Los Angeles
✟16,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A while back, my husband and I got in an argument about his ex-girlfriend and how I felt like he went above and beyond for her - more than for me.. Well, while we were working through that issue, he mentioned that his ex had emailed congratulating him on getting married. He explained that he didn't even write back - to prove a point that she doesn't mean anything to him now etc. Fast forward a little over a year and we have a baby. I found out the ex emailed him congratulating him about the baby and he emailed back to thank her for the email. The context of the email was simply that and nothing more.. but it still bothers me. Am I overreacting?

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: mama2one

Darwin's Myth

May 4, 2018
Milan
✟1,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A while back, my husband and I got in an argument about his ex and how I felt like he went above and beyond for her - more than for me.. Well, while we were working through that issue, he mentioned that his ex had emailed congratulating him on getting married. He explained that he didn't even write back - to prove a point that she doesn't mean anything to him now etc. Fast forward a little over a year and we have a baby. I found out the ex emailed him congratulating him about the baby and he emailed back to thank her for the email. The context of the email was simply that and nothing more.. but it still bothers me. Am I overreacting?

IMO, unless your husband and his ex have children together, I don't understand why they'd even want to talk to each other, since he's now married to you. Your husband should be aware of your feelings. Also, at the moment, if the email is the only way they've contacted each other, and there was only a "congratulations" and a "thank you" involved, then stay calm.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A while back, my husband and I got in an argument about his ex and how I felt like he went above and beyond for her - more than for me.. Well, while we were working through that issue, he mentioned that his ex had emailed congratulating him on getting married. He explained that he didn't even write back - to prove a point that she doesn't mean anything to him now etc. Fast forward a little over a year and we have a baby. I found out the ex emailed him congratulating him about the baby and he emailed back to thank her for the email. The context of the email was simply that and nothing more.. but it still bothers me. Am I overreacting?
I agree with what Darwin’s Myth said.
I also think it says something good about your relationship that your husband is not trying to hide these e-mails. It all sounds fairly innocent and courteous from what you have described.

[EDIT: I agree that since this makes you uncomfortable that he should not communicate with her, but the extent of the communication described is at the level of courtesy only and not worrisome in my opinion (for whatever that is worth).]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

How you react to his previous relationships will absolutely effect what you can
get out of him. How you handle it will determine full commitment,
or just a alimony check in your future. Which you might be writing...depends.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its his wife who should be wise and avoid suspicious mind.

Maybe. We don't get alot from the post to really judge that. We don't know the dynamics of this relationship. We also need to keep in mind courtesy and consideration for all.

I don't think it is asking to much for him to politely ask the X-wife to please stop contacting him. If they have no children? It's really not needed. That is unless there is other type of circumstance we don't know about.

If they have children? They have to due to visitation, etc. They do have to keep things good for the children. Although, there is a tactful way of 'congratulating' him on his child in that circumstance as well.

Something like this:

Johnny has a soccer practice schedule change. It was to be Tuesday at 4, and coach said he needs to move it to Wednesday. I wanted to let you know in case you were not aware. Johnny also mentioned that you and your wife have had your baby. My congratulations to you both.

That it. Nothing more. The X was letting him know of a schedule change, and acknowledging the event at the same time. Adults that are able to have a decent relationship due to the children? That type of interaction is fine, and helps the children feel more secure. They don't need friction between the two families. You do it for the consideration of your children, because this will be a sibling.

Reactions: R. Hartono
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yes you are overreacting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
. Well, while we were working through that issue, he mentioned that his ex had emailed congratulating him on getting married. I found out the ex emailed him congratulating him about the baby and he emailed back to thank her for the email. ?

can't tell if you just had your baby or not but congratulations!

can't tell by the info given if you are overreacting or not but hoping you can put this behind you and work on memories, solidifying your relationship between husband and you, and enjoy your little one
blessings

Last edited:
Reactions: Taryn12
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, if I had an ex, and if my current wife felt uncomfortable with me communicating with her, then I don't think I should communicate with her.
I realize I'm going against the grain on this one, but I disagree. Just b/c a spouse is uncomfortable with something, IMO, doesn't mean it ought to be avoided. Instead....I believe both should resolve the issue of *why* the spouse is uncomfortable (if possible).

What I mean is, typically a spouse wouldn't think twice about communication like that if the overall marital relationship is free from insecurities. Taryn.....has your husband given you reason to doubt his faithfulness? Do you believe you're his top priority and closest companion? The fact is....this DOES seem to bother you. I guess a better question is, "why?".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's weird that she is contacting him....and the problem lies with her doing that. ...there's just no need to do that out of the blue unless they are current friends with current friendship communication. All you can do is let your husband know that it bothers you and then trust him. If he's telling you when she does contact him; then that's a good thing and he's not trying to hide it. If he knows it bothers you, then he shouldn't be contacting her especially if they are out of each other's lives/not current friends. I don't know if you are over reacting or not, but if it concerns you - it's not wrong to talk to your husband about it and ask him to not contact her anymore.

