Newburgh
✟23,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
= city officials brought judgement for leading Jerusalem in the way of wickedness. = nothing to do with salvation.

How do you as a Calvinist interpret Jesus' statement of "how often I have longed to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me."?

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I am at a Church where I have many peers and it has a good Sunday school for my children. I have few friends outside Church and no relatives.

I liked my Church because it was a Bible preaching church. I liked the way that preaching was based on the Bible and not on what others make of it.. eg Calvin.

I have in recent weeks been aware of Calvinistic teachings being uttered more than once. I've read a book on Calvinism and fail to see how Calvin concluded what he did. I look at the same verses and see it differently. Should I ignore this? I'm a huge fan of Proverbs 3:5-6 and trust more what the Lord teaches than any doctrine of man. I also don't want to have itchy ears and seek out preachers who say what I want them too.

Please advise and pray for wisdom. There aren't many options of other Churches around.

I have been to several churches that preached something that I did not understand or agree with.

There is no perfect preacher. Every preacher you are ever under, will say something you don't understand or agree with. Jesus isn't with us in the flesh. No preacher is going to be a perfect replacement for Christian.

My advice, go to church, worship the Lord. Don't worry about the things you can't take away from Church. Focus on the things you can. Yeah, maybe there are a few things he says that don't apply to you. Focus on the things that do apply to you. Focus on the good, and pass on the problematic.

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Jordan1989

Jan 1, 2019
Newburgh
✟23,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The born again Jews all repented and joined the New Covenant.

That's a head-scratching statement for me Brother. So you believe that it just so happens that everyone Jesus said that statement to were all ones he chose for salvation? That seems like quite a stretch.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you as a Calvinist interpret Jesus' statement of "how often I have longed to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me."?
It was directed at the city officials in Jerusalem who hindered repentance by the wicked unbelievers. Resulting in the 70 AD destruction of Jerusalem. = nothing to do with salvation.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a head-scratching statement for me Brother. So you believe that it just so happens that everyone Jesus said that statement to were all ones he chose for salvation? That seems like quite a stretch.
No, but many were born again and joined the New Covenant.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was teaching the Galilean Jews in their synagogues and villages for he was sent to the lost sheep of Israel. Jesus' neighbors were aware miracles were happening, yet many did not believe they were supposed to help Jesus.

Matthew 11:21 "Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon which were done in you, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes." (World English Bible - Public Domain)

Chorazin and Bethsaida were within a few miles of Capernaum and yet they did not repent. The sheep must follow the shepherd in order to be led to pasture and still waters. The sheep who strike out on their own are likely lost.

They wanted to stone Jesus because the law of Moses commanded them to stone someone who works on the Sabbath. Jesus' healing and certain other activities brought accusations of Sabbath violations. The law was threat of death to those who healed on the Sabbath in the name of the Lord; thus Paul disputed the validity of the law in some of his letters. Whether or not Calvin wrote about this does not concern me, for I do not need Calvin to read these things for myself.

Upvote 0

Jordan1989

Jan 1, 2019
Newburgh
✟23,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
It was directed at the city officials in Jerusalem who hindered repentance by the wicked unbelievers. Resulting in the 70 AD destruction of Jerusalem. = nothing to do with salvation.

The city officials in Jerusalem hindered repentance? If, according to your Calvinistic belief, God chooses who to save, How could they hinder repentance? Wouldn't hindering repentance be impossible since God, by your belief, will force his people to believe?

You said "many" were born again and joined the New Covenant. So when Jesus said “The Kingdom of God is near! Repent of your sins and believe the Good News!” there was a portion of his audience that couldn't obey what he was commanding. So if that is the case, would that not make Jesus a liar because he was commanding some to do something they could not do?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am at a Church where I have many peers and it has a good Sunday school for my children. I have few friends outside Church and no relatives.

I liked my Church because it was a Bible preaching church. I liked the way that preaching was based on the Bible and not on what others make of it.. eg Calvin.

I have in recent weeks been aware of Calvinistic teachings being uttered more than once. I've read a book on Calvinism and fail to see how Calvin concluded what he did. I look at the same verses and see it differently. Should I ignore this? I'm a huge fan of Proverbs 3:5-6 and trust more what the Lord teaches than any doctrine of man. I also don't want to have itchy ears and seek out preachers who say what I want them too.

Please advise and pray for wisdom. There aren't many options of other Churches around.

Prayers, I am having a similiar dilemma...we found a small tight knit Bible preaching church with sound doctrine... But no children and fellowship time... We have a potluck Fe times a year...couple singers. Revivals...but mostly.juat preaching...no real world...sharpening our swords...encouraging others...so we are trying to see if God wants us to stay or go... No growth in 4 years there

• Informative
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The city officials in Jerusalem hindered repentance? If, according to your Calvinistic belief, God chooses who to save, How could they hinder repentance? Wouldn't hindering repentance be impossible since God, by your belief, will force his people to believe?

You said "many" were born again and joined the New Covenant. So when Jesus said “The Kingdom of God is near! Repent of your sins and believe the Good News!” there was a portion of his audience that couldn't obey what he was commanding. So if that is the case, would that not make Jesus a liar because he was commanding some to do something they could not do?
If you understand that the law was for wicked unbelievers. And their obedience brought temporal physical blessing. And their disobedience brought wrath and national destruction, the passage about averting judgement on Jerusalem will make sense. Otherwise you will confuse it with salvation which always pertained only to the faithful. Please spend some time looking into this.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was teaching the Galilean Jews in their synagogues and villages for he was sent to the lost sheep of Israel. Jesus' neighbors were aware miracles were happening, yet many did not believe they were supposed to help Jesus.

Matthew 11:21 "Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon which were done in you, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes." (World English Bible - Public Domain)

Chorazin and Bethsaida were within a few miles of Capernaum and yet they did not repent. The sheep must follow the shepherd in order to be led to pasture and still waters. The sheep who strike out on their own are likely lost.

They wanted to stone Jesus because the law of Moses commanded them to stone someone who works on the Sabbath. Jesus' healing and certain other activities brought accusations of Sabbath violations. The law was threat of death to those who healed on the Sabbath in the name of the Lord; thus Paul disputed the validity of the law in some of his letters. Whether or not Calvin wrote about this does not concern me, for I do not need Calvin to read these things for myself.
Only the born again Jews received Christ. The signs and wonders only produced "sight faith" that could not save. But they healed the believers and provided evidence that Jesus is God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well what I would advise is to first keep an open mind and consider all churches, examine their teachings. Use Isaiah 8:20 as your barometer. They must teach the truth according to the bible. It means also you may need to reexamine your own beliefs.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0