LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I never sad that Wiliams lost the match because of the umpire, so I suggest it is you who should stop making things up. Williams lost because her opponent played better than she did and she didn't help herself by having points deducted because of her behaviour.
You complaining about police brutality and some racist GOP idiot has nothing to do with a game of tennis. I didn't see any police brutality on the court that day, nor did I hear some GOP idiot make racist remarks. What happened that day was a tennis match where the umpire made perfectly correct calls that Williams didn't like, prompting her to direct an abusive tirade against him. Williams is supposed to be a role model, but on that particular day, she set an appalling example of how not to behave. She kept demanding that the umpire apologised to her. Why, for umpiring a match correctly? If anyone should be offering apologies it is Williams.
I take it that your last paragraph about the William's caricature was not directed at me as I have made no comment about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,573.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Your personal opinion does not constitute fact. It's an important distinction often overlooked by people playing the race card. :wave:
What color was he supposed to make her pony tail, seeing as it's blonde and all. :scratch:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...e-argument-naomi-osaka-coaching-a8529391.html
D216E28D-F985-4F8D-8BA8-8D7CD6CB4086.jpeg

Please stop bearing false witness. The cartoonist clearly and irrefutably drew a blonde white opponent, as I have demonstrated.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟221,157.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Still waiting for you to tell us what color he was supposed to make her pony tail, seeing as it's blonde and all. :scratch:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...e-argument-naomi-osaka-coaching-a8529391.html

its doesn't matter how many times you point out she has a blonde dyed pony tail or that if you look at the skin tone of the serena caricature compared to the Osaka one, the osaka caricature is only slightly "lighter" if at all, and Osaka does look slightly "lighter" in skin tone in reality, they've decided on it being racist and went through the usual rationalisation to justify their faux-outrage.

There is caricatures like this everyday in the newspapers, just as grotesque about all sorts of people, the fact they're dismissing that to suit their narrative speaks volumes.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So why is it still blowing up ? Serena has calmed down ... why is it still such a big deal ?
Well this is a discussion over what is sportsmanship. So extreme examples are what are being discussed... extrapolate more widely if you feel so strongly in support of that particular player's behaviour. The extrapolation being - If a referee makes a decision - abide by it. If you wish to complain about a referee, use the appropriate channels and don't confront the referee who's doing his/her job.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Men have done the same and have not been maligned as such, that's Williams point. She can be angry, she can express anger, yet when a woman does that, she is often considered hysterical or "childish.
When respect for sporting officials is abandoned, then its no longer sportsmanship. It is not an excuse to say "well those other guys did it and got away with it". If you breached the code of conduct then the debate ends. What follows is the prescribed sanction.

The player confronting the referee (and this happens a lot - soccer has to be the worst) has no recourse with rants such as - I disagree with your call - its sexist - its [insert excuse] - All that doesnt matter. Abide by the officials call and respect it. If the official has made bad calls then there is an appropriate channel to make a complaint.

As it is her behaviour role modelled precisely the opposite. It disrespected the official and her opponent and the game of tennis. She was quite theatrical and played to the audience who ended up booing and totally tainting a well deserved win from her opponent.

So I dont want to hear excuses such as - shes only human, she was upset bla bla..... heck she had two warning to cut it out before she lost the game. Be professional and quit the theatrics.

Lastly - I doubt there's anyone on this site tha'ts more Feminist in ideology than me. I was appalled she pulled the "sexist card" This is NOT a feminist issue. Its a bad behaviour issue.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't referring to the official. I think that, generally, he has handled himself well.

My comment was for all those who were still blowing off about Serena having a bad day ... as if it, somehow, wasn't common to the human condition ...
It is common I agree - and it is human I agree - its not an excuse though and when it occurs one should not be exempt from sanction, or feel outraged when the prescribed sanction is applied.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is common I agree - and it is human I agree - its not an excuse though and when it occurs one should not be exempt from sanction, or feel outraged when the prescribed sanction is applied.

It is not the sanctioning, ... it is how the story has blown up, like this is the first time anything like this has happened in sports/tennis.

I don't even watch much tennis ... and I know about John McEnroe's historic blow-outs, Jimmy Conners and Andre Agassi.

And I've seen the mashup that demonstrates that such behavior continues in tennis, especially among the men. Compared to some of what I've seen, ... Serena was pretty calm in comparison ...

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It is not the sanctioning, ... it is how the story has blown up, like this is the first time anything like this has happened in sports/tennis.

I don't even watch much tennis ... and I know about John McEnroe's historic blow-outs, Jimmy Conners and Andre Agassi.

And I've seen the mashup that demonstrates that such behaviour continues in tennis, especially among the men. Compared to some of what I've seen, ... Serena was pretty calm in comparison ...
I don't follow much tennis either but I know enough that the players you speak off are from a decades ago era. I hope now we, as a sporting community, expect higher standards of conduct, and if that cant be delivered by players, that they are sanctioned accordingly. But they shouldn't just shrug there shoulders and say - well other people have done it. That has to remain unacceptable.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't follow much tennis either but I know enough that the players you speak off are from a decades ago era. I hope now we, as a sporting community, expect higher standards of conduct, and if that cant be delivered by players, that they are sanctioned accordingly. But they shouldn't just shrug there shoulders and say - well other people have done it. That has to remain unacceptable.

I think that my point is ... that the sports situation hasn't really changed ... since the days in which I grew up.

There is nothing new under the sun ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
View attachment 240777
Please stop bearing false witness. The cartoonist clearly and irrefutably drew a blonde white opponent, as I have demonstrated.
Looking at the RGB average of each persons skin, not really.

Serena 202 180 159
Naomi 216 184 161
Judge 228 209 195

I'm assuming the colors look more "white", when she is the smallest figure with any color.

He probably used something like this:

usa_today_11207818.0.jpg

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Summer madness is not the one lying about how the cartoonist portrayed the race of the opponent.
View attachment 240753
Please follow your own advice and cease bearing false witness when it has been demonstrated that he has portrayed the opponent as white and blonde.

In this cartoon, Osaka isn't the same color as the judge, she's a shade darker. Her blonde pony tail was depicted as blonde. What should the cartoonist have done to make her sufficiently Asian?

• Winner
Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
In this cartoon, Osaka isn't the same color as the judge, she's a shade darker. Her blonde pony tail was depicted as blonde. What should the cartoonist have done to make her sufficiently Asian?
Epicanthic folds and a coolie hat.

You know, so cartoonist isn't racist and made her sufficiently Asian.

• Haha
Upvote 0