Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess it depends on if you think that God is bound to time the way we are? If you think that God could hear yesterday the prayer that you pray today, why not pray for those who have already passed for Him to have already answered the prayer, and I assume send witnesses to that person honoring that prayer?

If you believe that God is not currently in the future as well as the present and past, then they have already made their decision, and there is nothing to pray for.

I know of no scripture that specifies one way or the other.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The real question is why do so? You can not alter their destination one way or the other. Neither can you pray for greater blessings for them. If they went to heaven they have all the blessings they need. If they went to hell, they can receive no blessing there.

If it makes you feel better to do so, then go ahead. But there is no real tangible value or purpose in doing so.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The real question is why do so? You can not alter their destination one way or the other. Neither can you pray for greater blessings for them. If they went to heaven they have all the blessings they need. If they went to hell, they can receive no blessing there.

If it makes you feel better to do so, then go ahead. But there is no real tangible value or purpose in doing so.

What he said.:)

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
More specifically, is it Scriptural to do so?
Umm....I suppose that you could always ask "Mary"! If she's not available ("she" gets lots of emails) then I have no doubt that there will be a few shadowy sources who will happily speak on "her" behalf.

I know, I know....I'm being a bad boy!

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What about Onesiphorus in 1st Timothy 1?

2 Timothy 1:16-18 (KJV)
16 The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain:
17 But, when he was in Rome, he sought me out very diligently, and found me.
18 The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day: and in how many things he ministered unto me at Ephesus, thou knowest very well.

Praying not for a dead person, but praying that when he does die, that he find blessings for what he has done to encourage Paul... that is not praying for the dead, it is praying for the living, who when they do die and leave a dead body behind, they are rewarded well for their ministry done while alive...

nothing shocking there...

when we die, we go to heaven or hell... we do not need healed when we arrive in heaven, so prayers for healing are needless... we have the counsel of the Lord, the loss of our fleshly carnal body to struggle against, we are in the midst of peace and joy, and all our needs are supplied... for what should we pray for those there...

the ones in hell, are there... even if we could, we could not pray more conviction upon them, I am sure, like the rich man in Luke 16, they realize they made a dumb choice... but it is too late... salvation is offered to mankind before death, not after, ... so for what could we pray? a drop of water on their tongue??? that was denied long ago!

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the ones in hell, are there... even if we could, we could not pray more conviction upon them, I am sure, like the rich man in Luke 16, they realize they made a dumb choice... but it is too late... salvation is offered to mankind before death, not after, ... so for what could we pray? a drop of water on their tongue??? that was denied long ago!

The first 4 days you can pray that they get raised from the dead, after that it's useless I found out. I once prayed for days and when he was cremated I had no faith anymore, LOL. Luckily I prayed the whole week before it too and I saw a vision of a fox going after a bird and I tried to shoot him, but I couldn't get him and the bird flew into a bush and he jumped in it too and then BAM a shot from heaven and the fox was dead and the bird flew to heaven. My ex thought I had become nuts, a guy at the office said his father in law was doing euthanasia in a week, he was an atheist. I really have to pray more. I always prayed for people that were on the edge of eternity that God would open their eyes. Ian McCormack got saved just before he died, because his mother prayed. That inspired me. The night before my granddad died God said: You have the keys. Use 'em now, tomorrow it's too late.

Upvote 0