Seperation of Church and state

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Im not sure you understand theories and laws. Evolution can Never become a law.

There is actually a theory of gravity, and it can never become a law.

May I suggest you take a look at the science forum, there are plenty of christians there that agree with evolution.

May I also suggest posting your comments about the big bang there too. There was a recent discussion that the universe may have a zero total amount of energy, because of opposing forces. So the idea (not sure if its a theory) is that the universe is just a very complex way of saying Zero, or nothing. :)

Today at 04:47 PM SUNSTONE said this in Post #100

The missing link is the lack of evidence that would make the theory of evolution, a law of evolution.

There are theorys and then there are laws. Like the law of gravity.

What those laws I put up is the debate for creationism. If there is an end then there is a beginning. If matter can not be created nor destroyed, only changed, then where did everything come from. Thats where scientists come up with the "big bang theory".

If you think that most christians, believe in evolution and that Adam and Eve is just a metephor, then show me your evidence on that statement. I don't know a single Christian that believes that.

"Theorys are believed"

Look up the definition of "believed" it says "to have religous faith" and to "have an opinion".

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Today at 07:47 PM SUNSTONE said this in Post #100

The missing link is the lack of evidence that would make the theory of evolution, a law of evolution.

Did you not read any of what was posted above for you to read? Theories DO NO BECOME LAWS.  That is not how science works!

There are theorys and then there are laws. Like the law of gravity.

So I guess that you were not aware of the fact that Newton’s Law of Gravity” was replaced by the Theory of Relativity? Your understanding here is woefully inadequate.

It was found that the old Law of Gravity, while it worked in normal situations, broke down in extreme cases of gravity and speed.  It was replaced by a theory – the Theory of Relativity. 

What those laws I put up is the debate for creationism. If there is an end then there is a beginning. If matter can not be created nor destroyed, only changed, then where did everything come from. Thats where scientists come up with the "big bang theory".

If you think that most christians, believe in evolution and that Adam and Eve is just a metephor, then show me your evidence on that statement.

If you really want me to I will go to that effort.  You do realize that European Christians accept evolution. You do realize that the Pope accepts evolution?

I don't know a single Christian that believes that.

Why don’t you go ask the Christians who post in the Christian only Evolution forum and see if you can find One Christian who accepts that the story of Adam and Eve is not to be taken literally.

"Theorys are believed"
Again, theories are accepted until such time that the evidence no longer supports the theory.  You can call that belief if you want but it is still CONDITIONAL.

Look up the definition of "believed" it says "to have religous faith" and to "have an opinion".

Are you actually trying to use dictionary definitions to discuss these issues? I believe that you are.

Upvote 0

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
i don't believe in posting the ten commandments in public schools. private schools are more then welcome - they recieve no government funding and can do as they please. but posting the commandments in a school where people of assorted faiths attend is discriminatory and disrespectful. i think if students want to talk about the commandments with their friends, then cool. if a teacher was doing a social science or literature project that mention religion, he or she could display items regarding to religion, but to impose the religion on people is horrid.

i know some people want this because they want religious beliefs taught in school, but think about it from other peoples perspectives. they are raising their kids a different way, or the child is not a believe. imposing values is not a good thing.

as a christian, how would you feel if the schools decided to teach wicca? if wiccan rede's were posted in schools? your child recited prayers to the goddess and cast a circle as part of the morning ritual? you would be offended, probably...and that's the same way others feel.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yesterday at 08:47 PM crazyfingers said this in Post #103

Did you not read any of what was posted above for you to read? Theories DO NO BECOME LAWS.  That is not how science works!

So I guess that you were not aware of the fact that Newton’s Law of Gravity” was replaced by the Theory of Relativity? Your understanding here is woefully inadequate.

It was found that the old Law of Gravity, while it worked in normal situations, broke down in extreme cases of gravity and speed.  It was replaced by a theory – the Theory of Relativity. 

If you really want me to I will go to that effort.  You do realize that European Christians accept evolution. You do realize that the Pope accepts evolution?

Why don’t you go ask the Christians who post in the Christian only Evolution forum and see if you can find One Christian who accepts that the story of Adam and Eve is not to be taken literally.

Again, theories are accepted until such time that the evidence no longer supports the theory.  You can call that belief if you want but it is still CONDITIONAL.

