Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There isn't? That's a shame. How does the Electoral College work then?

See the Wikipedia link.

There's this thing called the "Presidential Election" where, in spite of the name, you actually vote for the Electoral College of your state.

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It is your duty to vote against the worst candidate, whoever you consider that to be.
Thank you for sharing. After reading these posts and looking at the poll. I totally agree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I voted "no" here, as an expression of my disdain for both major political parties. I suppose you could vote for a Third Party and still do your civic duty. However...... if the virus does not go away by Election Day and that seems most unlikely, then I strongly recommend that all of us take a pass and refuse to vote in person, though mail voting would be fine.
Actual voting is not going to be that risky provided long lines can be avoided. I've been an election judge for the past six elections and primaries. There would be no problem inside the polling area with advanced hygiene and only letting a limited stream of people through. The problem is the line outside, in November, in the cold. But then if lots of people sign up for absentee ballots the line won't be so bad. So the process of running an election won't be so bad.

What is appalling is the choices the two big parties are providing for us. C'mon. I can't vote for the incumbent. And the other party just isn't the party it was back in the day of Hubert Humphrey. It has endorsed abortion and the dismemberment of the family and dependency and anarchy. Say it isn't so, Joe. I can't vote in conscience for either party.

The good news is that there are many other parties out there, at least one of which is centrist, not vile, normal even. People need to broaden their horizons, as you suggest. Not four or eight or twelve years from now, but this year. In massive numbers. To that end I propose that thinking Democrats and thinking Republicans pair off and pledge to abandon their parties together to vote for a third party. This because the greatest fear of a Democrat is allowing a Republican to win, and the greatest fear of a Republican is allowing a democrat to win. Pairing would free both to vote for a better third party candidate without fear of being responsible for that dreaded result.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It is your duty to vote against the worst candidate, whoever you consider that to be.
Maybe that is your duty in Australia, but it ought to be one's duty to vote FOR the best candidate.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe that is your duty in Australia, but it ought to be one's duty to vote FOR the best candidate.

Well, firstly, in Australia it's a legal obligation, not just a moral duty.

And, secondly, I was responding to the idea that "both candidates are bad." My answer to that remains "vote against the worst candidate." That's what I do, myself.

If you've got a candidate that you, as a Catholic, see as positively good, knock your socks off. Vote for the guy.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well, firstly, in Australia it's a legal obligation, not just a moral duty.

And, secondly, I was responding to the idea that "both candidates are bad." My answer to that remains "vote against the worst candidate." That's what I do, myself.

If you've got a candidate that you, as a Catholic, see as positively good, knock your socks off. Vote for the guy.
It's not an issue of 'both candidates'. Neither of them is positively good, or even neutral. I agree that both major party candidates are bad, in this election unfit to serve. But there are in reality MANY candidates. The idea of having to vote for the least bad of two candidates only perpetuates electing the second worst candidate.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not an issue of 'both candidates'. Neither of them is positively good, or even neutral. I agree that both major party candidates are bad, in this election unfit to serve. But there are in reality MANY candidates. The idea of having to vote for the least bad of two candidates only perpetuates electing the second worst candidate.

OK. I see your point. I still stand by what I said, though.

Of course, because we have preferential voting in Australia, we don't have quite the same dilemma as you do. Faced with this ballot paper, I can just number the boxes 1 to 6 in order:

□ Really Fantastic Christian Minority Party
□ Not Quite So Good Minority Party
□ Better Of The Two Mainstream Parties
□ Worse Of The Two Mainstream Parties
□ Really Bad Minority Party
□ Evil Terrible Satan-Worshipping Minority Party​

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
OK. I see your point. I still stand by what I said, though.

Of course, because we have preferential voting in Australia, we don't have quite the same dilemma as you do. Faced with this ballot paper, I can just number the boxes 1 to 6 in order:

□ Really Fantastic Christian Minority Party
□ Not Quite So Good Minority Party
□ Better Of The Two Mainstream Parties
□ Worse Of The Two Mainstream Parties
□ Really Bad Minority Party
□ Evil Terrible Satan-Worshipping Minority Party​
So you CAN (and do) vote for the one you really want. So many Americans vote only against the party they hate. They have to take a shower afterwards because they voted for such a lousy candidate just to stop a worse one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums