US
✟16,633.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
well the top reasons i feel people divorce is 1. lack of sex and 2 money issues. sex is not everything but at same time you need a good sex life in your relationship other wise often you seek it from someone else or from inappropriate content. most common is after kids are born husband and wifes fall into the trap of being to busy for eachother. yes life is busy if ya work 40 hours and do house work and take care of kids. but you still need to set time for just you and your spouse. i know my friends who have kids they make a point to send kids to bed early a few nights a week and lock bedroom door so that they can make love or cuddle up have time together and not be interupted. if an emergency happens kids can always knock at the door and if its emergency deal with it if not send kids back to bed. 2 is money seems like young married people buy big homes and big cars and big boats and money starts to be an issue cant keep up on bills. its like live with what you got and can aford. not everyone is able to make 100,000 a year not every family is able to have both husband and wife work. if ya make 30,000 a year then live with what you can afford if it means old houses and old cars and old hand me downs then that is what ya do.

Upvote 0

sniperelite7

Jun 13, 2005
✟15,740.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
My problem here is everyone here (with the exception of the athiests) are lumping sexual fantasy in with lust. Why? Lust is the intent to do something harmful. Mental images for the sake of self pleasure are not an intent to do anything to anyone. Planning on slipping a roofie in someones drink or manipulating emotions with the intent on getting into someone else's pants strikes me as a more appropriate example of lust.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
My problem here is everyone here (with the exception of the athiests) are lumping sexual fantasy in with lust. Why? Lust is the intent to do something harmful. Mental images for the sake of self pleasure are not an intent to do anything to anyone. Planning on slipping a roofie in someones drink or manipulating emotions with the intent on getting into someone else's pants strikes me as a more appropriate example of lust.

That depends on which Christian you're talking to. Some think that if you've thought it, it's just as bad as doing it. Which is silly, if you ask me. Some people really believe that, though.

Upvote 0
I

IAmCatwoman

I'm an atheist and I'm not a very sexual person. Has nothing to do with my religious or sexual preference, I'm just not to concerned with it. It varies person to person. I've had friends who I swear were so hyper sexual that they would out and do it under any circumstance. I had a friend who I dropped of just for second so she could pick up her wallet. 20 minutes later I found out she decided to have sex right after with her boyfriend at the time - in a trip that was just supposed to be picking up her wallet (needless to say, I wasn't happy about it).

Point is, it is natural. Sexuality is a part of being human, or any animal for that matter. But the nice thing about humans is we have common sense, so make sure you use it.

Upvote 0

mathclub

May 15, 2011
Switzerland
✟15,838.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm a Christian, abstinent, and not planning on changing either one of those things. However, my major is Health and Wellness so I've been learning a lot about human physiology lately, including sex. Puberty is a complicated and confusing time for people. Sexual desires are a result of our brain chemistry and hormones, right? Can we really fault a pre-teen boy (or girl) for giving in and masturbating once or twice? Isn't it just a natural human function to be sexually curious? Also, it's unhealthy to suppress your sexual urges and hate yourself, especially during a time as tumultuous as puberty.

I guess the sexual aspects of Christianity are the ones that confuse me most. I'm not a very sexual person at all; totally looking forward to waiting until marriage or dying a virgin. However, I just can't wrap my head around certain things - such as masturbation, sexual curiosity - as being wrong.

Thoughts?

There is an assumption in your post that what is 'natural' is ok, and what is 'unnatural' is therefore not ok. It is the sort of argument often trotted out in opposition to homosexuality.

whether something is natural (however that is defined) or not has nothing to do with the morality of that act

Table Tennis is not natural. Does that make it a sin? Does that mean we should make it illegal? Does this make it bad?

Murder is natural. People have been murdering each other since the dawn of time, and other animals murder each other every day. Does this mean murder is ok?

To answer your post, all of those things are ok, but not because of whether they are natural or not

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There is an assumption in your post that what is 'natural' is ok, and what is 'unnatural' is therefore not ok. It is the sort of argument often trotted out in opposition to homosexuality.

whether something is natural (however that is defined) or not has nothing to do with the morality of that act

Table Tennis is not natural. Does that make it a sin? Does that mean we should make it illegal? Does this make it bad?

Murder is natural. People have been murdering each other since the dawn of time, and other animals murder each other every day. Does this mean murder is ok?

To answer your post, all of those things are ok, but not because of whether they are natural or not

That's true, but the OP did, after all, ask if sexuality was "natural."

Upvote 0

mathclub

May 15, 2011
Switzerland
✟15,838.00
Faith
Atheist
That's true, but the OP did, after all, ask if sexuality was "natural."

my point is that it doesn't matter whether it's natural or not.

I think she wants to know if it's wrong, and she's incorrectly using the word natural instead of immoral or wrong or other words that I think more accurately sum up what she's trying to ask.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

I think she wants to know if it's wrong, and she's incorrectly using the word natural instead of immoral or wrong or other words that I think more accurately sum up what she's trying to ask.

No disagreement here. Like another poster already said, the only thing concerning human sexuality that's unnatural is celibacy. Whether that's morally right or wrong is a completely different question.

Do I think it's morally wrong for boys (or girls) to touch? heh. Naw.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

That is not a helpful position. We need to clearly distinguish between sexual morality, i.e. what's right ad wrong', and human sexuality, part of being human with gender, sexual organs and reproductive capacity.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jminnesota

Sep 4, 2012
US
✟16,633.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
killing someone in my view is a bigger sin then masterbating or having sex before your married. that is just my view. unless you kill someone in self defense like if someone is about to kill you or your family and only way to save yourselfs is to kill the bad guy.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
killing someone in my view is a bigger sin then masterbating or having sex before your married. that is just my view. unless you kill someone in self defense like if someone is about to kill you or your family and only way to save yourselfs is to kill the bad guy.
Aren't all sins equal in the eyes of God?

Upvote 0

jminnesota

Sep 4, 2012
US
✟16,633.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
true but i still think a murder or someone that rapes someone has done a bigger sin is all. then someone that just wants to please himself or has sex before being married. i mean on earth you go to prison for killing someone but you dont for masterbating is all i am saying

Upvote 0

mathclub

May 15, 2011
Switzerland
✟15,838.00
Faith
Atheist
That is not a helpful position. We need to clearly distinguish between sexual morality, i.e. what's right ad wrong', and human sexuality, part of being human with gender, sexual organs and reproductive capacity.

John
NZ

It is helpful, because I am clarifying that whether something is 'natural' or not has nothing to do with whether it is right or wrong.

do you understand that?

Upvote 0