Tulsa
✟10,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey all question. I built a house some 35 years ago and the cost including the land was around $130,000. Over the years I put around $20,000 in improvements. I sold the house for around $320,000 and my wife feels we should pay a tithe on the sale. What are your thoughts?
Let me ask you a question. Do you tithe (10%) on the first fruits of your increase when it comes to other areas?

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
We should give more than just 10% if we could afford it, not to the rich Church but to the Poor Lazarus waiting for mercy in front of the Rich Man's table

Question,by giving to the poor, who gets the glory you or God?

Upvote 0

Fish Catcher Jim

Radically Saved
Feb 19, 2015
SW MI for now
✟19,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to debate this,I personally believe tithing was established before the Law.
It was!!
Tithing is Honoring God with your substance and some would do good to remember that without God's Grace they would not even have what they think they have.
Blessings

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Matt 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your FATHER IN HEAVEN.

Matthew 5: 16. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Exactly your good works ,or deeds are not limited to giving.
We are created for good works.
By giving only to who you choose to give to,does not support the full spectrum of this verse, but it is a convenient answer with a partial meaning.
Setting a example could mean your light would shine for support of missions.
It could mean walking in a manner that is pleasing to God.
Since all that you have past present and future, was given by God
Do you suppose your light could shine out of by not letting God's house suffer lack?
Do you suppose you could visit the sick?
Help the Church with good deeds like cleaning the bathroom?
When you discourage titheing, others are watching your deed.
Soon enough missions are gone ,the House of God looks like a home in the dump.
So what did our Lord think of the Temple,when the money changers were there?

1 Corinthians 9: 13. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the alter are partakers with the alter? 14. Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
Give to the poor ,heal the sick,visit the widows and give your tithe and offerings to God's house then your light will shine a bit brighter.
Or do it your way and set a example.
After all the poor will always be with you.
Obedience can be a blessing if you understand you do not choose your good works but God has chosen you for his good works ,and works is pleural

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
The promise of the devourer rebuked is what motivates me to tithe and call it "tithe". I know there is a lot of scripture that people cite to argue that the tithe is obsolete but I am unable to get past that one point. Intuitively, it seems that with the New Covenant, being a better covenant, the OT requirements could be a minimum that would be chosen for a giving program.

Amen, that one point is a big one.
We may never know what we were saved from, because God stopped it due to our obedience.
You make a great point as well ,by stating we have a better covenant.
The new Testament has other promises on giving, that I believe Jessie Duplantis does a good job on teaching about.
It seems our friend with his house ,has been disregarded due to the usual influx of people who are against titheing.
I find it odd just because we believe in it ,they come out of the woods to bash it.
It's non of their business what we give ,but they seek to disprove it to the point it is telling about their nature.
Or they are being convicted over it.
Romans 14: 22. Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. 23. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
Our friends here that simply say they do not agree and leave it at that are not under conviction ,because they walk by Faith.
Besides who knows how much our friends give anyway?
Possibly more than us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I think tithing has changed is all. It has gone from a law of 10% to giving as stated in 1 Cor 9:7 and as Holy Spirit directs. Giving should very much be a part of the new testament believer. It is not not a set amount and can vary from month to month.

Well your thread got a bit derailed.
My apologies, I know your question was sincere.
God Bless

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

The Devil is a liar most certainly, no thanks I will stay with titheing.
But this has grown long in the tooth.
You are not of our faith group,and debating is against Fourm rules.
You are welcome here to share the good news any time.
God Bless

Upvote 0

PastorJoey

Veteran
Oct 6, 2005
Post, TX.
Visit site
✟13,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hey all question. I built a house some 35 years ago and the cost including the land was around $130,000. Over the years I put around $20,000 in improvements. I sold the house for around $320,000 and my wife feels we should pay a tithe on the sale. What are your thoughts?
You wouldn’t necessarily need to tithe providing the increase (profit) goes back into the new home. How would you figure it anyway? Cost of living has changed lots in 35 years which reflects the value of your home. You could give a generous offering 5%, 10% or more to your church and fruitful ministry, but I don’t see it as tithe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am going to give you an economist answer. $130,000 35 years ago is equal to $341,000 today. Inflation has reduced your gain to nothing. You paid 135,000 in 1983 dollars and sold in 2018 dollars. A dollar is no longer the same. If you bought another house today, then you basically have no gain, you simply traded one house for another. My accounting answer also provides some thought. You paid taxes and insurance that allowed you to finally take a profit. Thus, you could subtract those expenses. If I sold cars for a living, I would not tithe on the gross revenue. I would subtract out interest, and ALL expenses. Spiritually, you need to work with your wife, and come to some cheerful agreement. Certainly there are some desperate ministries out there that could use funding but I do not think you are obligated. Still, I do not wish you or anyone ever be talked out of a blessing. Laying up treasure in heaven is never wrong. Here is the inflation calculator I used. https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
You wouldn’t necessarily need to tithe providing the increase (profit) goes back into the new home. How would you figure it anyway? Cost of living has changed lots in 35 years which reflects the value of your home. You could give a generous offering 5%, 10% or more to your church and fruitful ministry, but I don’t see it as tithe.

