Should babysitters be allowed to teach evolution to your kids?

Lost Angel

מָ֫וֶת
Apr 1, 2013
✟15,969.00
Faith
Agnostic
I'd like to think someone qualified to teach evolution to my children would not be working as my children's babysitter.

Babysitter is a broad term. It could be a teenager, a family member, or a neighbor. Basically a guardian.

An interesting scenario would be to take the kid to a natural history museum.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
What are baby sitters doing knowing about evolution in the first place?

What's this country coming to!?

Well, if I had kids and I'd hired a baby sitter, I'd want them to be at least 13, so that's old enough to have had some evolution education in school.

I'd like to think someone qualified to teach evolution to my children would not be working as my children's babysitter.

If I had kids I wouldn't mind a babysitter talking about evolution... it's not like they need to have it at a high school level yet.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I had kids I wouldn't mind a babysitter talking about evolution... it's not like they need to have it at a high school level yet.
What if a babysitter led someone's child to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ?

What then?

(This actually happened when my wife and I babysat two children years ago; and their parents had one of those how-dare-you talks with us.)

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

What then?

(This actually happened when my wife and I babysat two children years ago; and their parents had one of those how-dare-you talks with us.)

I feel that babysitters should ask first before they teach someone else's kids stuff like that. How would you feel if your babysitter had been reading from the Quran to your kids? If it is teachings you don't agree with and you don't want your kids exposed to, babysitters shouldn't teach it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I feel that babysitters should ask first before they teach someone else's kids stuff like that. How would you feel if your babysitter had been reading from the Quran to your kids? If it is teachings you don't agree with and you don't want your kids exposed to, babysitters shouldn't teach it.
You mean if I had kids, and a babysitter read the Quran to them?

Let me put it this way, my kids would probably have led them to the LORD; or at least given them a good taste of the Gospel message.

You see, the Proverbs 31 housewife -- (my wife, in this case) -- would do this:

Proverbs 31:21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.

The last part of that verse is really saying much more than meets the eye.

A few years ago, my sister-in-law asked my great niece what "Santy" was getting her for Christmas; and her response caught even my wife and I off-guard.

Train up a child ... eh? :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Let me put it this way, my kids would probably have led them to the LORD; or at least given them a good taste of the Gospel message.

Proverbs 31:21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.

A few years ago, my sister-in-law asked my great niece what "Santy" was getting her for Christmas; and her response caught even my wife and I off-guard.

If they got brainwashed by your nonsense why do you think that they could not be brainwashed by another?

It was a serious question and you dodged it. Dodging a question is a very good indicator that even you know that you are wrong.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

But what if you are wrong, and your kids adopted Islam instead?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But what if you are wrong, and your kids adopted Islam instead?
No problem.

I'll just keep taking them to church.

They'll buckle under the conviction (pressure) of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
No problem.

I'll just keep taking them to church.

They'll buckle under the conviction (pressure) of the Holy Spirit.

You are so sure, and yet, what of instead it was the baby sitter teaching them evolution, and they never trusted you again, because I imagine that you personally would never expose your kids to it yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are so sure, and yet, what of instead it was the baby sitter teaching them evolution, and they never trusted you again, because I imagine that you personally would never expose your kids to it yourself.
That's their problem, if they want to alienate themselves from me (and my wife) because I believe in creationism over evolution.

What would they think of me if I taught them evolution, then took them to church and sang creation songs, or shouted AMEN! when the preacher says evolution is a lie of the devil?

Then, come Monday, it's back to telling them about cousin Magilla [Gorilla]?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's their problem, if they want to alienate themselves from me (and my wife) because I believe in creationism over evolution.

What would they think of me if I taught them evolution, then took them to church and sang creation songs, or shouted AMEN! when the preacher says evolution is a lie of the devil?

Then, come Monday, it's back to telling them about cousin Magilla [Gorilla]?

They would probably develop a strong nonliteral interpretation of the bible, and appreciate you for being willing to expose them to an idea even though it clashed with your personal belief.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They would probably develop a strong nonliteral interpretation of the bible, and appreciate you for being willing to expose them to an idea even though it clashed with your personal belief.
Uh-huh.

I'll chance alienation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This again?

I'd figure that if you sincerely believe evolution is wrong, then you should welcome someone teaching it to your children, so you can then use your superior knowledge to refute it and explain to them why their teachers were wrong.

Unless you don't have the confidence that you're right...

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is it wrong to force teaching of evolution to children?

While I believe in evolution, if a parent believes in creationism, he/she has the right to instruct a babysitter to not 'teach' evolution to his/her children. If the babysitter doesn't listen, find a new sitter.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This again?

I'd figure that if you sincerely believe evolution is wrong, then you should welcome someone teaching it to your children, so you can then use your superior knowledge to refute it and explain to them why their teachers were wrong.

Unless you don't have the confidence that you're right...
I'm not going to pray for diarrhea because I like the taste of Pepto Bismol.

And by the same token, I'm not going to introduce my children to the tares, just so I can show them the wheat.

Do you know how bank tellers are trained to spot fake money, Strathos?

By studying real money.

Upvote 0

Old Ned

Oct 23, 2013
Canada... Originally England.
Visit site
✟8,418.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes.

If a parent wants their children to not be exposed to science, they should have the right to tell baby sitters not to teach them.

If a parent doesn't want their child "exposed to science" then unless they are living in a cave (literally) with nothing and do not use any form of health care or technology... they are simply hypocritical.

Should a babysitter teach the child?... If the information is accurate how is it any different from them teaching mathematics?

I'll give you a clue.... it's not.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens

What then?

Same situation, people are responsible for their children and should be able to be aware of how they are being taught about the world.

It sounds a little totalitarian, but I think parenting often is.

If a parent doesn't want their child "exposed to science" then unless they are living in a cave (literally) with nothing and do not use any form of health care or technology... they are simply hypocritical.

Should a babysitter teach the child?... If the information is accurate how is it any different from them teaching mathematics?

I'll give you a clue.... it's not.

To make things clear, I would be happy for my hypothetical children to be learning more about evolution and science.

However, it's still the parents right to choose timing and context. As an example teaching children about history sounds fine, even talking about world wars... telling a six year old about Auschwitz, unacceptable.

(Both of you take everything I saw with a grain of salt, I don't actually have children.)

Upvote 0