Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. I think I am considering secular art college less and less now. I know some Christian colleges offer art programs. I mostly do art for fun, but I'm considering incorporating faith into it too. Up until now, most of my artwork has been animal portraits. Maybe I can use animal characters to talk about faith.

While I am not a fan of Veggie Tales, I heard Veggies Tales was able to talk about faith in God's Word for kids. There are also Bible related cartoons out there, too. Like this one:

full

A while back I created a thread that is kind of creative. It is post an animal pic with a Scripture verse.

My best ones started in this post here:

Post an Animal Picture with a Verse, or Post a Verse About Animals.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm getting a really expensive art education to prepare for an art college / art career right now. My family, since I got accepted, keep telling me this is amazing and surely part of God's plan. But now I feel afraid it's not. I love art, have always been an artist, but I'm scared that unless I make religious art that I'm not really glorifying God and instead am just following selfish ambitions. I feel like it's wrong to make art for fun, too. If I am pursuing a secular art education instead of ministry or theology, am I really living for God in total surrender?

Another thing unrelated to me is the people here. Because it's a secular school, there are some students here that promote sinful activity (lots of support for LGBT and yoga here which I know is wrong) and wear demonic symbols on their clothes. I'm not the only Christian here but there are very few.

Should I quit? I don't want to, but I'm scared if not doing the right thing for Christ.

Keep going for it. Use that in which you have invested your time and money. Don't worry about people who promote things in which you do not believe. It is not our place to judge the hearts of men. Leave that to God. Paint what you want and give thanks to God for that ability and freedom.

You can glorify God in anything you choose to do. It's OK to have ambition. God wants you to succeed in life. Spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ along the way. Let the world see that you live a life of love. Do not judge. Do not hate. If you follow those commandments, then the image you project will appeal to other people. You will spread the Word of Christ through your life. There is no greater ministry.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Timothy 6 kind of leads me to believe that we should not chase after riches.
1 John 2:15-17 leads me to think that I should not love the things of this world.
This is why we should serve Christ and chase after His good ways in all we do and not chase after our own dreams of fame and fortune. I believe we should use our talents to give glory to the Lord and seek to live a humble and simple life in trying to reach the lost and in loving the poor.

Upvote 0

Salvadore

Feb 2, 2020
Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
You need to make a living. You could illustrate children's books or religious material. You could paint commissioned work or sculpture. There are lots of ways to serve God in your chosen profession. There are sinful people everywhere. Why not use the talent God has given you and be a good example to those around you. I am an amateur artist. Art is all around us. It is in furniture, buildings, clothing, paintings, sculpture. Do what you are passionate about. I wish you success and happiness and the strength to stay true to what you believe.

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟291,969.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
if God has given you ability in art then you should keep doing it and studying to hone your skills and do it to the best of your ability. it is glorifying to God to use the abilities He has given you. finish the art study I reckon then you have the qualification and who knows what God has lined up in the future using those abilities He gave you. you have the opportunity to study in an area you like.. not many people get that chance it is a gift from God that you can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chris35

May 27, 2018
Melbourne
✟55,554.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1Then the Lord said to Moses, 2“See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, 3and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills— 4to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, 5to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts.

If you want to incorporate faith into your art, what better way then to seek wisdom and skill from God.

If your serious about going in the art direction, I suggest that you keep praying that God help you hone your skills, ask that he give you wisdom and understanding in that area, so that you can glorify him through it.

I also suggest that you pray for opportunites to use your skills to help others. You may be suprised at the things that come along.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

thomas_t

Blessings Collector
Nov 9, 2019
Bamberg
✟33,904.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another thing unrelated to me is the people here. Because it's a secular school, there are some students here that promote sinful activity (lots of support for LGBT and yoga here which I know is wrong) and wear demonic symbols on their clothes.
thank you for sharing your story.
You disapprove of yoga? Don't go to yoga classes.
Disapprove of the fact that there are LGBT people around? And you find that sinful? And now you think you should be shunning them?
We should love our neighbour as we love ourselves. How would you feel if people shun you solely for you being a Christian? I would be terribly hurt.
Demonic symbols? You want to flee a sourrounding in which there are these things? Doesn't sound compelling to me.

