separation agreement for UMC

Methodized

God is love and in God there is no darkness.
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My reading is that the WCA doesn't want the current UMC organization. They won't be large enough to fund it, and it is staffed by progressives. They'd much rather than $25M and build their own. The super-majority requirement to leave may end up getting changed. It was something the WCA gave up in negotiations. But again, I'm not sure they want churches that are 50/50. They want to build an Evangelical denomination. That's easier with churches that are committed to their goal.

Now that General Conference has been postponed due to Covid-19, we will have to see what happens as all these decisions are on hold.

Upvote 0

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Without a GC, doesn't the traditional plan start to take effect? Will annual conferences comply? One whole jurisdiction and several annual conferences seem to have said no. Is that likely to be more widespread?

The Traditional Plan took effect on January 1, 2020. But the Western Jurisdiction will not comply with it. And Bishops promised a moratorium on charges until GC. I hope they will continue that until the GC is rescheduled.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The Traditional Plan took effect on January 1, 2020. But the Western Jurisdiction will not comply with it. And Bishops promised a moratorium on charges until GC. I hope they will continue that until the GC is rescheduled.
I haven't found a copy of the Traditional Plan as finally adopted. But from memory and looking at the judicial council review, it looks like review invalidated primarily the loyalty oath. So the main provision is tighter enforcement on ordination of gays and gay marriage, and provisions to leave. To your knowledge, is ordination of gays and gay marriage happening? If not, then effectively the plan is in effect.

Upvote 0

Methodized

Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I haven't found a copy of the Traditional Plan as finally adopted. But from memory and looking at the judicial council review, it looks like review invalidated primarily the loyalty oath. So the main provision is tighter enforcement on ordination of gays and gay marriage, and provisions to leave. To your knowledge, is ordination of gays and gay marriage happening? If not, then effectively the plan is in effect.

The loyalty oath was most definitely ruled unconstitutional. The creation of new draconian penalties for performing a same sex marriage went into effect. (1 year suspension for first conviction, removal of ministerial credentials for the second offense.)

These penalties are the ONLY mandatory penalties in the Book of Discipline for any offense of any kind. Basically making performing a same sex wedding the greatest sin above all others. Its a total theological disaster. The severity of the penalties is what caused moderates to join progressives in repudiating the 2019 GC and refusing to let it be the last word.

The ordination of LGBTQ+ persons has been happening all along as the previous standard was "self-affirming practicing." It was a don't ask don't tell policy. As long as you didn't say you were gay to the Bishop or the Board of Ordained Ministry you would be ordained. Basically the Discipline mandated that policy of asking LGBTQ+ folx to be duplicitous to get ordained.

As to weddings, yes there are clergy who are performing the weddings as both an act of disobedience to an unjust rule and also because they have been asked to do so by a parishioner and believe they should offer all the ministries of the Church equally.

Upvote 0