I think I see what is trying to be said there, but Jesus IS King and can do whatever He pleases even if we don't give him ground...

How can we tell what's heretical? Jesus, by acting as in love as a gentleman, is bound when we don't let Him out into the world. But God is Almighty, and can do everything, regardless of us! But God works through us, so......you see how this can go? Arguments based on the Bible alone are endless, because humans have a seemingly infinite capacity to find new details & spin new stories. Whether or not we're trying to make things excessively complicated, it happens when we separate ourselves from the teaching authorities that Jesus has put in place; Why I Choose Catholic Christianity

In any case, context is important to remember, and can influence the way that sentences come off. Music may give mixed ideas of theology, but so do we; where do we draw the line? I don't have any conclusive thoughts, I just thought I should raise some questions that should be pondered.

May we continue to appreciate all of God's blessings!:pray:

• Prayers
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Through copyright laws every time your church sings their songs their churches get a chunk of cash. If you see no harm in supporting those Churches that spread false doctrine, then have at it.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I find most modern "Christian" music to be banal, repetitive emotional appeals that do nothing to edify the believer and glorify God. Just saying/singing "Praise the Lord" is NOT praising the Lord.

It's no wonder that many Christian groups are revisiting old hymns. I don't like the real rock stuff and I value what's left of my hearing.
Contemporary christian music has been a life-saver for me across the last two years. It has been manifestly edifying to my spirit ... in ways that none of my traditional worship did.

The beauty of contemporary christian music ... is that it's fresh, heart-felt, and 24/7 ...

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Interesting post, thanks for sharing your question. Could you share some specific examples? I'm with @SkyWriting on my naivete about this; I've heard a bit of Hillsong, but I just don't care for the Christian genre. Black Sabbath has a few solidly Christian songs (debate me here: Should Christian music be edgier? ), John Michael Talbot has an awesome Christian album called "Monk Rock", and there's other Christian songs that sneak into classic rock; Christian Classic Rock . I like to listen to hard-hitting Christian rap when I'm playing violent video games; it helps whip up energy, while still reminding me of someone higher that I should be fighting for. Personally, I don't listen too much to lyrics anyway; I know that at least a few Christian rap songs I like have Protestant doctrine that I consider heretical, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm listening to something honoring Christ. In any case, would you rather I listen to secular music over music that contains heresies?

How can we tell what's heretical? Jesus, by acting as in love as a gentleman, is bound when we don't let Him out into the world. But God is Almighty, and can do everything, regardless of us! But God works through us, so......you see how this can go? Arguments based on the Bible alone are endless, because humans have a seemingly infinite capacity to find new details & spin new stories. Whether or not we're trying to make things excessively complicated, it happens when we separate ourselves from the teaching authorities that Jesus has put in place; Why I Choose Catholic Christianity

In any case, context is important to remember, and can influence the way that sentences come off. Music may give mixed ideas of theology, but so do we; where do we draw the line? I don't have any conclusive thoughts, I just thought I should raise some questions that should be pondered.

May we continue to appreciate all of God's blessings!:pray:

I couldn't care less about genre, personally. I've listened to pop, rock, rap, contemporary, country, etc, etc. And I have no issue with secular music, either, if it's clean. I actually mostly listen to classical music - some of those old composers had pretty messed up personal lives, by the way.

However, you seem to imply that even heresy can be honoring to Christ... If it's leading people into confusion, I don't see much good about that. Out of naivete, I don't think it's a huge issue. But if it's because of laziness in actually studying Scripture, then it's not okay.

I was specifically thinking of when Jesus says that even if the people didn't praise him the rocks would cry out. The "Palm Sunday scene". I'm pretty sure that if every Christian was disobedient, Jesus' plans wouldn't be thwarted. He'd find some way of "moving" regardless. My concern about that particular line is that the author is from a country where worshiping human-like gods is still common, and I'm concerned that some of that background has bled into this song and makes Jesus look too human and not enough God. If that makes sense...

I'm not here to debate: "it happens when we separate ourselves from the teaching authorities that Jesus has put in place". Maybe another day. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Contemporary christian music has been a life-saver for me across the last two years. It has been manifestly edifying to my spirit ... in ways that none of my traditional worship did.