Pastor Joey, thank you for your input here.
I have a question.
It seems God used gold as a means of moneratary exchange since Abraham's time.
Live Stock and produce along with fur or weapons was traded as well.
How do we determine our first fruits in today's monetary system ?
We buy and sell , would the profit be considered first fruit , or the gross revenue?
I hate to reduce This to a business notion, but our profit is gained from investments we have already paid titheing on.

With you having pastoral experience I realize that funding is needed to keep Church open.
Our Church had cut out Wednesday night service , and never had a Sunday night service.
The Church is paid for and land, but I feel with only Sunday morning services the overhead has diminished.
I have considered cutting back on the amount of my tithes.
Even with the cut back it would exceed 10% of my net income.
What's your opinion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PastorJoey

Veteran
Oct 6, 2005
Post, TX.
Visit site
✟13,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Pastor Joey, thank you for your input here.
I have a question.
It seems God used gold as a means of moneratary exchange since Abraham's time.
Live Stock and produce along with fur or weapons was traded as well.
How do we determine our first fruits in today's monetary system ?
We buy and sell , would the profit be considered first fruit , or the gross revenue?
I hate to reduce This to a business notion, but our profit is gained from investments we have already paid titheing on.

With you having pastoral experience I realize that funding is needed to keep Church open.
Our Church had cut out Wednesday night service , and never had a Sunday night service.
The Church is paid for and land, but I feel with only Sunday morning services the overhead has diminished.
I have considered cutting back on the amount of my tithes.
Even with the cut back it would exceed 10% of my net income.
What's your opinion?

Good question on the tithe, Proverbs says bring the tithe/first fruits of our INCREASE. That’s the profit. Ex. You pay $1000 for a car and spend $300 to fix it up and then sell it for $2000, you tithe off the $700 you profited. The $1000 you paid for the car and $300 you put into it should have already been tithe paid money. As for the second part, I hope I’m understanding your question right, -God doesn’t say tithe unless your church no longer has overhead. The tithe is more for your benefit than it is for your church. It represents your faithfulness to God and gratitude for what He has given. It insures the windows of Heaven are opened over your life. Mal. 3:10

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Good question on the tithe, Proverbs says bring the tithe/first fruits of our INCREASE. That’s the profit. Ex. You pay $1000 for a car and spend $300 to fix it up and then sell it for $2000, you tithe off the $700 you profited. The $1000 you paid for the car and $300 you put into it should have already been tithe paid money. As for the second part, I hope I’m understanding your question right, -God doesn’t say tithe unless your church no longer has overhead. The tithe is more for your benefit than it is for your church. It represents your faithfulness to God and gratitude for what He has given. It insures the windows of Heaven are opened over your life. Mal. 3:10

Thank You Pastor, first fruits of our increase makes sense.
When you said God does not say tithe unless your church has no overhead were you talking about a debt free Church?
Debt free Churches still have to pay bills, but are not under the pressure of a mortgage.
But if they want to grow in out reach the entire congregation has to move by Faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Personally I believe in supporting the Church I attend.
Sowing seed into worthy causes and ministries.
Alms for those in need.
And whenever the Spirit calls me to do somthing.
I do not tell anyone how much I give , because even a small sum God should recieve the Glory.

Pastor Joey is spot on, because it's about your heart toward money more than the need of it.
God blesses those in need no matter what any way, if their hearts are in the right place on the need.
I believe there are valid points in this thread to understand.
What I do not like is those who think that Churches only want your money.
Same goes for world wide ministries, it takes a huge sum to buy time in the television markets.

I do not watch Preachers who beg money for a half hour and do nothing for the Gospel.
I am glad to say the Word of Faith Preachers I like , Preach for the majority of the time and offer a book or CD at the end.
Every Church has a collection plate, and most at every service.
Considering the range of Word of Faith ministry I believe more people give from their heart rather than compulsory giving in other denomations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0