USA
✟8,398.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The CDC has advised that everyone avoid extra contact with others during this uncertain time of Swine Flu. I understand that the Swine flu virus remains catchable for up to two hours after an infected person touches an object as a door knob, computer key board, and any thing else they may come in contact. The powers to be says that it does not seem to be as bad as expected, yet they state that you never know when a virus will mutate, which changes the whole ball game.
From last night, the confirmed number of cases world wide went from 367 yesterday to this morning 615. The Catholic churches in St. Louis, Mo. has stopped all hand shaking and drinking of wine until further notice. It is my thought that this is a good idea because recently a lady in frront of me took out her false teeth, then turns around to shake my hand. Others are forever sneezing and coughing in their hands and turning to shake hands. OH, I don't think so. I am 62 years old and both me and my wife had just the regular flu a month ago and we were very ill.
So as far as not shaking hands and drinking wine at Mass until further notice, what do you think?

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The CDC has advised that everyone avoid extra contact with others during this uncertain time of Swine Flu. I understand that the Swine flu virus remains catchable for up to two hours after an infected person touches an object as a door knob, computer key board, and any thing else they may come in contact. The powers to be says that it does not seem to be as bad as expected, yet they state that you never know when a virus will mutate, which changes the whole ball game.
From last night, the confirmed number of cases world wide went from 367 yesterday to this morning 615. The Catholic churches in St. Louis, Mo. has stopped all hand shaking and drinking of wine until further notice. It is my thought that this is a good idea because recently a lady in frront of me took out her false teeth, then turns around to shake my hand. Others are forever sneezing and coughing in their hands and turning to shake hands. OH, I don't think so. I am 62 years old and both me and my wife had just the regular flu a month ago and we were very ill.
So as far as not shaking hands and drinking wine at Mass until further notice, what do you think?

A few years back in Sacramento there was a severe flu season and the diocese also asked that physical contact be limited.

At the parish I attend now- the priest encourages holding hands during the Our Father even though this practice is outlawed by the RCC and not part of the Mass- hopefully this garbage will end. But what do you expect in a world where nuns bring dogs into the Church for Mass ?

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
I think people being paranoid about the illness previously known as swine flu ---is just plan silly. Do what you would normally do. If you would normally avoid holding hands, and receiving from the chalice-- do that. If you wouldn't normally refrain from those things then don't.

In our household it's SOP to wash hands right after Mass-the pews, the booklets, the holy water, the collection baskets....all touched by lots and lots and lots of hands.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just ran across this-

Swine Flu Liturgy Tips

The U.S. bishops’ Committee on Divine Worship has posted a short Q&A document about dealing with the current flu outbreak.

Go here to read the 10 questions and answers about the bishops’ assessment of the health situation and preventive measures that can be taken at Mass. The document was developed in conjunction with the Centers for Disease Control.

The gist of the bishops’ message is contained in this quote from the document: “[T]he need for the introduction of widespread liturgical adaptations for the prevention of the transmission of influenza in the dioceses of the United States of America is not evident at this time.”

http://www.ncregister.com/daily/swine_flu_liturgy_tips/

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.