Reactions: Darwin's Myth
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have an ex-husband and we don’t share kids. He sent me congrats on the birth of my son and congrats on something else (for the life of me, I can’t remember what). I sent him congrats on his marriage and the birth of his first. If we are being technical, he did the first congrats, I did the second, he did the next, I did the one after. My ex and I had a very amicable divorce and after he sent me congrats on my son, it reaffirmed we had a cordial, polite relationship, so I returned the congrats for his life events until a lack of major life events caused it to dwindle off. My second (current) husband didn’t care in the least.

In my opinion, as written, it is an overreaction on your part and not really your place to tell him he can’t talk to somebody over such a passive, bland, interaction. If it was more than “Hey congrats!” and “thanks!” then I’d say there’s a reason to say you don’t feel comfortable with their talking. But a general sentiment that total strangers will shower on you anytime you go in public? No, you can’t and shouldn’t put down a command like that. Like the previous poster, I think the solution is investigating and solving why you view it as such a threat.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Darwin's Myth

May 4, 2018
Milan
✟1,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have an ex-husband and we don’t share kids. He sent me congrats on the birth of my son and congrats on something else (for the life of me, I can’t remember what). I sent him congrats on his marriage and the birth of his first. If we are being technical, he did the first congrats, I did the second, he did the next, I did the one after. My ex and I had a very amicable divorce and after he sent me congrats on my son, it reaffirmed we had a cordial, polite relationship, so I returned the congrats for his life events until a lack of major life events caused it to dwindle off. My second (current) husband didn’t care in the least.

In my opinion, as written, it is an overreaction on your part and not really your place to tell him he can’t talk to somebody over such a passive, bland, interaction. If it was more than “Hey congrats!” and “thanks!” then I’d say there’s a reason to say you don’t feel comfortable with their talking. But a general sentiment that total strangers will shower on you anytime you go in public? No, you can’t and shouldn’t put down a command like that. Like the previous poster, I think the solution is investigating and solving why you view it as such a threat.
There's a big difference between your situation and the situation of Taryn12. Your husband doesn't care... but Taryn12 does care. Everyone's different and her spouse should be more sensitive to Taryn12's feelings and not his ex-wife's need to keep in contact. If he wants to keep in contact with his ex, then maybe he shouldn't have divorced her.

As I said before... if it's just a "Congratulations", and a "Thank you"... then that's seems innocent enough. But, there's a time when contact needs to end between former lovers.

My own personal story... Brian knew my wife before I married her, but Brian was a very bad person. He got hired where I was working, and said "hi" to me, and then he said, he was going to call my wife and say,"hi". I told him right then... "Don't you dare call her". I shut that down, right then and there. Some people just don't understand what being married means.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Being married means doesn’t mean that you’ve now entered into a warden/jailer contract where all communications with all people can only occur with the approval and permission of your spouse. Because OP is bothered doesn’t mean he must fix it. People get bothered for unfounded, irrational, or “incorrect” reasons all the time and simply responding by giving in doesn’t solve the problem. In many cases, it makes the problem worse.

In a situation where one has an ex, you have to accept that for a period of time, your partner had a life that intertwined with somebody that wasn’t you. They shared friends, social circles, get to know family members, life events, and experiences... And that’s totally OK. That’s not something you can hold against your partner. Who says contact has to end? Plenty of people have relationships with people and realize that the relationship was a bust but a friendship is fine. In this case, it’s not even a friendship. It’s a polite nothing, an expression of a sentiment. He probably got the email just before a similar sentiment from Babies R Us and just after the invite from Ben and Jerry’s for a free, celebratory cone. It’s the absolute most passive, non-intimate way to express the feelings of the moment.

If an ex adds their name to the chorus of emails, letters, and personal congrats that come with major life events like marriage and baby... Well, good for them. Not only is it good etiquette, but it’s a testimony to the type of guy she married as most people don’t make it through a breakup where we’d be cordial enough to share such polite nothings. It means he’s a decent guy who still has the respect of somebody after what was probably a not-so-fun thing to go through. It’s quite a statement as to his conduct and his character.

