Sex before outside of marriage

pcgeek12

Oct 31, 2010
✟7,628.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
it is wrong to have sex outside the marriage,Galatians 5:19-22. look at Solomon who had so many wives but in the book of 1 Kings 11:4 even in the book of Ecclesiastes last chapter few ending verse he says fear god and keep his commandments for this is a whole duty of man. so how? u decide and see all the scripture i have put here in for u

Upvote 0
L

Life2Christ

Any place in the bible that mentions fornication is essentially talking about sex outside of marriage. But if you put the bible away for a moment, what man has the right to have sex with a woman who is not his wife? They could say they are engaged but anything could happen to deter the wedding and they couple may not get married. But yet they are sharing all kinds of intimacies. It is a form of theft really (for both parties). My ex-husband was very sexually active before we got married (I was not). He decided to leave me for someone who he already had a sexual relationship with in the past. Not saying that was a catalyst but I can't even imagine how many times my husband thought of his past lovers while he was with me.

Upvote 0

largeli

May 27, 2011
✟7,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Norah63

Exodus 15:26
26 He said, “If you listen carefully to the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you.”

I agree with this BUT where is Gods command regarding sex outside of marriage or multiple wives?

PCgeek12

Ecclesiastes 12:13
13 Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the duty of all mankind.

Again, guys, I agree.....Keep His commandments. My question is WHERE is this commandment?

David followed Gods commands and I dont believe he would do something so blatant as take multiple wives and concubines if he thought it was against Gods plan for him.....same with Solomon..... I mean, I think the reason for them to do this wasnt because they wanted to have lots of sex, but because it was an honor to have children back then so your name could go on for generations. Since one woman could only bare one child every 9 months, I figure the kings took lots of wives so they could multiply their family tree faster.....is that an accurate assumption?

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2011
✟7,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
look up fornication as far as your sex before marriage question, then apply it to verses on fornication. As far as David and Solomon go, that was the old testament. These men were not perfect by any means, they were just chosen by God to carry out his will. Abraham laughed at God when he told him that he was to bear a child in his old age. But he is still considered to have had unmeasurable faith in God.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As far as David and Solomon go, that was the old testament.

What does that mean? "Remeber the Sabbath" was the old testament and so are the verses quoted re: fornication.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 8, 2011
✟7,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The old testament was a history of the Jews. God does not agree with polygamy, that is just what some of his people chose to do. Just as Christians we sometimes do what we want to do, that is why we must have a renewing of the mind. We should definitely be married to only one person at a time just for the simple fact that as humans we tend to favor one person over another.
[FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]15[/FONT] And Laban said unto Jacob, Because thou art my brother, shouldest thou therefore serve me for nought? Tell me, what shall thy wages be? [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]16[/FONT] And Laban had two daughters. The name of the elder was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]17[/FONT] And Leah's eyes were tender. But Rachel was beautiful and well favored. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]18[/FONT] And Jacob loved Rachel. And he said, I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]19[/FONT] And Laban said, It is better that I give her to thee, than that I should give her to another man. Abide with me. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]20[/FONT] And Jacob served seven years for Rachel. And they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]21[/FONT] And Jacob said unto Laban, Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that I may go in unto her. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]22[/FONT] And Laban gathered together all the men of the place, and made a feast. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]23[/FONT] And it came to pass in the evening, that he took Leah his daughter, and brought her to him. And he went in unto her. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]24[/FONT] And Laban gave Zilpah his handmaid unto his daughter Leah for a handmaid. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]25[/FONT] And it came to pass in the morning that, behold, it was Leah. And he said to Laban, What is this thou hast done unto me? Did not I serve with thee for Rachel? Wherefore then hast thou beguiled me? [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]26[/FONT] And Laban said, It is not so done in our place, to give the younger before the first-born. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]27[/FONT] Fulfil the week of this one, and we will give thee the other also for the service which thou shalt serve with me yet seven other years. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]28[/FONT] And jacob did so, and fulfilled her week. And he gave him Rachel his daughter to wife. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]29[/FONT] And Laban gave to Rachel his daughter Bilhah his handmaid to be her handmaid. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]30[/FONT] And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years.
[FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]31[/FONT] And Jehovah saw that Leah was hated, and he opened her womb. But Rachel was barren. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]32[/FONT] And Leah conceived, and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben.
Gen 29:15-32 (ASV)
I believe God did not approve of Jacob having favor for Rachel and not Leah. That is why Rachel was barren for a long time and Leah abounded with sons. As far as fornication goes, It is also mentioned in the New Testament. Acts 15:20, 29

