• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Severe Anxiety about Spiritual Things

CaitM

Warrior Princess
Jul 29, 2021
Melbourne
✟20,612.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
I have been struggling with anxiety for a long time and a lot of it seems to be around spiritual things like hearing God's voice, certain parts of the Bible, surrendering to God and trusting Him with my life and future, the Devil and spiritual warfare, death, and on and on.
Please help.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟965,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your anxiety is its own problem.
The two most important things that you can do about it are
  1. get a psychiatrist and
  2. get to a church that is good about dealing with mental illnesses, like
(Links above are locators.)

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟169,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I suffer from anxiety too.
I found these links helpful and informative. Hopefully they will too. I hope they bring you comfort.
Anxiety and Our Life in Christ - Health & Wellness Articles - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

A technique from the Desert Fathers to control our negative thoughts

The Struggle Against the Thoughts (Logismoi) - Annunciation Orthodox Christian Church

Continuous war with imaginary enemies

Motivated by Fear — St. Barbara Orthodox Church
Also, when assaulted with anxious thoughts:
Do not trust the nature of compulsive thoughts
Do not consider engaging in a dialogue with them
Pray for God’s Grace (prayer, Sacrament)

Finally:
While "fear of the Lord" that is "the beginning of wisdom" and which leads to life. (Proverbs 1:7; 9:10; 19:23) remember that “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment”(1 John 4:18)

edit: and yes I agree with @Sabertooth, you should talk to someone about your anxiety. It will help.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

CaitM

Warrior Princess
Jul 29, 2021
Melbourne
✟20,612.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Friendly
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

CaitM

Warrior Princess
Jul 29, 2021
Melbourne
✟20,612.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suffer from anxiety too.
I found these links helpful and informative. Hopefully they will too. I hope they bring you comfort.
Anxiety and Our Life in Christ - Health & Wellness Articles - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

A technique from the Desert Fathers to control our negative thoughts

The Struggle Against the Thoughts (Logismoi) - Annunciation Orthodox Christian Church

Continuous war with imaginary enemies

Motivated by Fear — St. Barbara Orthodox Church
Also, when assaulted with anxious thoughts:
Do not trust the nature of compulsive thoughts
Do not consider engaging in a dialogue with them
Pray for God’s Grace (prayer, Sacrament)

Finally:
While "fear of the Lord" that is "the beginning of wisdom" and which leads to life. (Proverbs 1:7; 9:10; 19:23) remember that “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment”(1 John 4:18)

edit: and yes I agree with @Sabertooth, you should talk to someone about your anxiety. It will help.

God Bless.

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry you struggle with anxiety too. I'll check out some of those links.
God bless.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟326,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If it's around the ideas of spiritual matters then a good christian counselor can help a lot. A lot of times people don't have good bible understanding, especially regarding the foundations and the finished work of Christ. As you gain in this knowledge the fears dissipates, which is the driving force of the spiritual anxiety. This of course if barring physical problems or illnesses that cause chemicals to mess up in our systems. I went anxiety free for a couple of decades I guess once coming to deeper understanding of Christ and scripture but it's returned for a season here since my wife's passing. This is conditional anxiety and requires a bit of medical help to get through this season in my life. But it's a major upset in your life to have lost someone that close who was there for 47 years.

Some folks have mis wiring in the brain causing anxiety or OCD etc. Trauma too. Meds aren't always the answer but in some cases such as these are needed to get calm enough to reason with the bible and God. Thus professional help both medically and spiritually can be required.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please pray for me!! I'm in a lot of emotional, mental, and spiritual distress.
Please pray for God to have mercy and grace on me and to give me life?
Dear one,
I do like to pray for you sincerely, but I don’t pray for those whom I don’t know their names. I understand that this is a forum that people don’t reveal for their real names for their own reason. You can post your name in conversation post directly to me if you want me to pray for you. Please let me know whether you have been baptized with water and Spirit. Tell me if you have repented in contrition and truth. And tell what you like me to pray for.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear one,
Pray that God will renew in you a spirit of repentance so that He can turn His judgement into grace again and end your plight.

Dear one,
accept Jesus’s offer of salvation and begin a new life.

To God be all glory and thanksgiving. Amen.

Upvote 0