Should Christians celebrate Christmas using Santa Claus?

Should Christians celebrate Christmas using Santa Claus?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• Don't know

• Don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainMercy

In the valley He restores my soul!
Sep 30, 2005
✟29,563.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
cygnusx1 said:
Hi there belladonic-haze ..................... are you a Queen fan ? ;)
How about sticking with the subject! Questions like this should be handle on chat or pms! Go to the OP and follow the thread please!

Upvote 0

Rev. Smith

Old Catholic Priest
Jun 29, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
✟9,505.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Christians are also citizens, we watch baseball games and car races, play golf and go to parties. Santa Claus is a festive cultural icon, and children enjoy the stories and present myths, which is why he has endured as a symbol. While it is critical that we teach our children about Jesus and the Christian life, it does not have to be a dour, joyless and disconnected life.

So I say have lots of fun at Christmas, enjoy all of the traditions, including church and carols and stories about Jesus - and Santa.

Reactions: dignitized
Upvote 0

CaptainMercy

Sep 30, 2005
✟29,563.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Rev. Smith said:
Christians are also citizens, we watch baseball games and car races, play golf and go to parties. Santa Claus is a festive cultural icon, and children enjoy the stories and present myths, which is why he has endured as a symbol. While it is critical that we teach our children about Jesus and the Christian life, it does not have to be a dour, joyless and disconnected life.

So I say have lots of fun at Christmas, enjoy all of the traditions, including church and carols and stories about Jesus - and Santa.
Point taken! Can I ask you this? Do you believe Santa exists? Is he real or mythical! I am not talking of St. Nicholas, the character of Santa Claus today is far from the real St. Nicholas! Santa is said to come down a chimney, fly in a sleigh, use elves (you know little people whom some believe to be hundreds of years old), and uses magic to bring the children toys and goodies. He is attributed a characteristic of God in that he is all knowing (knows whether we been bad or good). Is this healthy for a Christian to teach the chidren to believe? As a minister, do you teach it is wrong to lie? Do you show the words of God to your flock that states "all liers shall have their part in the lake of fire?"
Curious!:confused:

Upvote 0

Axion

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2003
uk
Visit site
✟4,616.00
Faith
Catholic
People should learn about St Nicholas, but the modern Santa is a distraction to take us away from the real story of Christmas. It is no coincidence that Santa is allowed everywhere, but images of the Nativity are banned from public places.

Santa is also a pagan figure, grafted from Norse religion, the figure of Woden or Yule, who rode through the skies on a horse or reindeer and left gifts.

This "Santa" Claus does great harm to the church! Parents who claim to be Christians tell their children that a jolly fat man who lives up north is omnipresent, allknowing, and basically all powerful and holy. He travels the globe in one night, sees you at all times, knows everything you do, and you should be good because HE is watching.

No longer are you to be good because God is watching, but now because "Santa" is watching. So what happens when the children get old enough to realize that this father figure does not exist and that their parents LIED to them? This can come as a great shock. First, they begin to think lying is OK. Second, if "Santa" Claus, turned out to be a lie concoted by their parents to make them behave, then perhaps God the Father too is just a lie to make them behave? Thus, by simply "celebrating Christmas" you make children disbelieve what you say, and so possibly turn them into atheists.

We should tell Children of the real St Nicholas, and how the made-up figure of "Santa" was derived from him.

Upvote 0

Rev. Smith

Old Catholic Priest
Jun 29, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
✟9,505.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
blessedvalley said:
Point taken! Can I ask you this? Do you believe Santa exists? Is he real or mythical! I am not talking of St. Nicholas, the character of Santa Claus today is far from the real St. Nicholas! Santa is said to come down a chimney, fly in a sleigh, use elves (you know little people whom some believe to be hundreds of years old), and uses magic to bring the children toys and goodies. He is attributed a characteristic of God in that he is all knowing (knows whether we been bad or good). Is this healthy for a Christian to teach the chidren to believe? As a minister, do you teach it is wrong to lie? Do you show the words of God to your flock that states "all liers shall have their part in the lake of fire?"

I don't believe that St. Nick is anywhere but in heaven. But I also know that Christians who get touchy about St. Nick have no problem telling fibs to their children in other areas of life (storks don't bring babies etc. etc.)

Of course I teach that lieing is wrong, but don't see play and frolicing as lieing, anymore then I do letting kids watch the "Lion King" videos (a pack of lies from start to finish, there are no talking animals and most of the characters in the film would eat each other, not dance together)

When did our joyful, loving, community building faith become the "No fun allowed" religion?