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2011
✟7,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Only Jews were required to keep the Sabbath. The Sabbath was not a requirement of the Gentiles covenant with God. If we choose to follow Judaism, we should follow all of the laws in the old testament, not just the sabbath.
[FONT='Georgia', 'Times New Roman', serif][FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]1[/FONT] Now the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]2[/FONT] "Speak to the children of Israel, saying: 'If a person sins unintentionally against any of the commandments of the Lord in anything which ought not to be done, and does any of them, [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]3[/FONT] if the anointed priest sins, bringing guilt on the people, then let him offer to the Lord for his sin which he has sinned a young bull without blemish as a sin offering. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]4[/FONT] He shall bring the bull to the door of the tabernacle of meeting before the Lord, lay his hand on the bull's head, and kill the bull before the Lord. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]5[/FONT] Then the anointed priest shall take some of the bull's blood and bring it to the tabernacle of meeting. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]6[/FONT] The priest shall dip his finger in the blood and sprinkle some of the blood seven times before the Lord, in front of the veil of the sanctuary. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]7[/FONT] And the priest shall put some of the blood on the horns of the altar of sweet incense before the Lord, which is in the tabernacle of meeting; and he shall pour the remaining blood of the bull at the base of the altar of the burnt offering, which is at the door of the tabernacle of meeting. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]8[/FONT] He shall take from it all the fat of the bull as the sin offering. The fat that covers the entrails and all the fat which is on the entrails, [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]9[/FONT] the two kidneys and the fat that is on them by the flanks, and the fatty lobe attached to the liver above the kidneys, he shall remove, [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]10[/FONT] as it was taken from the bull of the sacrifice of the peace offering; and the priest shall burn them on the altar of the burnt offering. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]11[/FONT] But the bull's hide and all its flesh, with its head and legs, its entrails and offal-- [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]12[/FONT] the whole bull he shall carry outside the camp to a clean place, where the ashes are poured out, and burn it on wood with fire; where the ashes are poured out it shall be burned. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]13[/FONT] 'Now if the whole congregation of Israel sins unintentionally, and the thing is hidden from the eyes of the assembly, and they have done something against any of the commandments of the Lord in anything which should not be done, and are guilty; [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]14[/FONT] when the sin which they have committed becomes known, then the assembly shall offer a young bull for the sin, and bring it before the tabernacle of meeting. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]15[/FONT] And the elders of the congregation shall lay their hands on the head of the bull before the Lord. Then the bull shall be killed before the Lord. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]16[/FONT] The anointed priest shall bring some of the bull's blood to the tabernacle of meeting. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]17[/FONT] Then the priest shall dip his finger in the blood and sprinkle it seven times before the Lord, in front of the veil. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]18[/FONT] And he shall put some of the blood on the horns of the altar which is before the Lord, which is in the tabernacle of meeting; and he shall pour the remaining blood at the base of the altar of burnt offering, which is at the door of the tabernacle of meeting. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]19[/FONT] He shall take all the fat from it and burn it on the altar. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]20[/FONT] And he shall do with the bull as he did with the bull as a sin offering; thus he shall do with it. So the priest shall make atonement for them, and it shall be forgiven them. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]21[/FONT] Then he shall carry the bull outside the camp, and burn it as he burned the first bull. It is a sin offering for the assembly. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]22[/FONT] 'When a ruler has sinned, and done something unintentionally against any of the commandments of the Lord his God in anything which should not be done, and is guilty, [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]23[/FONT] or if his sin which he has committed comes to his knowledge, he shall bring as his offering a kid of the goats, a male without blemish. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]24[/FONT] And he shall lay his hand on the head of the goat, and kill it at the place where they kill the burnt offering before the Lord. It is a sin offering. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]25[/FONT] The priest shall take some of the blood of the sin offering with his finger, put it on the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and pour its blood at the base of the altar of burnt offering. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]26[/FONT] And he shall burn all its fat on the altar, like the fat of the sacrifice of the peace offering. So the priest shall make atonement for him concerning his sin, and it shall be forgiven him. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]27[/FONT] 'If anyone of the common people sins unintentionally by doing something against any of the commandments of the Lord in anything which ought not to be done, and is guilty, [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]28[/FONT] or if his sin which he has committed comes to his knowledge, then he shall bring as his offering a kid of the goats, a female without blemish, for his sin which he has committed. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]29[/FONT] And he shall lay his hand on the head of the sin offering, and kill the sin offering at the place of the burnt offering. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]30[/FONT] Then the priest shall take some of its blood with his finger, put it on the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and pour all the remaining blood at the base of the altar. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]31[/FONT] He shall remove all its fat, as fat is removed from the sacrifice of the peace offering; and the priest shall burn it on the altar for a sweet aroma to the Lord. So the priest shall make atonement for him, and it shall be forgiven him. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]32[/FONT] 'If he brings a lamb as his sin offering, he shall bring a female without blemish. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]33[/FONT] Then he shall lay his hand on the head of the sin offering, and kill it as a sin offering at the place where they kill the burnt offering. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]34[/FONT] The priest shall take some of the blood of the sin offering with his finger, put it on the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and pour all the remaining blood at the base of the altar. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]35[/FONT] He shall remove all its fat, as the fat of the lamb is removed from the sacrifice of the peace offering. Then the priest shall burn it on the altar, according to the offerings made by fire to the Lord. So the priest shall make atonement for his sin that he has committed, and it shall be forgiven him. [/FONT]​
Lev 4:1-35 (NKJV)

Upvote 0

largeli

May 27, 2011
✟7,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so basically God never said thall shall not have multiple wives, or thall shall not have sex before marriage. Is that right? I mean I know Paul advised people to get married if they want to have sex, but God never spoke directly to this issue....

