✟50,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

Perhaps this is a strange question to ask, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask it. I'm considering going back to graduate school to get a degree in theology (not an MDiv but something else, perhaps). However, I'm not sure if it makes sense for me to do so, and I'm hoping you all can help me make an informed decision.

I'm a relatively well-read writer (politics). I'm regularly on television and engage in a variety of speaking formats. It's not uncommon for my work to reach millions of people in a single week. I don't have a background in theology, but I have spent a lot of time privately studying and researching over the past several years, and I'd like to find ways to spend more time writing and speaking about Christianity and my faith--especially since I have a large platform to reach a large audience. In many ways, I feel a strong Christian duty to do this.

I'm very interested in taking courses, learning, and researching a variety of topics related to my Christian faith to assist me in my efforts to communicate effectively about Christianity, so on one level, a graduate degree in theology appeals to me. However, I already have two graduate degrees (journalism and government) and a pretty busy work schedule. I love the idea of learning, attending courses, etc., but I'm not excited about busy work, term papers, and things like that. In my ideal world, it would be possible to get a degree by just attending courses and taking an exam at the end of the semester, but as you all know, that's not how it works!

I could take noncredit courses online and at a nearby seminary, as well as engage in other, similar activities, but I'm worried that if I don't have a degree in theology, people won't take what I have to say seriously.

What do you think?

Upvote 0

IXOYE5

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
In God's Hands
Visit site
✟50,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

Perhaps this is a strange question to ask, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask it. I'm considering going back to graduate school to get a degree in theology (not an MDiv but something else, perhaps).
...What do you think?

Hello jinc1019,

Many years have passed since I last posted on this forum... 2013.

I came on tonight and I believe was led to this post by the Spirit of God! You have asked "What do you think?" If I may give you my opinion, I plant and water, God gives the increase!

God touched me in 1972 and I have not looked back since I have put my hands to the plow.
Jesus Christ gave us a "Gift" when he sat on right handside His of the Father, The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

That "Gift" was the Holy Spirit of God! That same Spirit Jesus commited back to the Father the moment he died on the cross. That "Gift" we receive from the Father promised by the Son!

If you have been commissioned by God to "plant and water" and if he has put you in power and the calling to fulfill His purpose He will give you all you need to tend to His Vineyard by "His Spirit within you", as long as you believe Jesus Christ came in the flesh and have received that Gift of the Spirit.

He will graft the "Word deep within your heart and mind". Seek His "Wisdom and Knowledge" through Jesus Christ and the Gift he gives to those He has called.

A degree in theology may be well given by men which can teach you many things. Scriptures are a gateway and a path to the Truth. We as men can only give one as much wisdom and knowledge we have gain through theology.

Those thing you learn from men can not graft the "burning desire within your heart which can not be comprehended by the flesh", but it is the Spirit of "TRUTH" that comes from the Throne of God through His Wisdom and Knowledge by His Gift of the Holy Spirit, the comforter and teacher of our soul and by that you shall gain "Understanding of the Deep Things" of God given freely to His children of promise and salvation.

Seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened, ask and it shall be give! < In this you shall Find His Wisdom and Knowledge" with this comes Understanding!

May God give you the answer to the knowledge you seek, through the power of God in Christ the Lord of Glory!

IXOYE5

Reactions: GTW27
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hello!

Perhaps this is a strange question to ask, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask it. I'm considering going back to graduate school to get a degree in theology (not an MDiv but something else, perhaps). However, I'm not sure if it makes sense for me to do so, and I'm hoping you all can help me make an informed decision.

I'm a relatively well-read writer (politics). I'm regularly on television and engage in a variety of speaking formats. It's not uncommon for my work to reach millions of people in a single week. I don't have a background in theology, but I have spent a lot of time privately studying and researching over the past several years, and I'd like to find ways to spend more time writing and speaking about Christianity and my faith--especially since I have a large platform to reach a large audience. In many ways, I feel a strong Christian duty to do this.

I'm very interested in taking courses, learning, and researching a variety of topics related to my Christian faith to assist me in my efforts to communicate effectively about Christianity, so on one level, a graduate degree in theology appeals to me. However, I already have two graduate degrees (journalism and government) and a pretty busy work schedule. I love the idea of learning, attending courses, etc., but I'm not excited about busy work, term papers, and things like that. In my ideal world, it would be possible to get a degree by just attending courses and taking an exam at the end of the semester, but as you all know, that's not how it works!