As long as there isn’t some sort of other shoe here (he cheated with her, the congrats came with a hint at something inappropriate, or the response was hinting at something inappropriate), there is absolutely nothing wrong with the email “congrats” and the response “thanks.” OP said the full context of both emails was nothing but that. Celebrate the new family, a husband who is open and honest (another testimony to his character), and move along with life. The ex is an ex for a reason, and the wife is the mother of his child for a reason. The ex will fade back into the woodwork until the next life event while OP will keep building a life with her husband. Clear winner here is the wife.

I applaud the OP for considering that her response may be off to the situation and taking a pause. Seems like despite the hiccup, they have actually really open communication. Lots of people come on here and get upset that they make the demand their spouse doesn’t get because it’s a bit out there and their spouses respond by saying “yeah sure, won’t do it again” and then make a mental note that if the ex emails to not mention it (regardless of if they reply or not).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Taryn12

Nov 9, 2017
Los Angeles
✟16,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello and thank you very much for the input. I agree being married doesn't mean you need to cut off contact with certain people. I don't expect him to. However, to give more details, I found some old love letters during our move that really upset me during the last month of my pregnancy(among other things, found out from the letter that he gifted the ex girlfriend a custom engagement ring to try to win her back. My ring doesn't fit me because we got a discounted one and they're unable to resize it without possibly damaging the band). Anyway, I developed a very serious condition, possibly from the emotional distress and had to be induced. A month after our baby was born, she emailed saying congrats and he just simply thanked her. I would be ok with him contacting an ex but given the circumstances with what I went through with the pregnancy and the fact that he said he didn't respond to a previous email because that relationship doesn't mean anything to him anymore (why respond this time?), I feel it was inappropriate for him to write back. Perhaps I am overreacting - it's been a rough few months with the lack of sleep and adjusting to life with a new baby. I just can't help but feel hurt..

Being married means doesn’t mean that you’ve now entered into a warden/jailer contract where all communications with all people can only occur with the approval and permission of your spouse. Because OP is bothered doesn’t mean he must fix it. People get bothered for unfounded, irrational, or “incorrect” reasons all the time and simply responding by giving in doesn’t solve the problem. In many cases, it makes the problem worse.

In a situation where one has an ex, you have to accept that for a period of time, your partner had a life that intertwined with somebody that wasn’t you. They shared friends, social circles, get to know family members, life events, and experiences... And that’s totally OK. That’s not something you can hold against your partner. Who says contact has to end? Plenty of people have relationships with people and realize that the relationship was a bust but a friendship is fine. In this case, it’s not even a friendship. It’s a polite nothing, an expression of a sentiment. He probably got the email just before a similar sentiment from Babies R Us and just after the invite from Ben and Jerry’s for a free, celebratory cone. It’s the absolute most passive, non-intimate way to express the feelings of the moment.

If an ex adds their name to the chorus of emails, letters, and personal congrats that come with major life events like marriage and baby... Well, good for them. Not only is it good etiquette, but it’s a testimony to the type of guy she married as most people don’t make it through a breakup where we’d be cordial enough to share such polite nothings. It means he’s a decent guy who still has the respect of somebody after what was probably a not-so-fun thing to go through. It’s quite a statement as to his conduct and his character.

As long as there isn’t some sort of other shoe here (he cheated with her, the congrats came with a hint at something inappropriate, or the response was hinting at something inappropriate), there is absolutely nothing wrong with the email “congrats” and the response “thanks.” OP said the full context of both emails was nothing but that. Celebrate the new family, a husband who is open and honest (another testimony to his character), and move along with life. The ex is an ex for a reason, and the wife is the mother of his child for a reason. The ex will fade back into the woodwork until the next life event while OP will keep building a life with her husband. Clear winner here is the wife.

I applaud the OP for considering that her response may be off to the situation and taking a pause. Seems like despite the hiccup, they have actually really open communication. Lots of people come on here and get upset that they make the demand their spouse doesn’t get because it’s a bit out there and their spouses respond by saying “yeah sure, won’t do it again” and then make a mental note that if the ex emails to not mention it (regardless of if they reply or not).

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was this an ex-girlfriend or an ex-wife? An ex-gf shouldn't be contacting her married ex-bf or keeping tabs of his life events.......even for boring congrats. An ex-wife; I can sort of understand- just sort of a well wish type thing. Perhaps he was just trying to be polite by responding.

Upvote 0

Taryn12

Nov 9, 2017
Los Angeles
✟16,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ex-girlfriend (although they were 'almost engaged'). Yes, I would understand (more) if it was an ex-wife..

Was this an ex-girlfriend or an ex-wife? An ex-gf shouldn't be contacting her married ex-bf or keeping tabs of his life events.......even for boring congrats. An ex-wife; I can sort of understand- just sort of a well wish type thing. Perhaps he was just trying to be polite by responding.

Upvote 0