David, Solomon, and all the others who took multiple wives....were they sinning?

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 7:2

But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

This scripture answers both of your questions.

And yes, the kings in the OT were in fact disobeying God. He did not apporve of their polygamy:

Deuteronomy 17:17

17And he shall not multiply wives to himself, that his [mind and] heart turn not away; neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

Curious...Where does it say in the bible not to have sex before or outside of marriage?

And how was it justified to have many wives and concubines?

Upvote 0

Lenity

Oct 14, 2011
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Interesting, this seems to be Christian axiom rather than a legitimate commandment from the Godhead. Not that I'm going to wipe the sweat from my brow like "Phew! Time to go hit the clubs."

I want to see where in the bible that JESUS or God declares it to be immoralty as well, the disciples have no right to declare or set divine law. We lump together many things in "sexual immoralty" but I usually think of that as homosexuality. Needless to say I'm celebate anyway.

Another thing, in first Corinthians 7, Paul is speaking, saying marriage stops us from commiting sexual immortalty, but he is a man prone to error, and there is no way to tell how exactly he came to that conclusion. It seems to me that it doesn't remedy the situation at all, as he said to prevent sexual immortalty one should get a wife or husband, but that doesn't necessarily conquer lust, does it? I know lot's of Christians who hurried into a marriage just for an excuse to toy around, and I don't think that it's right at all. I think people are capable of commiting sexual immoralty when married as they can when not.

I'm glad I've never been interested in that whole mess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 8, 2011
✟7,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
honestly I'm only human. In my opinion, yes. all the references in the bible on how a wife should behave are singular, not plural. No there is no definite black and white "don't do this" as far as multiple wives go. We are taught to follow law or government in the new testament, and polygamy is definitely against the law in most places.
[FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]3[/FONT] People who do what is right don't have to be afraid of the government. But people who do what is wrong should be afraid of it. Would you like to live without being afraid of the government? Do what is right, and it will praise you.
Romans 13:3

As far as sexual immorality, there are several verses focused on lusts, orgies, homosexuality, etc. How can a person deny sexual immorality is considered a sin when it is written in the bible.
[FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]13[/FONT] We should live decently, as people who live in the light of day. Wild parties, drunkenness, sexual immorality, promiscuity, rivalry, and jealousy cannot be part of our lives. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]14[/FONT] Instead, live like the Lord Jesus Christ did, and forget about satisfying the desires of your sinful nature.
Romans 13:12-14

Upvote 0

MasterpieceMesias

King of Stoic Cynicism
Feb 20, 2011
Somewhere away from people
✟8,602.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Interesting, this seems to be Christian axiom rather than a legitimate commandment from the Godhead. Not that I'm going to wipe the sweat from my brow like "Phew! Time to go hit the clubs."

I want to see where in the bible that JESUS or God declares it to be immoralty as well, the disciples have no right to declare or set divine law. We lump together many things in "sexual immoralty" but I usually think of that as homosexuality. Needless to say I'm celebate anyway.

Another thing, in first Corinthians 7, Paul is speaking, saying marriage stops us from commiting sexual immortalty, but he is a man prone to error, and there is no way to tell how exactly he came to that conclusion. It seems to me that it doesn't remedy the situation at all, as he said to prevent sexual immortalty one should get a wife or husband, but that doesn't necessarily conquer lust, does it? I know lot's of Christians who hurried into a marriage just for an excuse to toy around, and I don't think that it's right at all. I think people are capable of commiting sexual immoralty when married as they can when not.

I concur

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul was an apostle appointed by God,

Galatians 1:1 From Paul, an apostle (not from men, nor by human agency, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father who raised him from the dead)

visited by the resurrected Jesus and given direct revelation of the gospel by Jesus Himself:

Galatians 1:11-12 "For I would have you know that the gospel which was preached by me, is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ"

His writings are scripture:

2 Peter 3:16

as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

All scripture is inspired by God:

Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Paul was given apostolic authority to build up the church:

2 Corinthians 13:10

Have you been thinking all along that we are trying to defend ourselves before you? We are speaking before God in the authority of the Messiah, and everything, dear friends, is meant to build you up.

His writings contain the commands of the Lord:

1 Corinthians 14:37

If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord.

We are to obey the commands the Lord gave us through Paul just as much as the commands He gave us personally. Sex outside of marriage is a sin, and it has always been a sin.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟801,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just because some had wives and concubines in Scripture, it doesn't mean it had Yahweh's seal of approval.

Matt 5:28 Jesus set the standard for today "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tackattack

Non-Denominational Church of God, Anderson
Aug 13, 2010
Virginia
✟15,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What about I Tim. 3:2
"
2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; "

and Tit. 1:6
"If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. "

I count those that are celibate better than myself according to scripture. How much more time I would have for God if I dind't have the duties of a husband or a father. I am thankful for the blessings of a family though, immensely. It may mean I am more distracted by this world, but there is no joy like the joy of a child learning to talk to God and accepting Christ with a willing heart and knowing mind.

Upvote 0