I could take noncredit courses online and at a nearby seminary, as well as engage in other, similar activities, but I'm worried that if I don't have a degree in theology, people won't take what I have to say seriously.

What do you think?

One week ago I enrolled in Dr. Kevin Zadai's Th. D. course entitled "Mystery of the Power Words" and I had a lot of free time so I finished it already and started a second course by him that is free of charge entitled "Heavenly Visitation." I am listening to the lectures in this course that are about his near death experience and I am more than merely impressed because I did take two theology courses at a university and they were really dry in comparison to the astonishing insights that Dr. Zadai was given during his brush with death.

Homepage

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello!

What do you think?

I think that it's the Holy Spirit that convinces People to believe in HIS truth, regardless of the Titles/Degrees of the person who is speaking the truth.

Titles/degrees can open political doors, of course, and the need to do that would be the deciding factor.

Upvote 0

Simon/Rock

God is Truth. "Seek and ye(you) shall find."
Dec 28, 2019
Eureka
✟13,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Asking in the ministry section about qualifications for ministry makes perfect sense to me...

Then maybe thee original poster should be more careful about thee title of his thread?

When it clearly states...……."Should I get a Theology degree?"

Are Theology, and believing in God thee exact same thing, or different?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are Theology, and believing in God thee exact same thing, or different?

I would say that someone's theology is what they believe about God.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would agree with that, but does this site agree with that?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. As far as I know, the definition of theology is not laid out by CF, but nor is it a contentious matter.

• Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Simon/Rock

Dec 28, 2019
Eureka
✟13,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure what you're getting at. As far as I know, the definition of theology is not laid out by CF, but nor is it a contentious matter.

OK, so is the OP searching for God, or does he already know God? there's a big difference?

Because thee definitions of Theology is thee study of God, basically. Not worshiping him and beliving in him.

So what if a thread title said: The Devil is better than God and I believe in the devil. But then in the thread it said otherwise, and they were a Christian. Would you approve of that thread?

Theology - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
OK, so is the OP searching for God, or does he already know God? there's a big difference?

The OP is clear that he is asking whether the study of theology as a discipline (both the work involved, and the cachet that comes with having the degree) are likely to help in his work.

So it's not about searching for God, it's about building a robust and systematic understanding, and having others recognise that.

Because thee definitions of Theology is thee study of God, basically. Not worshiping him and beliving in him.

Well, true. You can study theology without being a Christian. But since the OP is a Christian, that seems kind of irrelevant?

So what if a thread title said: The Devil is better than God and I believe in the devil. But then in the thread it said otherwise, and they were a Christian. Would you approve of that thread?

I'd probably report it. But I can't see how it's relevant to this discussion.

Upvote 0

Simon/Rock

Dec 28, 2019
Eureka
✟13,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The OP is clear that he is asking whether the study of theology as a discipline (both the work involved, and the cachet that comes with having the degree) are likely to help in his work.

So it's not about searching for God, it's about building a robust and systematic understanding, and having others recognise that.

Well, true. You can study theology without being a Christian. But since the OP is a Christian, that seems kind of irrelevant?

I'd probably report it. But I can't see how it's relevant to this discussion.

You contradict yourself, and therefore I'm done with this conversation.

Do you know how many non-Christians pretend to be Christians on this site, simply to gain access to post within the Christian limits on here? From what I've seen so far, it's pretty sick!

So many people that post anti-God type threads, should have been banned off of here, but haven't yet, which makes me wonder why??????????????????????????????????

Upvote 0

IXOYE5

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
In God's Hands
Visit site
✟50,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I seems many under estimated the Power and Depth of the Pure Essence of The True God of Abraham Isacc and Jacob... and the Power given to them. The day their measure of Faith was given to them exceeded that of the carnal man. The DEEP Things from the Throne of God through Christ and the Holy Spirit can not be understud by the fleshly minds of man. The old man must be put away, the new man must be given by God through Christ Jesus the Lord! Theology is nothing with out the Wisdom and Knowledge of the Gift of the Spirit of God in you. Where the Bible ends Christ begins! Christ said "time is no more" So what is left? "Christ Jesus Crucified" and the Gift given to men to build upon the Corner Stone!

If one needs to go to school to learn Christ then go.... But 'Seek God!, Knock, and HE shall open an infinite flow of His Wisdom and Knowldge to those who truly "SEEK WHAT HE FREELY GIVES!" So ask yourself, What do you really seek?

In His Precious Name, God Bless!

• Winner
Reactions: GTW27
Upvote 0