Edmonton
✟12,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At the age of 16 I heard the gospel, believed it, and accepted Christ. I then was baptized in a Independent Fundamental Baptist Church. Although I had faith in Christ as Lord and savior, I did not make any serious commitment to turn from sin or stop living like the world. A few years later, I got caught up in a life of gangs, drugs, and the occult. After a few more years, I felt a conviction to turn back to God. I have since genuinely repented and made a commitment to truly follow Christ. Regarding my baptism I have heard two opinions:
1. That my first baptism was valid, that backsliding does not negate the effects of baptism and that all that is necessary is to repent and stay true to my commitment to Christ.
2. The second opinion is that a valid baptism comes only AFTER true repentance and commitment to the lordship ofl Christ. According to this school of thought, as such my baptism was just "water works" and not a valid option.
After much prayer and contemplation on this subject, I have decided to post here for advice. Is it necessary or scriptural for me to be baptized again?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
When the Corinthians sinned grievously, so much so that many were sick and dying because of it,
did they get re-immersed ? (no)
When the Galatians got in trouble and were sternly warned by Yahweh through the Apostle(s), did they get re-immersed ? (no)

Reactions: jayce9936
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
At the age of 16 I heard the gospel, believed it, and accepted Christ. I then was baptized in a Independent Fundamental Baptist Church. Although I had faith in Christ as Lord and savior, I did not make any serious commitment to turn from sin or stop living like the world. A few years later, I got caught up in a life of gangs, drugs, and the occult. After a few more years, I felt a conviction to turn back to God. I have since genuinely repented and made a commitment to truly follow Christ. Regarding my baptism I have heard two opinions:
1. That my first baptism was valid, that backsliding does not negate the effects of baptism and that all that is necessary is to repent and stay true to my commitment to Christ.
2. The second opinion is that a valid baptism comes only AFTER true repentance and commitment to the lordship ofl Christ. According to this school of thought, as such my baptism was just "water works" and not a valid option.
After much prayer and contemplation on this subject, I have decided to post here for advice. Is it necessary or scriptural for me to be baptized again?
The first option is the right one.

Christ is born! Glorify Him!

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,092.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The concern I'd have is if one follows that rationale to an extreme, a person would need to get re-baptised after every little bit of backsliding, or maybe after every little sin. I don't consider that healthy, and believe that repentance and prayer should suffice.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hi jayce9936, I was first baptized at 19 and was re-baptized this past year...about 20 years later. Not because I feel that the first was ineffectual but like you, I am "prone to wander" and also I have come into further understanding and simply wanted to rededicate and recommit myself to Yah. I was also shown how a mikveh is an act of purification that the children of Yisrael (which we are if grafted in) did as often as necessary. so basically, it is a personal decision between you and the Adon. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

So my view is pretty simple. I think people make baptism out to be more than it is.

It isn't like a charm, that if you have it right, you'll get a +5 Holiness bonus to your Roll Playing Game character. This isn't a MMORPG, World of Warcraft game.

Baptism is a public declaration of your faith in Jesus Christ the Lord.

So I have no problem with people who want to be baptized again, if they really feel the need. We used to have dedications, where people would stand up at the front of the Church, and say they were dedicating their life to (whatever service) for the Lord.

The difference between that, and this, is that Baptism was instituted by John the Baptist, and Jesus. But otherwise both are saying publicly that you are following the Lord.

So what should you do? Well my general advice is, you need to follow whatever Christian congregation you are currently serving with.

You should be part of a church.
You should be doing some amount of service with that Church. Doesn't matter what, whether it's sweeping the rooms, or directing traffic in the parking lot, or just mowing the grass over the summer.

Whatever Christian congregation you are part off, talk to your pastor or elders, and ask them if you should be baptized, or if you can be baptized again.

Whatever they say... follow that. We are supposed to be under the authority of the pastor of the church we are part of. So ask him... and then do what he says. If he says no... then no. If he says yes, then yes.

That is what you should do.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is up to you, I see no harm in it and if it makes you feel washed anew and gives you the feeling of a clean start why not. We get dirty we wash up, we get dirty again we wash again. It's not biblical you must, but not biblical you musn't either.

Thought about it a few times myself due to similar circumstances.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Your question was answered roughly 1700 or so years ago. There was a controversy in the Church over whether those baptized by heretics were legitimately baptized or not. The Church decided that if they were baptized in the proper manner, i.e., in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, their baptism was legitimate and they need not be baptized again. The Nicene Creed was modified to include "We believe in one baptism for the remission of sin", and it is now considered a grave error to re-baptize any Christian for any reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

"That my first baptism was valid, that backsliding does not negate the effects of baptism and that all that is necessary is to repent and stay true to my commitment to Christ."

This is true ... pray about it ... if the Holy Spirit impresses on your heart and mind there certainly is not a problem with getting baptized again. Some people feel as though they want to get re-baptized as a recommitment to the Lord.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Normally, I would not advocate for some one getting baptized again.

However, since you were involved in the occult, it’s not a bad idea.

Part of baptism is our outward statement to others as to our belief in Christ. It seems like you may have wandered into some bad spiritual territory when you backslid.

I would look at it more like a recommitment to Christ, not that your first baptism was invalid

Upvote 0

jayce9936

Dec 19, 2018
Edmonton
✟12,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you to everyone for the replies. I have determined my first baptism was valid and a second baptism would be unscriptural. My pastor agrees. I was worried there wasn't enough of a repentance prior to my initial baptism as it is supposed to be a commitment to discipleship. However someone pointed out to me that baptism is a one time thing, whereas repentance doesn't only happen at conversion, but follows through as a lifetime process. I appreciate everyone's input on the matter. Merry Christmas and God bless.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thank you to everyone for the replies. I have determined my first baptism was valid and a second baptism would be unscriptural. My pastor agrees. I was worried there wasn't enough of a repentance prior to my initial baptism as it is supposed to be a commitment to discipleship. However someone pointed out to me that baptism is a one time thing, whereas repentance doesn't only happen at conversion, but follows through as a lifetime process. I appreciate everyone's input on the matter. Merry Christmas and God bless.
Glad you found your answers.

You are right in that it is a single event.

Remember once you repented, God casts your sin as far as the east is from the west.

Know you have been forgiven and put that chapter behind you.

God bless you.

• Prayers
Reactions: jayce9936
Upvote 0