Are you actually trying to use dictionary definitions to discuss these issues? I believe that you are.

Where is it written that theorys can not become law?

Prove to me that the law of gravity was replaced by the theory of reletivity. I don't remember hearing that.

I am sure I could find one Christian that could believe just about anything, but you said "most". Now show me these people, or some kind of evidence that gives you faith in believing such a statement.

Yes I am using the dictionary, just like you are using manipulation.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yesterday at 08:50 PM feral said this in Post #104

i don't believe in posting the ten commandments in public schools. private schools are more then welcome - they recieve no government funding and can do as they please. but posting the commandments in a school where people of assorted faiths attend is discriminatory and disrespectful. i think if students want to talk about the commandments with their friends, then cool. if a teacher was doing a social science or literature project that mention religion, he or she could display items regarding to religion, but to impose the religion on people is horrid.

i know some people want this because they want religious beliefs taught in school, but think about it from other peoples perspectives. they are raising their kids a different way, or the child is not a believe. imposing values is not a good thing.

as a christian, how would you feel if the schools decided to teach wicca? if wiccan rede's were posted in schools? your child recited prayers to the goddess and cast a circle as part of the morning ritual? you would be offended, probably...and that's the same way others feel.

Religion is a set of beliefs. By you saying "to impose the religion on people is horrid." You are pushing your religion/beliefs on me.

I don't mind wicca or any other religion in schools, I think that freedom of speech should reign. Becuase I believe that the truth will win out. I believe that faith comes by hearing of the word, and that the devil is the one trying to attack freedom of speech, because he also believes that faith comes by hearing of the word.

No religion, is a religion.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Today at 02:52 PM SUNSTONE said this in Post #105

Prove to me that the law of gravity was replaced by the theory of reletivity. I don't remember hearing that.

I am sure I could find one Christian that could believe just about anything, but you said "most". Now show me these people, or some kind of evidence that gives you faith in believing such a statement.

First, you will need to explain what you mean by the Law of Gravity. I'm a junior physics major, and we haven't mentioned any such law in any of my classes. If you are refering to Newton's inverse square law of gravitation, I must inform you that it has been proven wrong. Here is a link explaining general relativity. Newton's model of gravity is a useful approximation, but in the end it is only an approximation, not a law of nature.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Today at 03:52 PM SUNSTONE said this in Post #105

Well I had this all written out and then I had a crash and I lost it.  So I'll have to write it again at some point, howerver it hardly seems worth it. 

However I have an interesting statistic for you SUN.

A recent survey shows that for those people who could identify the correct definition of evolution, 70% supported teaching it in public school.  Of those who could not identify the correct definition for evolution, among two multiple choice questions, 55% did not support teaching it in public schools.  So, those who have no clue what it is do not want it in public schools while those who can at leave identify the correct definition do want it in public schools.  Amazing.

And only 50% of those who had even heard the term before could identify the correct definition. And they think that they know enough to even have an opinion?

Source

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Sorry, I didn't see it.

I went and looked at it, but there isn't any info of how many people that were surveyed, how it was surveyed. It just indicates that everyone that took place in the survey was American.

Did you notice that the survey gave 3 answers to the question of, how close is the theory of evolution to being proven? No answer was given like "its proven". It just gives "close, not close, and I don't know".

Thats where terms like the missing link come in. Time Magazine did an article on it front cover called "evolution in crises". Are you familier with this article?

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Today at 02:16 PM SUNSTONE said this in Post #111

Did you notice that the survey gave 3 answers to the question of, how close is the theory of evolution to being proven? No answer was given like "its proven". It just gives "close, not close, and I don't know".

That could be because the designers of the survey know what a scientific theory is and that theories are never "Proven".  They simply gain support by the evidence or lose support by the evidence.

Thats where terms like the missing link come in. Time Magazine did an article on it front cover called "evolution in crises". Are you familier with this article? 

I have not read it. The only people who think that, on a scientific basis, evolution is in crises are those who do not understand it or who blindly accept religious answers and dismiss actual evidence.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Today at 02:16 PM SUNSTONE said this in Post #111

Sorry, I didn't see it.

I went and looked at it, but there isn't any info of how many people that were surveyed, how it was surveyed. It just indicates that everyone that took place in the survey was American.

Here is their methodology statement.

Here is the index.

Upvote 0