The beauty of contemporary christian music ... is that it's fresh, heart-felt, and 24/7 ...

I see value in both. Lately the contemporary music has felt very shallow and banal to me as well, but I think that's because I've dug deeper in theology than they usually address. In contrast, old hymns to tend to take on weighty and difficult subjects more often. I'm referring mainly to congregational contemporary music. Contemporary albums have deep music, I'm sure, but it often doesn't make it into the church services.

On the other hand, I write my own worshipful music which I guess would be considered contemporary. I also rework old hymns sometimes.

Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
However, you seem to imply that even heresy can be honoring to Christ... If it's leading people into confusion, I don't see much good about that. Out of naivete, I don't think it's a huge issue. But if it's because of laziness in actually studying Scripture, then it's not okay.
I'm not saying that heresy is honoring God; I'm trying to say that honoring God is more important than what we can consider heretical. I know very godly people who subscribe to some heresies, and less godly people who seem to have all their doctrine in order, who have all the correct teachings, but they're jerks about it. Proper doctrine matters, but I don't think it's as important as proper lifestyle or proper intentions.

On the other hand, I write my own worshipful music which I guess would be considered contemporary. I also rework old hymns sometimes.
Cool! Could you share what you've done?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Through copyright laws every time your church sings their songs their churches get a chunk of cash. If you see no harm in supporting those Churches that spread false doctrine, then have at it.

Church services are exempt from copyright law.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Aussie Pete I am with you there all the way.
When I sing to the Lord I want it to not only doctrinally sound, but truly meaningful.

Also repeating phrases over and over again to get people psyched up is not worship and smacks of tactics used by hypnotists.

Since I don't find the churches mentioned in the OP to be sound, I certainly wouldn't be listening or singing their songs.

Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting post, thanks for sharing your question. Could you share some specific examples?

Have a listen to P̶a̶u̶l̶ ̶W̶a̶s̶h̶e̶r̶ (correction, Justin Peters) and this other pastor:

I know other Christians who are starting to speak out against music by these churches. And I can't ignore their voices anymore, it is somewhat unsettling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you Willing heart for posting these two videos.
Christian's need to be discerning more than ever before and there's no grey areas with God.

It is either sound doctrine or not.

We have to stop being so inclusive just because something declares itself Christian.

I have experienced this recently in a series I was watching where I had to decide where I stood, and I think we are going to experience this more and more in the latter days.

So reading and studying, and obeying the Bible is vital in these latter days.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Their songs are rather narcissistic focusing mostly on the person singing. I find the music hauntingly beautiful but the words boastful and sometimes very wrong about down to being insulting to God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not saying that heresy is honoring God; I'm trying to say that honoring God is more important than what we can consider heretical. I know very godly people who subscribe to some heresies, and less godly people who seem to have all their doctrine in order, who have all the correct teachings, but they're jerks about it. Proper doctrine matters, but I don't think it's as important as proper lifestyle or proper intentions.

Cool! Could you share what you've done?
Sure! You can find my music here. I'm actually hoping to finish one today that I began years ago as a teenager. While I usually write completely new music, I had a lot of old half-finished songs that I decided to focus on reworking and finishing this year.

I tend to choose obscure hymns when I rework old ones, so you may not recognize them. I often tweak the verses to modernize some of the language and for some I even re-order the verses completely. For most of those I also compose an entirely new tune.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm just curious to know what some of you think regarding these things. Please share in all honesty in love and truth. God bless.

The bible encourages us towards 'sound doctrine' (Titus 2:1). Therefore if we knowingly sing songs with false doctrine, use worship materials that promote false gospels or provide revenue to false teachers and wolves I think we are on very dangerous ground. Discernment is more than it sounds good, it's superficially appealing to the senses and it tags mention of a Jesus in somewhere.

The bible tells us that Satan masquerades as a angel of light. The bible also tells us that some 'Christian' teachers come with a different gospel, a different Jesus, operating in a different Spirit. We are not to put up with it (2 Corinthians 11:4-5).

Test everything, be careful! Do not follow the crowd in doing the wrong thing (Exodus 23:2) God Bless :)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know other Christians who are starting to speak out against music by these churches. And I can't ignore their voices anymore, it is somewhat unsettling.

Here's another of a similar ilk:

God Bless :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.