Should a G.P or nurse mention Jesus when dealing with a patient?

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[Love_Jesus]hey,

I have ponderd a lot over this and I thought I would just give my opinion...

2 years ago My mother died of Lwukemia (AML) At the time I was a sikh.
I didnt give my life to Jesus untill after I had lost my mother.

Mun was a devote sikh women all of her life... a very spiritual lady. She did mention that her nurse said something about reading the bible when she was unwell(the nurse) I didnt think anything of it.
I often find my self thinking anout this nurse of my mothers and I hope and pray she told my mother about Jesus and what he ment to her.. then maybe my mother may have cried out to Jesus when she was in ciritical condition..

Sometimes I feel like going to the hospital just to ask the nurse If she gave my mother the gospel...I'm too scared to go to the hospital and ask just in case she says no.

I would love it if she (the nurse) spoke to my mother about Jesus, Jesus said no one comes to the father but through me.. I dont know where my mother is rite now. All I know is if I was a nurse I would want to at least save one soul.

This is only my opinion. I keep picturing the horror on my mothers face when she was in and out of a coma. she looked so frightend.

I just wish she could have been looking at Jesus and smiling instead of looking frightend of who knows what.

So in answer to this Thread Question... Yes

Thanks for reading

As a Christian, I find it hard to argue with this. :)

Upvote 0

zaksmummy

Jul 6, 2007
Chesterfield
✟10,866.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
During nurse training I was told that nurses are supposed to care for their patient holistically, ie for the whole person. Unfortunately often you cant do that, its not possible. The patients I have looked after in the past where psychiatric patents who are very psychotically ill and so its not appropriate to talk about Jesus to them, although I know my husband (also a nurse) has prayed with a couple of patients, one who was a JW, who asked to be prayed for, but they were suffering from depression and not psychotic at the time.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,740.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think it is ever justified for a doctor, nurse or even a police officer to bring their faith in Jesus into the workplace?

Yes it is justified. But we must use wisdom and discernment as to the right time and situation and share respectfully and gently. And we must be ready to take the flak afterwards.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,740.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree.

Yes of course if it is appropriate to ask sensitively and the patient agrees of course. ... its a free country.

Best case scenario is if the member of public asks a question that can open the door to a spiritual conversation.

Upvote 0

AgapeGrace

Saved by Gracee
Oct 31, 2011
England
✟7,895.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I wouldn't be offended by it, but I would think it inappropriate. If my doctor offered to pray for me I might feel like I will nver get better, its so bad God must help me and not my GP???

A doctors place is to diagnose you, and try and help cure you, not preach at you! I don't think they should lsoe their jobs over it but...it is odd..

Upvote 0

Judy02

Jan 9, 2006
England.
✟28,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
^ I do see your point, but I disagree that you only need to pray when you're at a critical point in an illness, and there's no longer any hope. I think that's possibly a typical approach many Christians in the West are tempted to take. We put our faith in doctors and Western medicine first, then if and when that fails, God next. That we only need to pray once western medicine has failed us, and they can't cure us or offer an answer.

Ideally, we should all be praying continually, and there's no reason why prayer and a diagnosis and treatment plan can't all work alongside together. We should consult God and lift up our health concerns to him at all times, not just when it's terminal or serious. I think it's perfectly possible that God as well as a doctor can both help a patient at the same time. After all, it's God who has given people the knowledge and intelligence to practice as doctors in the first place.

Anyway, I'm not meaning to come across as condescending or holier than thou. Believe me, I'm guilty of doing the above that I said we should be avoiding :) I just think it's a flawed way of thinking that a lot of Western Christians probably have, that we only need to pray about our health when it's terminal, serious and when doctors can no longer do anything. Like God's just a 999 operator rather than a counsellor we can always talk to, about the minor as well as the major worries. Wow, that was a cheesy analogy, sorry :D Just one way of me trying to explain what I meant. I see your point, and have probably shared your feelings many times, I'm just saying why I think it's a flawed way of thinking. Even though I've probably done it myself too. Sorry if I came across as overly preachy, I meant to be helpful and encouraging, that there is a healthier mindset to adopt when it comes to God and our health...sorry if I wasn't. Take of my post what you will ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Judy02

Jan 9, 2006
England.
✟28,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And personally, I think a good godly doctor, if they were that concerned about a patient would naturally pray for a patient, and also their ability to correctly diagnose and treat a patient anyway :D I just think it's something that probably comes naturally, if they have the time - they don't need to announce to a patient they are praying for them all the time, or even pray publicily. I just think if it's necessary it will come naturally. And it can be done quietly, rather than out loud. Praying for patients doesn't have to be done in some loud, obnoxious imposing or condescending way.

Once a relationship with God develops more and more, prayer becomes more natural like breathing, rather than a religious ritual, you'll hardly even need to think about it.

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[Judy02]And personally, I think a good godly doctor, if they were that concerned about a patient would naturally pray for a patient, and also their ability to correctly diagnose and treat a patient anyway :D I just think it's something that probably comes naturally, if they have the time - they don't need to announce to a patient they are praying for them all the time, or even pray publicily. I just think if it's necessary it will come naturally. And it can be done quietly, rather than out loud. Praying for patients doesn't have to be done in some loud, obnoxious imposing or condescending way.

Once a relationship with God develops more and more, prayer becomes more natural like breathing, rather than a religious ritual, you'll hardly even need to think about it.

Good points :)

My faith was an instrumental part of my wanting to work in healthcare. Who knows how many Christians are working day to day with those who are sick. I'm sure many of them in the quiet times will be lifting their patients up in prayer. You come across certain people on the wards or in the clinics that you immediately feel led to pray for when at home. Like you said, it just becomes an almost natural thing to do.

I have also noticed, especially whilst as a patient in London, that some of the African nurses seem to be more open about their faith. Perhaps it is just a difference of culture..

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

Has anyone realised that some patients would be so grateful for a doctor to pray for them? One of the doctors at my surgery who is a Christian knows I am a Christian. It would not only be entirely appropriate for us to pray for each other, but entirely inappropriate for another secularist to say we shouldnt. Tax payers are tax payers, they dont pay taxes just for secularists to be able to dictate what happens for everyone.

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[brightmorningstar]Has anyone realised that some patients would be so grateful for a doctor to pray for them? One of the doctors at my surgery who is a Christian knows I am a Christian. It would not only be entirely appropriate for us to pray for each other, but entirely inappropriate for another secularist to say we shouldnt. Tax payers are tax payers, they dont pay taxes just for secularists to be able to dictate what happens for everyone.
Absolutely :)

I have had a nurse pray for me, whilst being a patient, when I really needed it. Didn't ask her to pray for me, but she knew I was a Christian and she could see that prayer, at that specific moment, would benefit me greatly and it did. I thank God that He has placed believers in hospitals, in schools, in the police service etc.. because there are times when we need a fellow believer, even if they are not well known to us, to offer those words of encouragement and faith. So for me personally, it was one of those encounters that I believe God orchestrated because He could see that I needed that prayer and that encouragement at that specific moment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.