Besides, if you are an artist, it's important to know what other abilities you might have, maybe you're also a good tech developper. If so, opting to pursue an arts career is like saying no to the many enterprises seeking software programmers and not finding anyone. For employers, this can be frustrating.
Or you are a nurse... and there is a terrible dearth of nurses in your country?
If arts, however, is the only field in which you can excel... this would indicate that you should pursue this career indeed, in my opinion. We should display the talents we have, in my opinion. Luke 8:16.
Since God is an artists, as @timothyu pointed out, arts can be useful indeed, I tguess.

Theology? It is also helpful to have theologians around that aren't dependant on theology to make a living. Independent theologians sharing out the bread of life without asking money for it are needed, in my opinion.

Thomas

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I know he's popular, but isn't there evidence he's a heretic?
C.S. Lewis’ Heretical Beliefs

There's evidence that he was Anglican. His beliefs easily fall within the range of beliefs considered acceptable within Anglican theology. I cannot think of anything in his writings that conflict with the Nicene or Apostles' Creeds, the Chalcedonian Definition, or the decisions of the early ecumenical councils.

Thus, while there are Christians who disagree with him on some points (I disagree with him on a couple of things!), he was not a heretic. He was remarkably orthodox, in the sense of expressing the ancient teachings of the church in 20th century language.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Should I quit? I don't want to, but I'm scared if not doing the right thing for Christ.

I can't give detailed advice about your college without having seen it. But I can say this: Art often gives me a stronger connection to God than a thousand sermons would do. I have on my desk right now two icons: one of Christ bringing Adam and Eve out of the place of the dead, and the other of Jesus asleep in the storm while the disciples implore him to wake up and calm the waters. Both speak to me in a deep way. I could think of many other examples. Some are "sacred" art, and some are "secular". "Secular" art can tell important truths too. God created all things, so in the end, all of creation is sacred; nothing is truly "secular". I encourage you to use your artistic gifts to the glory of God. A secular art education can be a ministry, and can be an expression of theology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm getting a really expensive art education to prepare for an art college / art career right now. My family, since I got accepted, keep telling me this is amazing and surely part of God's plan. But now I feel afraid it's not. I love art, have always been an artist, but I'm scared that unless I make religious art that I'm not really glorifying God and instead am just following selfish ambitions. I feel like it's wrong to make art for fun, too. If I am pursuing a secular art education instead of ministry or theology, am I really living for God in total surrender?

Another thing unrelated to me is the people here. Because it's a secular school, there are some students here that promote sinful activity (lots of support for LGBT and yoga here which I know is wrong) and wear demonic symbols on their clothes. I'm not the only Christian here but there are very few.

Let your light shine in the darkness. This is what Jesus Christ of Nazareth did for us. Do not be afraid to share your love and your faith with others. Jesus never said it would be easy He said to "do it". Paint, paint and paint!
Blessings

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

John42

Feb 15, 2020
Toronto
✟20,121.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I love graphic design, and just the other day God showed me a graphic design book...

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God isn't a slave-driver. Sure, he wants you to glorify him with the gifts he has given you, but consider the masters. Not everything Michelangelo or Donatello did was overtly religious. Before David or Moses could be sculpted, they had to learn how to sculpt. That meant sculpting the basic form of man and various objects, and not all of that could have been overtly religious. And consider what they're having you do in your classes. Most people don't make a good religious piece out of 20 minute-or-less sketching exercises. So develop yourself by drawing, and have fun doing it. When you've learned how to relax, you'll be more genuine. And that will be a better credit to your witness than a fear that paralyzes you, trust me on this. This isn't saying to abandon Biblical teachings, but it is recognizing that Jesus' burden is light (Matthew 11:28-30).

Doesn't sound all that different from when I was taking classes. I had to change careers, because I couldn't turn art into dollars myself, but I work in the technical field, and since there's no dress code I work with people like that every day. So I can't really say to quit because of them. You'll always have to deal with those kinds of people, whether they're wearing what you see them wearing on campus, or whether they're wearing suits.

One thing I will say - learn and become comfortable with the business side of art if you want to do art vocationally. Sell some work while you're still in school if you can, to get a taste. And realize how much work it will take you to pay off all that student debt. I didn't go to an expensive art school, so I thankfully didn't have that debt, but one of my instructors who did was still paying his off in his 40's or 50's, however old he was at the time. No joke.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi, @Sunflower Garden Hi; there's virtue in finishing what you started; and this does not mean that with a qualification and experience behind you that you won't be able to go on to do other things.

Good to keep the Lord in mind, prayerfully reading the Scriptures day by day.

Upvote 0