Should men support things that belittle them?

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Would you prefer to go back to the television shows of the 1950s when women were generally portrayed as being subordinate to men, when the father came home from work and solved all the family problems?
Now that was funny.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is that really on television?
Now I understand why feminism in the sixties worked in Holland but not in the States. American men don't let themselves be belittled. Dutch men embraced feminism.
Or maybe they did it different.
I post a lot on singles. I see guys want to provide, expect a sandwich. Dutch men think: that's stupid. Work your socks off for a stupid sandwich you can make yourself. Let her arrange the income too so you can have a relax day with your kids and put some food in the microwave.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
As a male I think I enjoy a very privileged position in western society.

Far from being hostile it seems as if I've got it made.

Well, there isn't necessarily any good reason to accept hostility over alleged privileges, particularly if the framework used to determine whether you have privileges or not is faulty.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well, there isn't necessarily any good reason to accept hostility over alleged privileges, particularly if the framework used to determine whether you have privileges or not is faulty.

But I've not had any hostility directed my way. Nobody has ever said "you've got it easy, mate".

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The privilege of working your socks off. I don't want That privilege. It's called a curse in Genesis. Ha feminists want That privilege too.
Doesn't most everyone work their socks off?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I would also like to participate in the competition for the status of being belittled, oppressed, victim. My ultimate goal is to be able to consider myself persecuted.
Can someone help me - white, male, middle-class - by supplying arguments I could use?

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't most everyone work their socks off?
No Dutch women don't. We work parttime so we have time to have fun. Dutch men Often work 4 days a week and have a day to go fishing with the kids. I can work 4 days and have a big house and a car or 3 and have a Tiny apartment and a bike. I prefer the latter. Free time is valued more than luxury here.

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
No Dutch women don't. We work parttime so we have time to have fun. Dutch men Often work 4 days a week and have a day to go fishing with the kids. I can work 4 days and have a big house and a car or 3 and have a Tiny apartment and a bike. I prefer the latter. Free time is valued more than luxury here.
All I can say is WOW.

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Can someone help me - white, male, middle-class - by supplying arguments I could use?

I'm afraid you're destined to call your first born a pretentious name and not like merlot.

:)

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And your cluster of countries is home to the happiest people on Earth. I think you guys have got it figured out.

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Would you prefer to go back to the television shows of the 1950s when women were generally portrayed as being subordinate to men, when the father came home from work and solved all the family problems?

Back to the days when women weren't chasing after the almighty dollar, respect was endemic in society and children behaved more often than not.

I don't know if I could handle such a mythical time and place. I would miss teh intehne.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Back to the days when women weren't chasing after the almighty dollar, respect was endemic in society and children behaved more often than not.

I don't know if I could handle such a mythical time and place. I would miss teh intehne.

Ah yes, a mythical time and place! Women were expected to stay home, do the cooking, claening and make babies. http://www.colorado.edu/AmStudies/lewis/1025/women1950s.pdf White men were respected, but if you were black you had to sit in the back of the bus and use your own bathrooms and drinking fountains. http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/remembering/laws.html Chrldren were better behaved? Maybe, or perhaps bad behavior was just hidden. http://msmagazine.com/blog/2010/04/15/what-was-so-great-about-the-1950s/

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Ah yes, a mythical time and place! Women were expected to stay home, do the cooking, claening and make babies.
Don't knock it too much. It had it's drawbacks--it could be dreary for intelligent women. But across cultures and down through time a division of labor between the sexes has been the norm. Our own culture is not pristine -- we have our own drawbacks. For example, now you have no one at home parenting the kids, and you have a generation of little brats who have grown up to be immature adults.

Upvote 0