Upvote 0

CaptainMercy

Sep 30, 2005
✟29,563.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Rev. Smith said:
I don't believe that St. Nick is anywhere but in heaven. But I also know that Christians who get touchy about St. Nick have no problem telling fibs to their children in other areas of life (storks don't bring babies etc. etc.)

Of course I teach that lieing is wrong, but don't see play and frolicing as lieing, anymore then I do letting kids watch the "Lion King" videos (a pack of lies from start to finish, there are no talking animals and most of the characters in the film would eat each other, not dance together)

When did our joyful, loving, community building faith become the "No fun allowed" religion?
It is not a none fun loving religion! I for one have never told my children that babies come from storks! I have always tried to speak the truth in my heart as well as my mouth! I am a minister as well and have seen the results of constant lying to children! We as parents and as pastors or ministers have an awesome responsibilty to teach the truth always! We will be held accountable for every idle word we speak! As far as having fun, Proverbs tells us
[BIBLE]
Pro 17:22
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.
[/BIBLE]

I don't advocate taking the joy of Christmas from children but today's society is turning away from the true meaning of our celebration and commercializing it with the Santa theme! That is what troubles me more than the whole Santa issue. No more do you see Christ emphasised but it's "Happy Holiday's",or "Seasons Greetings!" with Santa's stamp all over it! It behooves us as Christians to see to it that Christ is put back in Chritmas! This nation is getting so wicked even to the point of wishing everyone Merry XMAS! A God fearing nation from its beginning yet we have shun Him and rejected His reprimands looking to ourself as the source of our strength! We need to wake up and call on God with our whole heart!!
[BIBLE]

Psa 15:1 <A Psalm of David.> LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?

Psa 15:2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.

Psa 15:3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.

Psa 15:4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.

Psa 15:5 He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

[/BIBLE]

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2005
Georgia
✟1,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Borealis said:
I voted 'yes.' People should learn about St. Nicholas and what his life was all about. It might inspire them to achieve something noble and good, especially with regards to children, our most precious resource.

agree with this person

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2005
Georgia
✟1,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
blessedvalley said:
It is not a none fun loving religion! I for one have never told my children that babies come from storks! I have always tried to speak the truth in my heart as well as my mouth! I am a minister as well and have seen the results of constant lying to children! We as parents and as pastors or ministers have an awesome responsibilty to teach the truth always! We will be held accountable for every idle word we speak! As far as having fun, Proverbs tells us
[BIBLE]
Pro 17:22
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.
[/BIBLE]

I don't advocate taking the joy of Christmas from children but today's society is turning away from the true meaning of our celebration and commercializing it with the Santa theme! That is what troubles me more than the whole Santa issue. No more do you see Christ emphasised but it's "Happy Holiday's",or "Seasons Greetings!" with Santa's stamp all over it! It behooves us as Christians to see to it that Christ is put back in Chritmas! This nation is getting so wicked even to the point of wishing everyone Merry XMAS! A God fearing nation from its beginning yet we have shun Him and rejected His reprimands looking to ourself as the source of our strength! We need to wake up and call on God with our whole heart!!
[BIBLE]

Psa 15:1 <A Psalm of David.> LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?

Psa 15:2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.

Psa 15:3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.

Psa 15:4 In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.

Psa 15:5 He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

[/BIBLE]

but St. Nicholas wasnt a myth or lie????
just so you know i understand that society shouldnt make it appear as if "santa claus" is the "only" thing about christmas funny story to go with that
when my Aunt told my 6 year old cousin about "santa claus" and how he brings toys to you if your good they had to tell her directly after word that he wasnt real because the thought of a "strange fat man sneaking into her house" made her start to cry, clearly a mis-interpretation lol....

................maybe if we tell our kids about the real St.Nick you would approve better?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 17, 2005
Georgia
✟1,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
blessedvalley said:

could you please define lying exactly????

Upvote 0

CaptainMercy

Sep 30, 2005
✟29,563.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
ArchangelGabriel said:
but St. Nicholas wasnt a myth or lie????
just so you know i understand that society shouldnt make it appear as if "santa claus" is the "only" thing about christmas funny story to go with that
when my Aunt told my 6 year old cousin about "santa claus" and how he brings toys to you if your good they had to tell her directly after word that he wasnt real because the thought of a "strange fat man sneaking into her house" made her start to cry, clearly a mis-interpretation lol....

