Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What you just stated above is not written in God's Word. It sounds like you may be referring to the "unequally yoked" verse that says that we should not "marry" an unbeliever if we are a believer.

And even then, we're not told to leave. That passage is actually more in line with the advice of staying.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
And even then, we're not told to leave. That passage is actually more in line with the advice of staying.

I don't necessarily disagree with you Aldebaran. I was hopefully adding some clarity to what the verse is and means to our sister.

Did you think i meant something else?

(i'd go into more detail, but i don't wanna derail our sister's thread.)

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't necessarily disagree with you Aldebaran. I was hopefully adding some clarity to what the verse is and means to our sister.

Did you think i meant something else?

(i'd go into more detail, but i don't wanna derail our sister's thread.)

Nope! I was just pointing it out for her to see.

• Haha
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At the time, I was feeling really lost and despairing because I'm a sinner and I want to break free from my sin. Plus in Scripture Jesus said that those who don't hate their parents, siblings and friends can't be His disciple so I was beginning to think I had to drop absolutely everything for Jesus. One of the Commands is to respect your mother and father but one of the Commands is also to love God above all else. Plus there is a theme in the bible that those closest to you shouldn't be unbelievers.

I love my parents...but I love God the most. And I won't be able to fully change under their roof unless they choose to change along with me. I will try to reach out to them but Idk how successful I will be.

We are all sinners. No one is worthy, not even one in heaven or earth except Jesus. The Bible teaches us this in several places. One scripture God has recently put on my heart is when Jesus washes the disciples feet. Jesus says that they have "had a bath" and are clean so only need the dirt on their feet washing off. As Christians we are clean but pick up dirt (sin) in our lives. We need to learn to repent and put our trust in Jesus and move on.

Its also important to forgive ourselves. From the level of reaction you have shown by considering making yourself homeless (which is a very dangerous position to put yourself in and it could take you many years to try to get your life back on track) it appears you are focusing too much on being a sinner and not enough on being a child of God who has been saved. Try to think more about the fact that Jesus has bought your salvation with His blood. He has paid the price for your sin - past, present and future.

Be the best person you can be in your home and be an example to your parents. Talk to them about how you feel about God (but I would suggest not saying to them that you love God more than them at this stage as they will find it hurtful as your parents who brought you up). Would you like to see your parents saved? God has placed you in that family and you may be His chosen person to bring your whole family to know Him, even if its not until the day they die. I know a few people who have said that family members have said to them moments before dying that they accept Jesus. Dont give up on them.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
At the time, I was feeling really lost and despairing because I'm a sinner and I want to break free from my sin. Plus in Scripture Jesus said that those who don't hate their parents, siblings and friends can't be His disciple so I was beginning to think I had to drop absolutely everything for Jesus. One of the Commands is to respect your mother and father but one of the Commands is also to love God above all else. Plus there is a theme in the bible that those closest to you shouldn't be unbelievers.

I love my parents...but I love God the most. And I won't be able to fully change under their roof unless they choose to change along with me. I will try to reach out to them but Idk how successful I will be.

My mother is really old, having out-lived all her siblings. She hasn't changed. My faith and strength and everything good that I can do comes by the grace of God. Ask God to help you do what's right; ask His forgiveness when you sin.

Upvote 0