Should the Constitution be regularly revised?

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Our "rights" would be biblical based, not man based.

Would the 1st Amendment still be in effect? Which allows us to worship any god, many gods, or no god? And how about Article VI. Which forbids any religious test being required for any federal officeholder. Could non-Christians run for elected office, or be appointed to any government position?

Upvote 0

TRVL ONE

May 14, 2019
Austin
✟3,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Would the 1st Amendment still be in effect? Which allows us to worship any god, many gods, or no god? And how about Article VI. Which forbids any religious test being required for any federal officeholder. Could non-Christians run for elected office, or be appointed to any government position?

I'm talking about having a Christian country, not what we have now.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Founders did not want America to be a Christian nation, although the majority of them certainly wanted America to be a nation of Christians. Those are two different things.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
As a Christian I believe there is no greater authority than the bible on all subjects. Therefore I put the bible above all man made ideas, and the bible was written by God through people.
So...
What’s the biblical basis for fractional-reserve banking?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TRVL ONE

May 14, 2019
Austin
✟3,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
You're funny. You know nothing of using the bible on every issue in life. It would take years for you to even begin to understand.

Only born again Christians understand spiritual matters and we know how to take every though captive and submit it to the will of God. These things are beyond your ability, because you are still blinded my the devil.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You're funny. You know nothing of using the bible on every issue in life. It would take years for you to even begin to understand.

Okay. I’ll accept that.

But, tangentially, how did Christianity survive the four centuries, without the Bible?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Contrary to what the OP concluded, I have to question whether "The logic is pretty solid."

The framers of the Constitution correctly asserted that there are natural rights that are eternal, inherent, and even God-given. They were, in fact, the culmination of centuries of progress in Western law and thought.

To put all of that on the chopping block for the sake of whatever is trending intellectually at the moment, and among the people who would get to draft the changes in particular...would be a big mistake.

I think you're mistaking the Constitution with the Declaration of Independence.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Constitution is the foundation of our government. What's sound is the concept that the Constitution is reviewed on a regular schedule. Just like it would be prudent to inspect your home's foundation every 5 to 10 years. If everything is tight and dry with no cracks, then leave it alone. It should never be required that the Constitution be rewritten. But--just like a regular home inspection--it's a sensible idea to maintain the Constitution in optimal shape to deal with changing conditions. But I'd agree that operationally, it could easily be disastrous. And given the political climate, would be almost certainly impossible to carry out.
The Constitution already builds in such adjustments. When there is a sufficient call or need for change, the provision exists for amending the document--just as we have done over 20 times in our history. But to throw the whole thing open for change on an arbitrary schedule, regardless of what is happening in the world or nation, is not a good idea.

Upvote 0

TRVL ONE

May 14, 2019
Austin
✟3,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Okay. I’ll accept that.

But, tangentially, how did Christianity survive the four centuries, without the Bible?

Okay enlighten me what were these 4 centuries? Are you talking about the time before the biblical canon? I'm not an expert on church history, but I would imagine that Christians gathered together and they probably talked about more than the weather or the newest recipe for food. They spoke about the Old Testament and other writing after the OT. Even if I was an expert in early church history, how much of history can I trust? People lie

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Okay. I’ll accept that.

When we say that, we are saying that it was only in the fourth century that all the books were gathered together into one volume and the church's stamp of approval put on it.

The books themselves had long been recognized as inspired and were in use in the churches of the Christian world.

• Prayers
Reactions: jayem
Upvote 0

TRVL ONE

May 14, 2019
Austin
✟3,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I think you're mistaking the Constitution with the Declaration of Independence.

Either way. The point is the same. How much effort do you expect out of someone on a forum? Most of this isn't going to do anyone any good. It is not like we are organizing rallies or actually making a big difference however that might be done.

Maybe I failed this class in school?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,172,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have been watched all my life by the federal government. I don't have a problem with it. My freedom has not been reduced.
Do you imagine that will continue once they are in the business of punishing thought crimes in Christian Kampuchea?

Upvote 0