................maybe if we tell our kids about the real St.Nick you would approve better?
I think you misunderstood the post! There was nothing said against the real St. Nicholas! I think that more people should follow his example! What is being discussed is the emphasis of the mythical Santa Claus, that is supposed to live under the caprock at the North Pole, replacing Christ in the celebration of Christmas! Yes, I think that St. Nicholas should be told of and explained to our children, but they are being bombarded with the commercial world and its emphasis on Santa! :doh: :confused: :cool:

Upvote 0

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
blessedvalley said:
. . . they are being bombarded with the commercial world and its emphasis on Santa!

2 things -

1. Do you or should anyone abdicate the raising of children any children to the commercial world?

2. Remember that the commercial world grabs onto Santa and runs with him because the tail wags the dog. We wouldn't want to offend the obnoxious minority who are offended by any mention of Christ. :sigh:

Upvote 0

MarlenaM

Sep 24, 2005
✟362.00
Faith
Christian
I don't see the harm in raising our Children with Santa so as long as they know Christ. I agree it is very comercialized. I am trying to teach my daughter that we don't need to buy gifts for everyone, that it's Jesus' day along with the importance of it. It is fun for the kids to see presents under the tree but there is a balance; which our world hasn't found much of. For the media it's a way to make money. Doesn't mean that's how it has to be in our homes. She knows Jesus and that Santa is just Santa.

Reactions: JimfromOhio
Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
MarlenaM said:
there is a balance;

You said it.... there have to be a balance in our spiritual lives. We need to make sure that we put God first and while we do put God first, we can enjoy lives as best as we can without hindering our relationship with God. When we don't put God first in our celebrations... that's where people lose their focus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarlenaM

Sep 24, 2005
✟362.00
Faith
Christian
JimfromOhio said:
You said it.... there have to be a balance in our spiritual lives. We need to make sure that we put God first and while we do put God first, we can enjoy lives as best as we can without hindering our relationship with God. When we don't put God first in our celebrations... that's where people lose their focus.

Exactly!! That was spoken so much better than what I said!! But I totally agree!

Upvote 0

Rev. Smith

Old Catholic Priest
Jun 29, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
✟9,505.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
blessedvalley said:
..... replacing Christ in the celebration of Christmas! Yes, I think that St. Nicholas should be told of and explained to our children, but they are being bombarded with the commercial world and its emphasis on Santa! :doh: :confused: :cool:

This is my point, Santa only replaces, or displaces, Christ in our homes if we let it. Santa, and Rudolf (and Hermie who wants to be a dentist (a favorite in my house)) are fun that kids can have. If a family isn't Christian then that is all they have. We have an advantage, we can join in all the fun with our neighbors, and then have plenty of time with our families and Christian fellows for joyful worship, and gratitude and spreading grace. They just don't seem mutually exclusive to me.

Upvote 0

CaptainMercy

Sep 30, 2005
✟29,563.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Rev. Smith said:
This is my point, Santa only replaces, or displaces, Christ in our homes if we let it. Santa, and Rudolf (and Hermie who wants to be a dentist (a favorite in my house)) are fun that kids can have. If a family isn't Christian then that is all they have. We have an advantage, we can join in all the fun with our neighbors, and then have plenty of time with our families and Christian fellows for joyful worship, and gratitude and spreading grace. They just don't seem mutually exclusive to me.
Point taken! I understand what you are sayiing and thank you for your comments! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
H

hoser

Lynn73 said:
I vote no. Here's something someone may find interesting:

http://www.av1611.org/othpubls/santa.html

I really don't mean any offense Lynn73, but you really fall for alot don't you? Why cannot we believe in God, have faith in God and love God but also use our brains that He gave us to understand that we as adults can celebrate Christmas with Santa (or Easter with the bunny for that matter) and at the same time are capable of teaching out children the true meanings of these holidays?

Upvote 0

CaptainMercy

Sep 30, 2005
✟29,563.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
hoser said:
I really don't mean any offense Lynn73, but you really fall for alot don't you? Why cannot we believe in God, have faith in God and love God but also use our brains that He gave us to understand that we as adults can celebrate Christmas with Santa (or Easter with the bunny for that matter) and at the same time are capable of teaching out children the true meanings of these holidays?
Please respect others opinions! "you really fall for alot don't you?" is a borderline offense even if you did not mean it to be! Such statements have no bearing on an arguement! State your facts or your beliefs let everyone form their own opinion by what is being stated!

I personal hate the Easter Bunny thing to because it is a Greek myth of a vcreature turn from chicken to bunny but still layes eggs! What has that got to do with Christianity and Christ? I don't knock it though because you want to celebrate it that way! it is your choice! The OP was to get a poll of who liked, disliked, didn't know or didn't care about Santa and Christians spending Christmas together! Stick with that and let those who may not agree with your answer to have their say about why they voted the way they did! Please!?!?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.