Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
But the current actions are causing a whole lot more trouble then any Sunday law in the US. I think the suggestion of a Sunday law would bring people back in droves.

JM
In which case the devil would be helping God out. I don't think people have thought this through. I don't blame EGW for making the suggestion but better is expected from enlightened people.

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The Sunday law issue was a big one in EGW's time. When you consider that these very laws were actually being enforced in some areas during her time and that there was also a widespread, strong, anti-Catholic sentiment permeating the Christian atmosphere as well, it isn't difficult to see how culture and the time period she lived in heavily influenced her.

Right now we are facing more danger from Islamic fundamentalists than the Papacy IMO.

Another thing I would like to know: How does anyone see this thing playing itself out from a logistical standpoint? I mean really, just consider this rationally! You honestly think the huge, militant nation of Islam is going to give up thier holy day of Friday and just submit to a world-wide Sunday law without retaliation? Not to mention the massive Jewish nation, who have heavy representation in the U.N.? Like they aren't going to fight such a thing to the death? Or have people forgotten how determined Orthodox Judaism can be? These people have faced and lived through the worst persecution. There is no way they are going to give up their proud heritage of Sabbath keeping.

Upvote 0

mva1985

Senior Veteran
Jun 18, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟19,628.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What are these things of which you speak?
One thing would be the Patriot Act. We could eventually be considered terrorists.

I don't go for all the conspiracy theory stuff so I couldn't say exactly how it would play out but I can see how something like this law could eventually be used against us.

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why would we be considered terrorists?

It is easy to declare some group as terrorists. Yeah, there is no good reason... but the Patriot act clearly goes against the constitutional rights for those declared to be 'terrorists'.

For me it was a bit of a wakeup call that broad based state sponsered persectution could exist. Of course, I expect it to be against Muslims rather then against SDAs.

JM

Upvote 0

daro2096

Aug 29, 2007
UK
✟7,914.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
What provision in the Patriot Act could lead to that?
Section 802 of the first Patriot Act.

According to that anyone can be considered a terrorist. Commit any crime and you are a terrorist.

And I believe section 502 of the second Patroit Act says anybody can be secretly arrested, tried by a secret court and killed secretly and your family doesn't have a right to know what happened to you. As far as they know you vanished and you are never found.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

daro2096

Aug 29, 2007
UK
✟7,914.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
People are asking how can the Sunday laws prophecy become true when we can't keep out the foriengers and terrorists and drugs.

Well if a few nuclear bombs go off in populated cities it could so easier happen. Did you know they can make nuclear bombs as small as a baseball and if they go off they kill all life within a 600 yard circle? When this happens religious people will say this would not have happened if we hadn't left God and obeying his law and they will demand Sunday laws be enforced. Trouble is the Sabbath is not Sunday but Saturday and they will be a few people that will refuse to go along with the Sunday sabbath. These people will be hated and when the plagues start falling the people will say these plagues are falling because some people are not keeping Sunday holy and Sabbath keepers will be despited, hated and hunted down like animals to appeased(so they believe) an angry god.

This is why Ellen G White says we should leave the cities and flee into the country and mountains now before the troubles begin.

Upvote 0

JonMiller

Senior Veteran
Jun 6, 2007
✟23,331.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why? Aren't we suppose to spread the word of God? And where are the people.. in the cities.

Additionally, I don't see why people are worried about the time of trouble. God will be with us then, just as He is with us now. I think this worry just comes from the doctrine of perfection. Which completely denies the power of God and is against the gospel.

JM

Upvote 0

daro2096

Aug 29, 2007
UK
✟7,914.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Why? Aren't we suppose to spread the word of God? And where are the people.. in the cities.

Additionally, I don't see why people are worried about the time of trouble. God will be with us then, just as He is with us now. I think this worry just comes from the doctrine of perfection. Which completely denies the power of God and is against the gospel.

JM
We are supposed to reach the people in cities but Ellen White said we must not live in the cities.

Upvote 0

sentipente

Senior Contributor
Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
This is why Ellen G White says we should leave the cities and flee into the country and mountains now before the troubles begin.
Do you know how many people did that only to discover that the cities expanding to engulf them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

JM
amen....

Upvote 0

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Pardon?

And the king of Egypt said unto them, Wherefore do ye, Moses and Aaron, let the people from their works? get you unto your burdens. And Pharaoh said, Behold, the people of the land now [are] many, and ye make them rest(shabath (Strong's H7673*)) from their burdens. And Pharaoh commanded the same day the taskmasters of the people, and their officers, saying, Ye shall no more give the people straw to make brick, as heretofore: let them go and gather straw for themselves. And the tale of the bricks, which they did make heretofore, ye shall lay upon them; ye shall not diminish [ought] thereof: for they [be] idle; therefore they cry, saying, Let us go [and] sacrifice to our God. Let there more work be laid upon the men, that they may labour therein; and let them not regard vain words. Exodus 5:4-9

shabath (Strong's H7673)
1) to cease, desist, rest
a) (Qal)
1) to cease
2) to rest, desist (from labour)
b) (Niphal) to cease
c) (Hiphil)
1) to cause to cease, put an end to
2) to exterminate, destroy
3) to cause to desist from
4) to remove
5) to cause to fail
2) (Qal) to keep or observe the sabbath
Daro--your clear reading of this account in Exodus is totally correct. Too bad others cannot see it.

Upvote 0

daro2096

Aug 29, 2007
UK
✟7,914.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Daro--your clear reading of this account in Exodus is totally correct. Too bad others cannot see it.
Thanks.

If some people would study Revelation 16 and compare with Exodus 7 to 14 they would see the same plagues. When anti-sabbath laws are passed forcing me to work on Saturday or suffer the results that is when the Mark of the Beast will be enforced. Sunday rest in of it self means nothing without there being anti-sabbath laws.

Upvote 0