Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is tithing taught in the NT, for NT Christians? What exactly is the tithe? Is it really 10% like we are told, or was it a tax to OT Jews that consisted of 23%? Does that mean we should be giving 23%?

I have my own opinions on this, but would like to hear what the rest of y'all think. Besides this is a fellowship forum.

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To give Caesar what is Caesar's can be calculated, it's a set amount.
To give God, what is God's is also easy to calculate, it's everything that doesn't belong to Cesar.

You cannot serve God and money.
I believe in Tithing (10%) and giving (as needed), however the word Tithing carries too much baggage. A person Tithing can still serve money. This is one of the hardest edges we come against when growing in Christ.

Great question!

Eldermike

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Not responsible for the changes here.
Jun 12, 2002
Nestled in the Gorgeous Montana Mountains
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Tithing is quite a study. Many say that since Abraham gave a tithe to Melkisidek (sp) that the tithe predates the law. But, there is more to it than that. The NT example of giving was more of a missions/helps offering for starving Christians in Jerusalem. Like I said before I have my own opinion on this, but I will reserve it until later.

Upvote 0

rookie

Jun 4, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟15,292.00
Faith
Christian
After doing just a little research, I'm finding all kinds of sites saying that tithing is "unscriptural" based on the New Covenant. Wow. I personally don't see a problem with tithing. We can't just take our churches for granted. Someone has to pay the electric and water and so on. Just my little thoughts.

rookie

Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
i think we should yes but i don't think the NT has a set clear amount. i think personally it should be given with a free and clear conscience and not be something you feel obligated to do. nor should those who don't have a set amount to give be made to feel bad that they can't give a certain amount.

Upvote 0

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
I think tithing is a wonderful practice, but it can become a problem when someone is willing to Tithe but not help out a poor person, brother, family member or basically anyone who comes to you with a need, on the grounds of "sorry can't you help you, becuase I paid my tithe and that's all I"m required to give".

This kind of person is what my pastor would call a "Spiritual Pharisee". :)

I try to look at it this way, it's God's money. He's just leting me use it.....so I had better use it the way he intends me to use it or he will just take it back.

Works for me anways.....

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, tithing is a blessing for me. I heard of some that tithe and it a chore for them some complain about they have to because it is taught by their church. I give 10% to my local church and have no problem with it. IMO it does not matter if you give 5%,8%, 11%, just keep your additude in check. I do not understand when pastors will preach on if you do not give 10% tithe to the local church it is because of a lack of faith, could be for some a matter of their survival.

For His Glory Alone!:clap:

BBAS

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, I think Christians should tithe.
Tithing is an act of worship in giving back to God a portion of what He has given us. When you realize all that He has done for you, a tithe seems small in comparison. In tithing we also acknowledge that God already owns everything.
Tithing should not be compulsory. It should be done with a cheerful heart.

2 Cor. 9:7
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

My family tithes 10% of our gross income.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.