jtrevor99

Feb 24, 2017
Minnesota
✟15,755.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I normally don't splurge on decorations or artwork of any kind. But six months ago I saw a small bronze statue of a lion that I really liked, so I purchased it for display in my home.

Most visitors to my home haven't commented on it, or if they did, they've said they like it. But two have made comments that make me wonder if I should get rid of it.

The first called it a waste of the resources God gave me. I'm not a materialistic person, driving an 18 year old car and living below my means, and I own no other art. I also have enough left over to pay the bills, tithe and volunteer. So I can understand their point, but I'm not sure I agree with it.

The second comment is the one that really bothers me. Because the statue is fully anatomically correct, one person called it "inappropriate contentographic". It never occurred to me to think of it in those terms; I just appreciated that it was a realistic representation of one of God's most majestic creatures. But if it's going to be a stumbling block for anyone, or draw this kind of attention, perhaps I should get rid of it. I certainly do not want it to cause any kind of immoral thought.

So, what do you think?

You can see photos of (a more expensive version of) the statue here: Extra Large Wild African Lion On Prowl Wildlife Safari By Barye Bronze Sculptu | eBay

Reactions: Dreger

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I normally don't splurge on decorations or artwork of any kind. But six months ago I saw a small bronze statue of a lion that I really liked, so I purchased it for display in my home.

Most visitors to my home haven't commented on it, or if they did, they've said they like it. But two have made comments that make me wonder if I should get rid of it.

The first called it a waste of the resources God gave me. I'm not a materialistic person, driving an 18 year old car and living below my means, and I own no other art. I also have enough left over to pay the bills, tithe and volunteer. So I can understand their point, but I'm not sure I agree with it.

The second comment is the one that really bothers me. Because the statue is fully anatomically correct, one person called it "inappropriate contentographic". It never occurred to me to think of it in those terms; I just appreciated that it was a realistic representation of one of God's most majestic creatures. But if it's going to be a stumbling block for anyone, or draw this kind of attention, perhaps I should get rid of it. I certainly do not want it to cause any kind of immoral thought.

So, what do you think?

You can see photos of (a more expensive version of) the statue here: Extra Large Wild African Lion On Prowl Wildlife Safari By Barye Bronze Sculptu | eBay

Don't worry about it. People are projecting from the content of their hearts when they make those comments, and that's on them, not you.

Upvote 0

Angela James

Apr 8, 2017
New Jersey
✟15,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So, what do you think?

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
for the person who was having a hard time about it being "correct" you should tell them: "Sorry! I forgot to put the underwear on it before you came over! My bad!". :)
tulc(just a thought) :wave:

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So, what do you think?

To be honest they sound like petty people with nothing better to do. If you like it, keep it. If they don't like it then they don't have to come over. Your not being materialistic by buying it. Do they have smartphones? Tvs? Cable? Internet? Anything else? If so then they "materialistic" to.

Also whoever commented to you about the lions "genitals" being big, seems like they need prayer if offended by genitals on an animal. Then again we've met people like that who were offended some of my National Geographic Magazines had "inappropriate contentography" because it shown tribal african women topless. I had another person criticize a fake egyptian lamp I made because it was "Evil and ungodly!".

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So, what do you think?

Have you discussed their concerns? If so, did those (that) discussion(s) mediate matters? Was a conclusion drawn? Have you thought about removing it from view when the objectors come over? What definite, specific observations have others made?

I've have had a large statue of "The Thinker" in deep bronze in my study for ...... let's see ...... 50 years. One day a grandchild, maybe 3-4 years old, was staring at it. I asked him what he saw. He said, "A black man sitting on a potty." When folks see the statue, I never fail to share that story. Someone wrote, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It looks like you could pivot the statue a bit and minimize that problem but, really, I think both of those people are off base. Anyway, if only two people out of all those who have seen the statue think that way, you probably should consider them to be eccentric.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jtrevor99

Feb 24, 2017
Minnesota
✟15,755.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. After thought and prayer I've decided to keep it. The statue isn't any more graphic than a dog running down the street or a horse running around a pasture...it's just an accurate reflection of reality. If it were intentionally obscene or inappropriate contentographic, or if the statue's genitals were intentionally enlarged or something, then I would get rid of it. But from what I can tell from photos online, the statue looks exactly as a male lion in that upward striding position would - no more, and no less.

I do like the "I forgot to put underwear on him first" comment though - that kind of puts the whole thing in (silly) perspective!

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

You don't have anything to be ashamed of...you own one piece of art. Relax.

So, what do you think?

Nice statue!
The anatomically correct lion statue---inappropriate contentographic? absurd.
If the statue be a stumbling block then real life animals also be a stumbling block
as well... are we to put "fruit of the looms" on all the animal?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

So, what do you think?

Personally, I think if someone calls that inappropriate contentographic, he's just making himself look bad.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just looks like a bronze lion to me.

I thought inappropriate contentography was about naked people not animals.

Anyway..not a fan of lions...do you have any statues of golden calves? There might be issues with those.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just looks like a bronze lion to me.

I thought inappropriate contentography was about naked people not animals.

Anyway..not a fan of lions...do you have any statues of golden calves? There might be issues with those.
Well maybe the person was projecting (is that the word?) because they themselves maybe have some weird sinful issue with animals genitals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It you enjoy it and had the money to spend on it and had pure motives; then it's your own business. It's an accurate portrayal of an animal and nicely done. Animals do not wear clothes usually. If someone is drawn to the genitalia and it's the only thing they can comment on; then I'd venture to say that they have some issues. I would ask them why they felt the need to comment/fixate on the genitalia when it's not really the focal point of the statue. Do they go to the zoo, walk around outside where there are unclothed dogs and cats? I would keep it.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

So, what do you think?

If anyone looks at a statue of a lion and his first thought is "inappropriate contentography", I humbly suggest any problem is with him, not your statue. You're allowed to have nice things that make you happy, including art. The problem is if you let the pursuit of such things distract you from being a good person.

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2017
NC
✟17,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
First of all, you should never base any aspect of your life around the feelings or comments of others. You saw no graven issue concerning it until someone else brought it up. Do not make any decisions based on the comments or desires pushed onto you by another. If they have an issue, then let them bring it up before God. But if in your heart of hearts you feel it is innocent, then treat it as such.

So, what do you think?

Upvote 0

BelleC

Jun 27, 2016
US
✟26,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So, what do you think?

Absolutely not. Those two people have problems they need to work through. People need to learn to mind their own business and get the beam out of their own eye.

God created artists and they deserve to make a reasonable wage. He commanded lots of specific art be made in Israel in the temple. I don't think the Hebrews thought it was a waste of money and they would not have used cheap, crappy artists. God created art and beauty and we can relate to Him through it. We can feel joyful and appreciate what a wonderful Artist He is as we attempt to imitate His handiwork. He designed us this way.

God's creatures are not inappropriate contentographic. Someone who thinks this statue is inappropriate contentographic must not be allowed around pets. They tend to be anatomically correct too.

Upvote 0