should Israel take part in the Eurovision Song Contest this year?

should Israel take part?

• Total voters

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟15,719.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
now i am interested in your votes!
in a perfect world, certainly but now with all the protests against Israel, I am worried there could be acts of terrorism, If they participate I hope security will be appropriate. Is this competition worth all the security risks for now?

blessings

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟154,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
already protests have started

but i am for Israel taking part
Well, the name Eurovision originally means for Europe, so no. Israel, as well as Palestine are part of Western part of the Asian continent from a purely geographical perspective. So, if someone wants to start an Asiavision, then Israel (or even Palestine, or both) can participate.

Just being pragmatic. :)

From: https://embassies.gov.il/MFA/AboutIsrael/Maps/Pages/Israel-and-the-Region.aspx
1715294762644.png

1715294466866.png

Upvote 0

Uriah S

Stand ready in prayer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2019
Scotland
✟304,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
Well, the name Eurovision originally means for Europe, so no. Israel, as well as Palestine are part of Western part of the Asian continent from a purely geographical perspective. So, if someone wants to start an Asiavision, then Israel (or even Palestine, or both) can participate.

Just being pragmatic. :)

From: https://embassies.gov.il/MFA/AboutIsrael/Maps/Pages/Israel-and-the-Region.aspx
View attachment 347541

View attachment 347540
to be fair, I think you're answering a different question, one that was relevant 50 years ago. Israel has participated 45 times since 1973. Hey, Australia has participated 9 times. I don't have a problem with either, "in the spirit of Eurovision".
in a perfect world, certainly but now with all the protests against Israel, I am worried there could be acts of terrorism, If they participate I hope security will be appropriate. Is this competition worth all the security risks for now?

blessings
I'd say that if there could be acts of terrorism, that's a bigger problem than whether Israel participates or not. I'm not for giving in to terrorist demands, and I'm not for being fearful of the "could be"s.

Just my two shekels worth

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟106,207.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
to be fair, I think you're answering a different question, one that was relevant 50 years ago. Israel has participated 45 times since 1973. Hey, Australia has participated 9 times. I don't have a problem with either, "in the spirit of Eurovision".

I'd say that if there could be acts of terrorism, that's a bigger problem than whether Israel participates or not. I'm not for giving in to terrorist demands, and I'm not for being fearful of the "could be"s.

Just my two shekels worth
you are well informed!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟154,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand, but it is kinda unfair for the countries that are part of Europe to have to compete with non-European countries, or flip it the other way around. It would be unfair for Israel to compete against a musical powerhouse such as Britain or Sweden. Yeah, this other question goes back a half-century (twice my age), but is important in the scheme of accuracy. What if the USA gets added to Eurovision in the future, or China? We would not want Taylor Swift or the Chinese to take the wins from the Europeans. But hey, I do not follow music competitions.

Notice how Sweden and Ireland have 7 wins, while Israel (Asia) has 4 wins, while Georgia (Asia), Armenia (Asia) and Australia has 0 wins, as of 2023? Also on the other side of the coin, Israel (Asia) has 4 more wins compared to Poland (Europe), Romania (Europe) or Bulgaria (Europe) which all have 0 wins.
1715299812353.png

But, a great concept for a global music festival could be one where there could be winners from each of the 5 or 6 inhabited continents: Africa, Asia/Australia, Europe, North America, and South America. At the end of the competition, 6 winners could be announced, each one representing his/her own continent, and his/her own country within said continents.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟106,207.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I understand, but it is kinda unfair for the countries that are part of Europe to have to compete with non-European countries, or flip it the other way around. It would be unfair for Israel to compete against a musical powerhouse such as Britain or Sweden. Yeah, this other question goes back a half-century (twice my age), but is important in the scheme of accuracy. What if the USA gets added to Eurovision in the future, or China? We would not want Taylor Swift or the Chinese to take the wins from the Europeans. But hey, I do not follow music competitions.

Notice how Sweden and Ireland have 7 wins, while Israel (Asia) has 4 wins, while Georgia (Asia), Armenia (Asia) and Australia has 0 wins, as of 2023? Also on the other side of the coin, Israel (Asia) has 4 more wins compared to Poland (Europe), Romania (Europe) or Bulgaria (Europe) which all have 0 wins.
View attachment 347546

But, a great concept for a global music festival could be one where there could be winners from each of the 5 or 6 inhabited continents: Africa, Asia/Australia, Europe, North America, and South America. At the end of the competition, 6 winners could be announced, each one representing his/her own continent, and his/her own country within said continents.
you are off topic!

Upvote 0